Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Edge CTS2 Insight and Evolution, Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Default Edge CTS2 Insight and Evolution, Worth it?

I had a little incident this weekend that kinda moved up my rear camera project. While backing out of my garage this weekend I backed over a Squirrel that I did not see. Well, so much for the Squirrel but it could have been a neighbors dog or something much more important. Anyway, I was planning on adding a rear camera after purchasing an Edge Evolution or Insight unit down the road but I have decided to move it up on the list.

Edge sells 2 CTS2 products for the Hummer, the Evolution which has 3 performance programming curves that is suppose to enhance the performance of the H2, it allows reprogramming tire sizes and a number of other thing, The other is the Insight which has all of the features except the ability to change any of the vehicle programming. Both allow the addition of a camera that can be programmed to display when going into reverse or when the vehicle is started which is something I really need.

Anyway, what I would like to know is anyone here have any experience with the Evolution, is it worth a crap and the extra cost? The Evolution is $611, the Insight is $434. If the tunes that are included in the Evolution are worthless I don't see the need to dump almost $200 for that. I have read the reviews and for the most part they are a mixed bag. They were mostly for GM trucks and SUV's but none were on the H2. I dont plan on changing tire sizes or making mods to the engine other then adding a trans cooler and trying to get my water temperatures lower.

The Edge CTS2 product is fantastic in monitoring functionality and gives you a great deal of information you normally cannot see. Both units are capable of pulling up and displaying codes and minimal diagnostics. Plus a slew of other features. I think I would probably be happy with the Insight but if the Evolution could possibly get me better performance and mpg it might be worth the extra money in the long haul.

Opinions and Experiences please!
Thanks

Evolution link: https://www.etrailer.com/Performance...6/EP85450.html
Insight link: https://www.carid.com/2008-hummer-h2...379667116.html

Last edited by H2-SUT; 07-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 PM

My thoughts..... if you ever want to maximize the tune by getting a custom tune done then you need to go with something like the Diablo Sport Intune. Most tuners are something that you will rarely have interest in looking at unless there is a problem. Torque app and a $10 bluetooth ODBII dongle on eBay will get you the same diagnostic info. The only thing that tuner does is give you 4 pre-made tunes and a screen.

For a backup camera you have a couple of other options. Many GPS units have an aux video input - I know some of the Garmin ones do that will switch to it for a camera. You can get a replacement rearview mirror that the screen is normally not visible but comes on (I had a Boyo one which was truly OEM quality and has the temp and compass like a factory mirror). If your factory stereo has a full screen I believe there are adapters to give a video in for the camera to display there like on the 08/09 models. Could go with an aftermarket stereo and tie a camera into that.

Main reason I say these other options is having extra gauges and whatnot on a tuner is a novelty that wears off fast and then you rarely look at it. Plus I dont personally want something like that stuck on my dash or hanging from the windshield all the time attracting thieves. Third - I have no idea if you could ever get a custom tune done for one of those. I've only ever seen custom tunes being done for (online tuner) Diablo Sport (from Lewis), or in person with an HP Tuners or an EFILive tuner. The Diablo Sport advantage is it does have premade tunes, you can adjust the tire size, and its dead simple to use. I have one and it works great and later getting a custom tune done up makes it even better.

Me personally. I'd go with adding a camera input to the stock stereo or changing to an aftermarket stereo or a replacement rearview mirror type. All 3 keep things looking rather stock. Then I'd get the Diablo Sport Intune. You can get those used (must verify that it has been unmarried) for a couple hundred bucks.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC

Me personally. I'd go with adding a camera input to the stock stereo or changing to an aftermarket stereo or a replacement rear view mirror type. All 3 keep things looking rather stock. Then I'd get the Diablo Sport Intune. You can get those used (must verify that it has been unmarried) for a couple hundred bucks.
The tune thing is really not that important as the camera. I just thought if someone here are good results with the Edge Evolution tuner/monitor I would consider. Performance wise I accept the H2 is somewhat a pig and that's expected considering the weight and engine size. A gas mileage improvement would be the best I could hope for.

I do wish there was an easy way to add the rear view camera to the factory Nav unit but as I understand it an aftermarket unit is required and it is not seamless to use. Factory equipped H2's with rear camera's had specially optioned NAV units. So far I have not found much on adding that option to mine.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:09 PM

There are several aftermarket solutions that allow you to use your factory nav as a video display. Here is one: https://www.navtool.com/hummer-h2-20...interface.aspx

Old 07-07-2019, 06:08 PM

I'm pretty sure Axxess also makes an interface and is probably less than $200. Still need to get a camera of course. The one clsimmon linked as well as the ones from Axxess, etc are pretty much as seamless with factory nav units. Put it in reverse and the image automagically appears on the screen.

