Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Goes into gear but h2 just revs doesn’t move.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:49 AM
Default Goes into gear but h2 just revs doesn’t move.

Hi I was driving down the highway and my hummer made a reving noise and then would not move.
t goes into gear but when I hit the accelerator it just revs but does not move.
it even shows on the dash as moving from p d n and reverse.
i have checked the shift cable going to the transmission as is all ok.
please help?

Old 12-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to HF.

H2 questions go in the H2 section.

Miles on the truck? Important when asking any question.

Ever have a automatic transmission failure before? That is what you are describing. When was the last Trans fluid and filter change?

Old 12-26-2018, 01:08 PM

Don’t know when the last filter change was, mileage is 60 k

Old 12-26-2018, 01:12 PM

I'm assuming you have checked the transmission fluid....

Old 12-26-2018, 03:38 PM

Yes hi it was a abit murky but topped it up, let it run for an hour or so and not getting any burning smell. Also checked the shift lever connected to transmission and seem ok. The dash recognises the change in gears and get a slight rev when shifting through gears. Shifts through gears without pressing brake pedal.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 PM

If for some reason your transfer case is in its neutral position then you would have this symptom.... that being said it can also roll regardless of the shifter position, including in park, if the transfer case is fully disengaged in neutral.

Otherwise- murky as in milky looking? Hope not but if so you will likely need to replace the radiator and have the transmission rebuilt. Milky trans fluid is generally a sure sign that the divider in the radiator between the transmission cooler and main radiator has failed and allowed engine coolant to get sucked through the transmission. Not super common as in it will happen to everyone but that is not terribly uncommon either. Can happen on most any of the GM trucks and SUV's that have a radiator with the integrated transmission cooler. A popular modification is to bypass the radiator integrated cooler and use an aftermarket trans cooler to prevent that from ever happening. I've had 2 GM trucks with the same setup, the old Silverado was at 390,000 miles when I sold it. My GMC and H2 I still have and both are well over 100,000 miles. None of mine have ever had that happen but you do hear about a good bit online. I know lots of people locally who have never had it happen either.

In any case, if its not the transfer case then - something is very wrong. Remote possibility that it could also be electrical but I'm not sure. I'd think physically the lever will engage a gear but I know the transmission shift points are electronically controlled. I'm just unsure if electrically it could make it remain in neutral or park regardless of the shifter position. That seems unlikely to me.

Last edited by MixManSC; 12-27-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:35 AM
Default Similar issue

I am having the exact same issue with my H2. Sounds identical to what mine is doing right now and would love to hear a resolution for the issue. I can't get the key to come out of the ignition since this happened either.
Would love some guidance here.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by fox.nichole007
I am having the exact same issue with my H2. Sounds identical to what mine is doing right now and would love to hear a resolution for the issue. I can't get the key to come out of the ignition since this happened either.
Would love some guidance here.
Your's sounds cable related. Common problem. Check the cable on the trans linkage.....

Old 08-11-2021, 12:04 PM

yup bushing on shift cable shattered look at shift linkage at transmission the cable should be attached to the arm. if not then need a new cable or find a bushing that works. sometimes the range selector arm needs to also be replaced because the pin rots

Old 08-12-2021, 04:17 PM

Everything outside the transmission up to the shifter is intact. I can manipulate it through the gears from underneath and the shifter moves accordingly.
when its runningrunning move shifter into gear its making a sound like it wants to go into gear, but won't. Doesn't make the sound in drive position, but does in all other gears. Kind of a ticking sound.
I've disconnected the battery overnight in hopes that it was an electronic issue that would reset, but still the same.

Quick Reply: Goes into gear but h2 just revs doesn’t move.