Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Cruise Control not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Default Cruise Control not working

Hey guys I'm getting a code for the PCM P0564. I was driving on the highway with cruise on and it just turned off. The check engine light is not on and that is the only code there is. The cruise control will not turn on. I have tried all combinations of buttons and switches and know I am testing it correctly. I dont own a multi meter but am more than willing to get one to test switches. Just looking for some direction on where to start? Could it be the PCM relay? Or the brake switch? That would be the easy fix. I want to try easy stuff before buying a 100$ multifunction switch and taking apart the steering column.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Causes for this P0564 code may include:
Multi-function/Cruise control switch defective (i.e. stuck, broken, missing, etc.)
Wring problem (e.g. chafing on steering column/dash parts, water intrusion, corrosion etc.)
Connector malfunction (e.g. corroded pins, broken plastic tabs, swollen connector body, etc.)
Fluids/dirt/grime in cruise control button/switch causing abnormal mechanical operation ECM issue (e.g. water intrusion in computer body, internal short, internal overheating, etc.)

I would check ALL of the connectors leading form the Cruise "stalk" down the steering column and beyond first.
Then replace the stalk itself.
It can also be the brake switch (it shuts off the cruise when you hit the brake pedal)

Old 02-14-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Causes for this P0564 code may include:
Multi-function/Cruise control switch defective (i.e. stuck, broken, missing, etc.)
Wring problem (e.g. chafing on steering column/dash parts, water intrusion, corrosion etc.)
Connector malfunction (e.g. corroded pins, broken plastic tabs, swollen connector body, etc.)
Fluids/dirt/grime in cruise control button/switch causing abnormal mechanical operation ECM issue (e.g. water intrusion in computer body, internal short, internal overheating, etc.)

I would check ALL of the connectors leading form the Cruise "stalk" down the steering column and beyond first.
Then replace the stalk itself.
It can also be the brake switch (it shuts off the cruise when you hit the brake pedal)

That's pretty much exactly the information I'm looking for. I'll post what I find after I fix it.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Default possible

it could also be the clockspring. this is a GM problem across the board. ive seen it on many silverados, acadias yukons etc etc.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:04 PM

My cruise control quit working on my 05H2, after checking bulbs, fuses, all working, i got under the dashboard, on the brake pedal there is a black box of some sort, there is a jack that plugs into it, i wiggles the the wiring harness that plugs into that box, and my cruise control started working again.
I guess i got lucky. Happens every now and again. Hope this helps you out.