This is the mirror I used to have in my truck (I ended up putting in an aftermarket double din stereo so sold the mirror and put the stock one back).
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by MixManSC; 07-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Sorry to those who responded on my response time, I have been doing homework on your suggestions,

Backup Camera: Well, Ive looked over all of the suggestions, Axxess unfortunately longer makes an interface for GM vehicles older then 2012, Navtool does have an interface for the original GM Nav radio but pointed questions to their tech support and very expensive costs raise a red flag plus if you buy it no returns if your unhappy with it.

There are also other aftermarket solutions that require the disassembly of the NAV unit, adding ribbon cables and a whole bunch of other shyt I would rather not do and they aren't cheap either. I would rather re-install the Kenwood DDX374BT first then do this.

Garmin navigator with camera, the best camera available for the specific Garmin I already have is the (bc30) which is a wireless camera. According to their tech support, use in an H2 Hummer could be problamatical, apearantly there are many reported problems when the camera is used in the H2 SUT/SUV when equipped with air suspension and issues with noise and bad image.

Edge Evolution/Insight, more detailed research indicates the Evolution (with tuner) for the most part would provide little bang for the buck other then providing a rear camera interface. The Insight would be a better choice but again is another box and costly. Plus now we have another box on the dashboard.

Mirror with rear camera, this one really peaked my interest and I hope MixMaxSC can speak on this since he bought one. I really like the factory mirror with the blue temp/compass that matches the DIC. I would like to know the quality of this unit, is it pin compatible with the old mirror and use the existing connector?, does it mount using the same hardware and how does the camera interface with it.. This may be the solution.

Gauge pod, another thing I stumbled upon is a H2 Gauge pod that mounts next to the A pillar on the drivers side: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...uge-pod-23654/
If I installed a trans and water temp gauge that's really the info I am interested in. I figure if I have the rear view mirror camera, factory nav and a good quality water and trans gauge I have the info I am concerned with and without adding a bunch of aftermarket boxes, Thank you all for your opinions and your time taken to share your experiences.

Last edited by H2-SUT; 07-12-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:23 AM

You already have water and trans temp gauges in your instrument cluster and they are as accurate as any other...

The mirrors are excellent quality. Literally as good as OEM. No - not pin compatible but still very simple. It does use the same mount already on your windshield. Your factory mirror has 4 wires. Positive and negative power which are for the compass and auto dimming and the other two are for the temperature sensor. The aftermarket mirror has the same 4 wires that are very easily spliced into the factory wires already at the factory mirror. Important to note - you do NOT have to use the temperature sensor it comes with. You already have one from the factory and you just splice into the wires for the factory one so no need to run wires through the firewall and to the front to install a temp sensor. Then it has a reverse lights trigger for the camera as well as a couple of composite RCA inputs for video. No bulk or anything shows, all of the wiring connections are above the headliner. It really is an elegant, clean and stock looking solution. Another feature I really liked on the Boyo mirror is that it has its own parking lines built in for the backup camera. Most backup cameras have the lines build into the camera (often they can be disabled if desired) but the problem with them being built into the camera itself is that they are not adjustable and generally not very accurate to the vehicle since they cannot account for camera mounting height, angle of camera, or position of the camera. So you get a camera that either had no built in lines or one that you can disable the built in lines. The reverse parking lines function in the mirror are fully adjustable with a remote it comes with and you can adjust and calibrate the parking lines for your specific scenario. I really only ever used the remote that one time when I first set it up and used it to configure the parking lines and the compass. There is an invisible touch area on the glass that you can press and bring up an on-screen menu as well to manually turn the camera on while not in reverse if you want or if you connect a second camera you can switch to that input and see its picture as well (maybe a front camera or one that looks directly at a ball on a trailer hitch for easy backing up to a trailer).

The one I linked to on Amazon - read the reviews and look at the pictures of it.
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 PM

I hooked up my old faithful GM tech 2 to see exactly how accurate the water temp and trans temp factory gauges are. Well not very much and I would say at least a 10% difference according to what the computer is reporting. I may just pull the cluster apart, remove the needless and put them back in place when the vehicle is at normal operating temperature and set them to what the Tech 2 says.. This way at least I know they are accurate when everything is up to temp and when it really matters. I would prefer some 270 degree sweep mechanicals but that would require the gauge pod and drilling through some parts I would rather not drill through.

Rear Camera: The jury is still out on this one, but I am leaning towards using MixManSC's rear view mirror idea. Seems like it could be the best solution short of removing the factory nav for a newer Kenwood or Pioneer unit. I imagine I could pull the mirror connector back inside the overhead console and splice into the original mirror wiring so not to disturb the original plug if I wish to reinstall the original mirror.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 AM

If accuracy is your concern you can add a potentiometer to the signal wire and adjust the gauge to the tech2

Old 07-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by legerwn
If accuracy is your concern you can add a potentiometer to the signal wire and adjust the gauge to the tech2
Interesting idea, I imagine I would need a very low value potentiometer and have a schematic of the cluster to figure out which lead would be affected. I think once I did get the correct gauge reading and dialed in the exact resistance I could read the value of the pot and find a 1/4 watt resistor to put inline.

Quick Reply: Edge CTS2 Insight and Evolution, Worth it?