Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 rear drop when parked

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:03 AM

I have run into the metal barbs that prevent the tube from coming out causing a scratch on a tube when being removed before. If that happens you can either try cutting some of the tube off if there is enough length and it is not near bend or replace the tube. If you cut a tube, make sure to smooth the outer edge a tiny bit so there is no risk of the sharp edge damaging the o-ring in the fitting. Always make sure to press the tube release ring down firmly, preferably by placing something around it that will allow you to press as much of the ring as possible (instead of just a couple of points) and make sure to pull the tube out straight or there will be a risk of scarring/scratching the end of the tube that must seal. Something like the tools sold for removing modern push to connect plumbing fittings - basically a flat c shape that just barely fits over the actual tube to press down on the ring that compresses the barbs to allow the pipe to be released. I cannot remember exactly what I made one out of but it was a random small piece of hard flat plastic that I drilled a hole in that is the OD of the tube and then cut the edge to the hole I drilled.

@oceanbrave Yeah I think yours just needed a bit more time for the o-ring to conform nicely to the tube. Sometimes a seal like an o-ring just needs a little bit of time to settle in and conform to any slight defects or very light scuffs on a tube.

Also, on most push fit air line fittings, you can carefully pry the release ring out and access the o-rings that are down below the barbs that secure the tube. There are generally two o-rings with a few mm of space between them.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Mixman- great info & explanation. Wish I had read this 10 months ago when I did my air bag replacement - lol. I may pull wheel well liners and soapy water the fittings just to check,
Question- does your air suspension cycle on and run when started often when doors shut and not moving , I notice mine overnight usually does that every morning but goes off after it levels-

Old 09-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Have to confess I didn't go as far as removing the fitting and cleaning the O-Rings this time, it's only been 12 months since they were last done. I used a lint free cloth and IPA, but as I recall very little dirt came out.

It could be my O-Rings have degraded and maybe needed replacing.

Like you say, it only take a scratch, an indent or some dirt particles to cause a problem.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
Mixman- great info & explanation. Wish I had read this 10 months ago when I did my air bag replacement - lol. I may pull wheel well liners and soapy water the fittings just to check,
Question- does your air suspension cycle on and run when started often when doors shut and not moving , I notice mine overnight usually does that every morning but goes off after it levels-
Mine used to always run for a few seconds on startup but there is a software update that took care of that. However it does still come on for a few seconds here and there, especially if you are on any sort of an incline where the center of gravity shifts. It is just adjusting the air ride level. Even at that though, its not all the time or every time. If it does it everytime after sitting overnight it probably has a tiny leak somewhere but not enough to be visually noticeable. With a bright flashlight and looking from creative angles you can also see the various fittings on the compressor shelf too. I used a spray bottle with dome dish soap and water with the nozzle on stream to spray things.