Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

The dreaded door panel removal???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Default The dreaded door panel removal???

My passenger rear door lock has stopped working, all the other locks still lock and unlock as they should (I have an 04). I can see it trying to move when I use the fob, it just doesn't slide. It was working a few weeks ago and now it's not. Do I have no choice but to take the door panel off and investigate? I've never taken the door panels off on any door and I know they're prone to cracking and horribly expensive for a replacement. Any tips on this? Does the entire door panel need to come off to mess with the lock mechanism? What's the easiest way to remove the door panel? Is it all push clips you remove with pressure? Thanks for any tips y'all have!

Old 06-01-2019, 04:03 PM

I just took my drivers door panel off and it wasn’t that bad and nothing broke. There is a pretty good video on YouTube that shows the passenger side rear door. You need to have the plastic trim tools because you can’t really do any damage with them. They are only a few dollars on amazon or harbor freight. I will try to find the video for you.
I hope this link works?

Last edited by maxjeep; 06-01-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by maxjeep
I just took my drivers door panel off and it was that bad and nothing broke. There is a pretty good video on YouTube that shows the passenger side rear door. You need to have the plastic trim tools because you can’t really do any damage with them. They are only a few dollars on amazon or harbor freight. I will try to find the video for you.
I hope this link works?
https://youtu.be/yOTK-9_b51o
Thanks! I guess I'll take it apart and see what I can find. I'll post some pictures with the fix, or if I need more help

Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Removing the door panel was way easier than I thought. I got it off no problem using this tool with a cloth wrapped around it - didn't crack any of the plastic. You take off the door handle panel first which has 1 screw, then the 2 black 7mm bolts behind that. Then you use the pry tool to pop all the tabs, disconnect the light and speaker, and the whole door panel just lifts off (mine is a 2004).

Old 06-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Is anyone familiar with how this door lock mechanism works? I'm not a mechanic, just looking at it I don't understand what's wrong. When I push the lock or unlock it tries to move, but it just doesn't. Do I need to spray wd40 on it? LOL. It looks like at least part of it is lubed with a yellow grease(?). Please help. 😶😶😶

Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Ok the more I tested it, now it's happening on both rear doors.. I'm completely lost as to what's happening. For whatever reason the rear door locks don't push all the way when using the lock or unlock each time

Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Might be the actuator itself is just going out. Best I can suggest will be to try and find pictures that might help you determine how things should be and maybe how things should move. Might also help to pull the other door panel and observe the whole setup working correctly on that side to help figure it out. There are multiple rods involved which go to the inside handle, outside handle, inside lock slider, and to the latch mechanism. On the one rod you see the plastic bit over a threaded part of the rod. That clip can be released and reclipped further up or down the threaded bit as an adjustment.

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...er-h2-2003-07/

Pacific might also have other ones with pictures from other angles of of doors themselves, etc.

Also WD40 is a truly terrible lubricant. It is more for freeing things up and not at all for long term lubrication. It might help to get things moving though and then apply or spray some sort of other lube that will be good for the situation. The white stuff is probably a high end white lithium grease.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:05 AM

This was the only spray I could find
I agree with mixman don’t use wd40. It’s good for somewhere that is easily accessible like garage door wheels and stuff like that. I used this and it is really good because you can get it into tight spots like hinges and your rods. I would start lubing and work it by hand find the actuator and see what it’s doing, maybe get a mirror and look at it. I don’t know where it is located but it worked before just fine so you just need to find it.

Last edited by maxjeep; 06-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Good lord a new actuator for just 1 door is $150. I tried replacing the LOCKS fuse but I'm still having the problem. I guess I'll follow your advice and also remove the passenger front door panel and watch how it moves on a working door. It's weird that both rear actuators would go out at the exact same time though. They are moving, sometimes they'll lock or unlock halfway which is weird, so seems like something mechanical to me and not electronic, but I'm not positive.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Maybe take it out clean it lube it, clean the contacts and plug it back in outside the panel and see what it’s doing. You could try that first

Quick Reply: The dreaded door panel removal???