Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 w/Diesel buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck

Old 08-31-2021, 09:10 PM

does it give any error codes? maybe the transfer case servo motor is sticking from not being used in that position.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:27 PM

let me ask another Question, would you buy this, setup, with no paperwork to back it, for say 50k, or go buy a newer, 2008-2009 model (updated dash) etc, for say 20-25k, then go add 33-35k for the conversion, and know exactly what you got? I mean, that is kind of a no brainer question. Let me re-ask. Lets say I am dead set on having one of these, and I can easily see I can get into a newer, similar mileage body (160-200k), then have it converted by a reputable source, such a Predator/Mash Motors, 55-60k, At what price do you choice the undocumented vehicle over the Predator/ Mash Motors vehicle? 45K? 40? Lower? I am just asking what you would personally do. Thanks again!

Old 09-01-2021, 09:11 PM

someone was selling a diesel conversion on here not too long ago and was asking a bit less.
as for me i am happy with my 6.0 gas engine that i paid 9k for

Last edited by bronxteck; 09-01-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
This is the guy who did the conversion. lol, without the wig. He seems rather smart

Old 09-03-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wraypau
This is the guy who did the conversion. lol, without the wig. He seems rather smart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGS...ab_channel=CBS
"DID"???????????

Old 09-05-2021, 11:04 AM

I'm sure you are itchy to pay for fear of missing out. But I agree with a previous poster: Wouldn't you rather pay a reasonable amount of $$ for a used H2 with original equipment and then pay to have it converted to a diesel by a reputable shop and know what you have? This can probably be done for the $50k the seller is looking to get for this truck.....why would you buy the unknown history? Besides, when your H2 is being converted it will give you the opportunity to inspect, replace, re-coat, seal, etc, the rest of the vehicle....you will end up with something nicer and know where/why/who it all came from. Seems a no-brainer.

Now, if the seller were willing to take $25k for this truck, that might make it a different story.

Good luck! H2 is awesome and if you are a truck person, you will love it. Heck, even if you are not a truck person.

Last edited by ben1272; 09-05-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2021, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ben1272
I'm sure you are itchy to pay for fear of missing out. But I agree with a previous poster: Wouldn't you rather pay a reasonable amount of $$ for a used H2 with original equipment and then pay to have it converted to a diesel by a reputable shop and know what you have? This can probably be done for the $50k the seller is looking to get for this truck.....why would you buy the unknown history? Besides, when your H2 is being converted it will give you the opportunity to inspect, replace, re-coat, seal, etc, the rest of the vehicle....you will end up with something nicer and know where/why/who it all came from. Seems a no-brainer.

Now, if the seller were willing to take $25k for this truck, that might make it a different story.

Good luck! H2 is awesome and if you are a truck person, you will love it. Heck, even if you are not a truck person.
Thanks for the advice. I think you are correct sir!

Really, thank you all for the advice. Yes, I am itchy in fear of missing out, but in the end, agree that you are correct in buying a nice used one and getting the convert added myself from reputable builder. In saying that, what company would you recommend? I believe the predator in Tampa would be closest, as I am in NW Florida.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wraypau
let me ask another Question, would you buy this, setup, with no paperwork to back it, for say 50k, or go buy a newer, 2008-2009 model (updated dash) etc, for say 20-25k, then go add 33-35k for the conversion, and know exactly what you got? I mean, that is kind of a no brainer question. Let me re-ask. Lets say I am dead set on having one of these, and I can easily see I can get into a newer, similar mileage body (160-200k), then have it converted by a reputable source, such a Predator/Mash Motors, 55-60k, At what price do you choice the undocumented vehicle over the Predator/ Mash Motors vehicle? 45K? 40? Lower? I am just asking what you would personally do. Thanks again!
First, In answer to your questions, without paperwork or knowing the quality of the build or builder no. Second you will be hard pressed to find an 08/09 for 20-25k unless it has over 150k miles. Next, unless I totally knew about the build and could verify how things were done, how complete the upgrade was done and knowing exactly the condition of the LLY for me the limit would be less then 25K. You could buy this thing and spend a fortune on it just getting it right and having something you can trust to not break down or give you major headaches. Also consider this you wont be able to take this to your local GM dealer for issues with computer or system problems, the best you could hope for is to approach Mash or Predator and ask them if they would be willing to straighten it out if needs be.

Finally, if you do go with an 08/09 you can use the newer LML duramax which puts out more hp and torque and the allison trans and transfer case has been upgraded to the added torque the LML makes. If you go this route it will cost you a great deal more BUT you will know exactly what you have, and when you sell it you can expect a premium for it because of the year and newer duramax engine. I would have loved to had a duramax in my 06 SUT that I recently sold off but when I did the math and checked the bottom line it did not make good sense. I purchased an 08 in great condition and very happy with the 6.2 L92 engine matched with the 6L80 6 speed transmission. Again a LML Duramax in my 08 would no doubt but in the long run all I would have done is spent a lot of money for a toy and in the long run I doubt would ever be able to fully recover my investment. Add to this the ever changing issues with the EPA and the tree-huggers pushing electric cars you might end up with something that you could only sell in a limited market.

Bottom line, if you got the disposable cash and you absolutely must have it then go for it and be happy, I think that just about covers it.

Best of luck and wishing you the best, keep us all posted.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
First, In answer to your questions, without paperwork or knowing the quality of the build or builder no. Second you will be hard pressed to find an 08/09 for 20-25k unless it has over 150k miles. Next, unless I totally knew about the build and could verify how things were done, how complete the upgrade was done and knowing exactly the condition of the LLY for me the limit would be less then 25K. You could buy this thing and spend a fortune on it just getting it right and having something you can trust to not break down or give you major headaches. Also consider this you wont be able to take this to your local GM dealer for issues with computer or system problems, the best you could hope for is to approach Mash or Predator and ask them if they would be willing to straighten it out if needs be.

Finally, if you do go with an 08/09 you can use the newer LML duramax which puts out more hp and torque and the allison trans and transfer case has been upgraded to the added torque the LML makes. If you go this route it will cost you a great deal more BUT you will know exactly what you have, and when you sell it you can expect a premium for it because of the year and newer duramax engine. I would have loved to had a duramax in my 06 SUT that I recently sold off but when I did the math and checked the bottom line it did not make good sense. I purchased an 08 in great condition and very happy with the 6.2 L92 engine matched with the 6L80 6 speed transmission. Again a LML Duramax in my 08 would no doubt but in the long run all I would have done is spent a lot of money for a toy and in the long run I doubt would ever be able to fully recover my investment. Add to this the ever changing issues with the EPA and the tree-huggers pushing electric cars you might end up with something that you could only sell in a limited market.

Bottom line, if you got the disposable cash and you absolutely must have it then go for it and be happy, I think that just about covers it.

Best of luck and wishing you the best, keep us all posted.
That's what I am talking about. That is the "Mic Drop", answer of all answers. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: H2 w/Diesel buying advice