PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Place for Mounting Rocker Switches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Default Good Place for Mounting Rocker Switches?

I want to cut my push button switches off and splice in "zombie light" rocker switch buttons. Though the H2 has a gigantic dash, there's seemingly no where that I can see to put rocker switches that will look good. I have 2 and they're enclosed in a flush mounting case. My only idea was next to the drivers side vent but there seems to be just not quite enough room, I don't want to cut into my dash unless I know it's going to work out. See attached pictures. Has anyone successfully mounted rocker switches flush into their dash somewhere? The switch housing is 2.362 inches by 2.362 inches

Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find open space behind the dash panels. I believe there is stuff behind most of the dash pieces so you'd be cutting not only through the outer plastic but also the metal underneath.

You could do what I did....

Obviously that was a ton of work but definitely worth it. More pics in my build thread if you're interested.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 AM

That looks cool!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I think you'd be hard pressed to find open space behind the dash panels. I believe there is stuff behind most of the dash pieces so you'd be cutting not only through the outer plastic but also the metal underneath.

Obviously that was a ton of work but definitely worth it. More pics in my build thread if you're interested.
how does that remove from the headliner? Is it just the 2 bolts and then it slides out pulling toward the windshield?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:50 AM

Yep - easy as can be. For what its worth, the OEM optional off road lights (brush guard and/or roof rack mounted) also have the switch installed there. That being said the switches are much smaller and not labelled but they do fit great there.

A pic of the stock one is on this page. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...h-39272/page2/

You can buy that style switch on eBay or Amazon for very cheap. The nicer ones with the labels a tiny bit more but do take a little bit more work to install.

Also remember that almost none of the switches are capable of switching a heavy current load directly and need to be used with a relay.

So - here is something I'm hoping I can make come to fruition. I'm trying to work with a manufacturer who makes an awesome (but quite pricey) 6 channel solid state switching module to make the button pad in a single row version. If I can get them to produce one that way it will fit perfect on the front edge of the ceiling console. It would look like the attached. This slick setup has button labels you can easily change. A single smaller cable to the main solid state switching/relay module. The module is programmable via bluetooth and you can configure a full range of color for the button pad but more importantly adjust a lot of of the switch module works. You can configure one button to cut on multiple outputs for instance. You can set certain outputs to have strobe modes.

There is a company that already imports these into the US and they are very very highly regarded but currently the only button pad available is a dual row (2 rows of 4 buttons) which does not really fit anywhere very well in a lot of vehicles but that could be worked around with a custom 3D printed bezel.

Last edited by MixManSC; 06-07-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963

How do I disconnect these? I'm paranoid about breaking them. I've tried and tried and they don't budge. All the others came apart easily

Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM

I finally got the green one out...cannot figure out big blue

Old 06-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Press in with something at the red dot.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Press in with something at the red dot.

That's actually what I've been trying. I'm pulling so hard it feels like it's going to break. Does it take a lot of force for it to unplug?

Old 06-08-2018, 03:10 PM

FINALLY got it out. I'll post pictures if I can figure out a good place to mount the buttons

Quick Reply: Good Place for Mounting Rocker Switches?