Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Driveshaft/Transfer Case Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM

I would think the 4 wheel lock attempt would be easy to try, turn the key on but don't start the truck, put it in 4 hi lock then start the truck and see if the rear wheels pull.

This is what I've been seeing on the net searches I've done when trucks break and they need to get out of a bind when trailing.

Neal,

Old 08-22-2023, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by finall
You are missing something. That is a very simple test.

Find a loose gravel or sand road. Boot the truck. See if back tires spin or front tires spin. That is where the power is going.
I completely agree but finding legal soft ground in the big city ain’t so easy. Guess I need to find a construction site…

Old 08-22-2023, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
if it were me I would call around and talk to the local dyno shops, they will have experience with this type of issue as they will have to do something if they don't have an AWD capable dyno which most shops don't, also any 4 WD shop may have answers to your questions.

Neal
10/4. Tried that but they all want the truck for 3-4 weeks and I can’t afford that down time. I’d have to rent a car for the girlfriend to drive since the H2 is her main mode of transportation. Most of them agree that the t-case is shot when given the symptoms but that’s the biggest money maker over a sensor or likewise.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:46 PM

I would think the 4 wheel lock attempt would be easy to try, turn the key on but don't start the truck, put it in 4 hi lock then start the truck and see if the rear wheels pull.

This is what I've been seeing on the net searches I've done when trucks break and they need to get out of a bind when trailing.

Neal,
Gotcha. Will try that and the off-road test this weekend and see what it does. I’ve attached a photo so y’all can see the driveway that I’m working with. Not ideal haha.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:52 PM

Neal,
thinking more about this, I’ve seen the same threads but I can’t feel if the rear is pulling at all/more than the front, as I’m not sure that I’ve ever driven this truck without only the front pulling. It’s hard to judge a vehicle in all wheel drive if you’re being used to only four-wheel-drive your entire life. My F150 has an automatic all-wheel-drive selection that I’ll have to use in the rain when I’m pushing speed but I’m so used to the truck that I know what it should feel like.

I know it sounds like I’m making excuses, but I will try your suggestions. And I’ll make sure that I post a fix so anyone else who is having the same issue will know which direction to move. it’s just difficult to get anything done when you’re working 90 hours a week. I really appreciate all y’all guys help. I’ll report back early next week.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Robertb6963
Gotcha. Will try that and the off-road test this weekend and see what it does. I’ve attached a photo so y’all can see the driveway that I’m working with. Not ideal haha.
That HD bucket will not support the truck if the jack fails! Where are your wheel chocks located?

Old 08-22-2023, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
That HD bucket will not support the truck if the jack fails! Where are your wheel chocks located?
Home Depot bucket is the new creeper! I got rid of my old creeper and haven’t ordered the new Vector creeper. E-brake is the wheel chock hahahaha but seriously I was in a rush to replace both exhaust manifolds over night and had to be back at work at 5AM. No excuse for lack of safety but that’s never mattered much to me. I had a jack stand under there and a spare for the other side once I got it off the ground. Its sketchy but I gave it the earthquake test and it worked well.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Robertb6963
Home Depot bucket is the new creeper! I got rid of my old creeper and haven’t ordered the new Vector creeper. E-brake is the wheel chock hahahaha but seriously I was in a rush to replace both exhaust manifolds over night and had to be back at work at 5AM. No excuse for lack of safety but that’s never mattered much to me. I had a jack stand under there and a spare for the other side once I got it off the ground. Its sketchy but I gave it the earthquake test and it worked well.
whoops meant Vyper creeper. They are proud of those.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:14 PM

hats off to you, that is a heck of a slope to work on vehicles

Neal,

Old 08-22-2023, 09:16 PM

Quick Reply: Driveshaft/Transfer Case Confusion