Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Engine noise different between two H2's

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Default Engine noise different between two H2's

So I purchased a second H2, both are 2003 models. My first H2, most noticeable when passing thru 1-2-3 sounds like a woosh of air, like a bigger freight hauler. I don't know how else to explain it, I sort of like the sound, maybe I'm just used to it now, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, I bought another H2 last month and I noticed, it does not make this sound...at all. It's just engine noise. I found one odd ticking sound almost like lifter noise but I found it was actually coming from underneath, there is a small belt pulley that might be loose, but that's actually casing the ticking. I'm not sure what exactly makes that air sound, would it be different main cooling fans? All of the shroud material looks identical. I'm going to check the air cleaner. Another difference is the AC which I remember posting in another thread that the 03 models the AC is off when the snowflake is present and that is true on my new H2, but the old one, and again it's also 03, the snowflake must be on for AC. So either the unit was replaced at sometime or maybe it was a late enough model it got an 04 unit.

So does your H2 have the air woosh sound? lol.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:23 PM

Clutch fan, my 05 did that until I replaced the clutch fan then it was much quieter, the snowflake is another issue, I was under the impression that when the snowflake is lit the compressor is active

Last edited by H2-SUT; 08-12-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:53 PM

Ah, I think you're right. So the problem isn't on my new H2 it's on the old one. It's a loud woosh of air. Is there any problem with leaving it alone? I sort of like the sound, lol. Yeah it probably needs replaced. The ac unit, there was a post on here that 03 models the snowflake has to be off for ac to be on, but one of my 03's it has to be on, that was all, no issue. Just found that on the 03 I just bought that the snowflake has to be off so they're different even though both are 03.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:46 PM

I'm thinking they changed it mid-year 2003 for 04. The one that the snowflake has to be on, is manufactured in june. So it probably was fitted with the newer unit. Or maybe it got replaced at some point. Seems weird that it was ever snowflake off for ac on, I think there's a line thru it but it makes more sense to just have the snowflake for AC.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bad_runner
Ah, I think you're right. So the problem isn't on my new H2 it's on the old one. It's a loud woosh of air. Is there any problem with leaving it alone? I sort of like the sound, lol. Yeah it probably needs replaced. The ac unit, there was a post on here that 03 models the snowflake has to be off for ac to be on, but one of my 03's it has to be on, that was all, no issue. Just found that on the 03 I just bought that the snowflake has to be off so they're different even though both are 03.

Just to be sure keep an eye on the temp gauge initially until your sure you are cooling properly, otherwise forget about it and enjoy the silence, lol

Old 08-14-2021, 08:19 PM

Was thinking, since the fan clutch is probably seized, it's engaged all the time now. The way I see it, that's better. It offers more cooling but at the cost of more noise. I sort of like the extra sound, makes the engine sound hefty. If the other H2 does it eventually I'll just leave it too.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:29 PM

Mine was locked up also, I did replace it and the H2 was much quieter. I also noticed a change in gas mileage (for the better) no doubt it does cool better seized up. GM dumped the clutch fan in 08 and went to electric fans, my guess is for the fuel economy.

In reality the fans are not even necessary at highway speeds as the amount of air passing through the grille is plenty to keep the engine cooled properly. If you do decide to replace it make sure you get at least GM quality as it is a really important part.

Cheers,

Old 08-15-2021, 01:38 AM

Yes, I only buy AC Delco and Doorman unless there's nothing else. Replaced windshield washer pump and wiper motor recently, that was a lot of fun and $ but only genuine parts. I just bought a window motor regulator, have to replace one on the 2nd H2 I bought. I had to replace one on the last one too, same window and about 3 actuators on the HVAC. I wouldn't think it would make a lot of difference in fuel. I get 14 on hwy, in town like 10 at best but that's about right. It really gives the engine a roar, I just thought it was normal until I drove the new one. it just sounds so quite I really thought something was wrong with it. I've never seen the gauge hit 210, it's usually a little under that at most.