Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 Air suspension install questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 10:31 PM

I have given up on trying to get the suspension parts out of a salvage yard. About the only way to get all the pieces and parts would be to purchase either a wrecked 08/09 with the option or a super high mileage one but would have to count on the fact the compressor would probably be shot.

I think I might be able to get a 6mm air line connector and a 1/4 in part. I will turn them down on a lathe and try to re-thread them or possibly braze them together without destroying them or causing them to leak. If I am successful I will have an adapter that will get me from the factory metric air bags lines to a firestone compressor system. There are versions of the compressor that will allow you to use a bluetooth smarphone and app to control the air pressure so you could change it on the fly. I need to track down an exploded view of how the airbags mount into the body and to the axle. I know I will at least need to find 2 GM part15172565. As soon as I resolve the air line issue I think I can make this work. There won't be any tie into the BCM or buttons on the dash but it will be a very simple and easy to maintain system.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:32 AM

eBay lists an Imperial 1/4" Push-fit to Metric 6mm Push-fit connector here they have most conversion sizes except 8mm, maybe this as hummerz suggests it's not needed.

there may be better inline plastic fitting out there, this must happen a lot.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:25 AM
Old 01-12-2022, 07:52 AM

You could still utilize a factory compressor shelf. The plus with that is you already have a nice engineered mounting setup, a top notch compressor, and an inline drier that all bolts right up with zero fiddling and modification. Might even be easier to go with an older single style one as it will be simpler to wire up. Just will need to get power back to it. Just do not use the control module, etc on the shelf.

Air Lift is the brand I have on my S10 and they do make a nice wireless digital controller. I have the analog one which does require running air lines into the cab and installing the small gauge panel with a switch and two deflate buttons. Super easy to use. When I first got it, it was direct from the compressor>to the air solenoids> to the air springs. That setup did work fine but it was a bit slow to add air to the springs for when I had a heavy load as it was 100% reliant on the compressor. So I actually just a few week ago added a 3 gallon air tank, pressure switch, another solenoid for air horns, and added a schrader valve fitting to the tank, and keep a factory GM air hose so I can now also inflate tires and of course have a very very loud air horn as well. It really is simple to setup.

There are a lot of brands for various parts out there as well. I used Utah Pneumatic stuff from Amazon. I did use the cheaper nylon push connect fittings but better would be brass or nickel DOT approved ones. Since I used to have an ambualnce service I had some parts laying around from a couple of trucks that had been scrapped so I did already have an air tank, some horns, and a few other bits laying around though so that did save some money.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:43 PM

H2-SUT were these of any interest to you?

Old 01-14-2022, 02:18 PM

Thanks Ocean, if I go the route MixmanSC suggests then I would not need an adapter, but if I go the aftermarket setup then the one on 1/4 to 6mm ebay looks like it might fit the bill.

I will start looking for the early model h2 suspension compressor, if I can find one in decent shape I will grab that. It should be rather to get switched power to, then all I would need is a 2 position rocker and relay to start the compressor or operate the bleed valve,

About the only snag I see going this route would be the condition of the compressor and shelf. I know the first design was rather simple, I believe the second design added a second compressor and the third probably just got more complicated.

This also looks like a possibility that might work, I would need to find out what pressures I need and this units capabilities, take a look:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Yukon&_sacat=0

I'm doing my best to avoid pitfalls and research this out carefully, I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that will not work and since I no longer have an ebay sellers account for the most part i will be stuck with it if I fuuuk up. Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:22 PM

H2-SUT regarding the pressures, if it's any help I can use a Tech2 to readout the pressures at normal and extended ride-heights and how long it takes.

These figures might provide an indication of what the max pressure needs to be for max inflation and minimum flow rate.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:39 PM

It just so happens that I have a first style compressor shelf that I'd sell. I've actually pulled the control module off of it at some point (which you would not need anyways using a aftermarket controller). I can check the compressor and make sure it is good. Thomas makes those compressors which are top notch. I'd imagine you could even use the dual solenoid block for independent control. Just would take a bit of fiddling to figure some of the wiring out - air solenoids are dead simple, the coil to actuate one is not even polarity dependent.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
It just so happens that I have a first style compressor shelf that I'd sell. I've actually pulled the control module off of it at some point (which you would not need anyways using a aftermarket controller). I can check the compressor and make sure it is good. Thomas makes those compressors which are top notch. I'd imagine you could even use the dual solenoid block for independent control. Just would take a bit of fiddling to figure some of the wiring out - air solenoids are dead simple, the coil to actuate one is not even polarity dependent.
MixmanSC, do you know if the control module is required to operate the dump air control? I will see if I can dig up a schematic for the first design system. If you can snap a picture of it, thx

Old 01-15-2022, 11:52 AM

This diagram might be useful...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AS - Wiring.pdf (471.1 KB, 24 views)

Quick Reply: H2 Air suspension install questions