Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

changing diff fluid while on a slight decline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Default changing diff fluid while on a slight decline?

hello, i will be changing my diff fluid soon however the only place i can do it has a slight decline. my truck is high enough so i can easily remove the fill and drain plugs by just sliding under and i dont have a jack rn to level out the truck.

is this something to worry about or is it fine?

with my calculation in my head, it seems like if the diff is on a slight decline it will take slightly more fluid compared to a diff that is level.

thanks!

Old 07-20-2020, 01:05 PM

depends in what direction the nose is inclined up or down no? if it's down then it will be more fluid retained and if pointing up then less fluid retained.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:16 PM

yeah sorry should have been more clear.
truck is backed in so the nose is pointing down

Old 07-20-2020, 02:00 PM

Just make sure to refill with the correct amount and you're good to go.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Just make sure to refill with the correct amount and you're good to go.

thanks for this! i wanted to ask, when you did yours did it use this much?
because ive been seeing other manuals or other info that was saying 5.5 pints or something which equated to 2.75 quarts

Old 07-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Do more research!
Btw, I only use:

Always remove the fill plug first, if you remove the drain plug first and for some reason cannot remove the fill plug you are stuck.

It is best to drive the vehicle for a mile or so before changing any fluids, as this suspends any contaminants in the fluids and ensures they will drain out with the fluids, and not sit in the bottom of the case. The fluids should not be hot, so don't drive too far.

Rear Diff
Both the drain and fill plugs on the rear diff simply accept the drive of a 3/8" square drive. No socket needed - just plug a 3/8" ratchet directly into the plug. You may find this a little easier with a short extension.

You will find the plug on the forward side of the diff near the bottom.

Put a drain pan under the diff and remove the fill plug first, then the drain plug. Let it completely drain.

You may notice the end of the drain plug (and the fill plug) has a magnet. This magnets purpose is to collect small metal shavings. A silver looking paste on the end of the bolt is normal. Any bigger shavings could indicate a problem.

After your diff is completely drained, replace the drain plug and tighten to 24 lb-ft.

Fill the diff until fluid is level with the fill hole. Be sure it's not pour back from the bottle and the diff is really full - this can be achieved by using a rag to wipe inside the hole - if after removing the rag, fluid continues to drain out of the fill hole you are full. Insert the plug and tighten to 24 lb-ft.

The manual calls for synthetic fluid only - 75W90. The manual states it requires 4 pints of fluid.

Front Diff
Remove the front skid plate.

Use a 15mm socket to remove the fill plug half way up the driver side of the diff, and a 13mm socket to remove the drain plug which can be found on the lower driver side of the diff. Let the fluid drain and replace plug. There are no magnets on the plugs, so try and get a look at the fluid to watch for metal shavings.

After your diff is completely drained, replace the drain plug and tighten to 24 lb-ft.

Although not absolutely necessary - You may find it helpful to get a 12" section of small clear tubing to fill the front. Place the tubing on the end of diff fluid tip and insert other end into the fill hole. Turn bottle upside down above the diff and squeeze the bottle.

Fill the diff until fluid is level with the fill hole. Be sure it's not pour back from the bottle and the diff is really full - this can be achieved by using a rag to wipe inside the hole - if after removing the rag, fluid continues to drain out of the fill hole you are full. Insert the plug and tighten to 24 lb-ft.

The manual calls for synthetic fluid only - 75W90. The manual states it requires 2.6 pints of fluid.

Last edited by hummerz; 07-20-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Do more research!
Btw, I only use:

thanks i really like royal purple and trust it! however i always see people bash rp for no reason.
kinda of annoyign when they do that.

fan boys only think redline and amsoil are above the world

Old 07-20-2020, 02:59 PM

I don't care what others think, I stick with what works for me, mobil1 in the engine and rp in the diffs, never had a reason to switch brands. After 40yrs driving, I'm brand loyal.

Last edited by hummerz; 07-20-2020 at 03:02 PM.