Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Can someone reccomend axel shafts/cv joints for a 2003 H2??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Lightbulb Can someone reccomend axel shafts/cv joints for a 2003 H2??

I searched for a thread on this but didn't see much. My passenger side went out, and I'm looking at RockAuto ACDelco for $149ea, or 1AAuto TRQ brand for $89 each. There's also Cardone at about $69 each. I don't want to put out good money on bad parts that I'll have to replace in a few months. It's really wobbly so I'll put new hubs with bearings on as well.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM

I don’t have any knowledge of the differences but I will ask how long did your ACdelcos last? You can get RCV axles and they will outlast your next 3 vehicles! Just a matter of how much you want to spend. I personally would do the AC’s maybe others will disagree but at least I gave you a reply

Old 08-21-2019, 08:14 PM

2003?. GL trying to remove without damaging the hub bearing. Many times, I've had to remove the knuckle and use a hydraulic press to separate the axle from the hub, after many attempts with an air hammer.
When it works out, just remove axle nut, tap on axle and it separates from the hub bearing.
However, using excessive force during removal, will cause damage to the hub bearing.
That is the reason why you see combo kits all over the internet:

https://www.am-autoparts.com/Hummer/...CABEgJ8HfD_BwE

Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by maxjeep
You can get RCV axles and they will outlast your next 3 vehicles!
Bold statement, and where is the proof? I just checked, no reviews, many axles discontinued, however they have them available for the h2 @$2495.00

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultim...lt-flange.html

I still have oem axles: '07 @90k miles, however if I have to change them I will not spend $2.5k, neither should anyone else!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate that! I ordered the Timken wheel/hub combo, both at $138 each. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1398562&jsn=15 The bearing on one side was extremely sloppy, and the wheel studs were messed up too. The Half shaft doesn't have much slop at all, the boots are near perfect. I might get away with putting it back in. I'll take it to a garage tomorrow and see what they say. I'll take the rotor in tomorrow to be turned. I don't mind spending a bit to get better quality stuff, but I don't want to pay for a name brand every time just to have the name (AC Delco) 1A auto has a brand I've never heard of, TRQ, that's the reason I was asking if anyone's had good or bad experiences with that. I don't mind shooting them some business because they have a lot of how-to videos on YouTube. On Rock Auto, they're pushing the HD Cardone stuff, and I may not even need those anyways. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...398562&jsn=902 I have a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban with a 6.0L and 250k miles, and hardly ever a problem out of that, the 6.0L is a really great engine. I'd drive it cross country tomorrow.... BTW, there's 150k on the clock of this Hummer.

The beast!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by stingray615
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate that! I ordered the Timken wheel/hub combo, both at $138 each. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1398562&jsn=15 The bearing on one side was extremely sloppy, and the wheel studs were messed up too. The Half shaft doesn't have much slop at all, the boots are near perfect. I might get away with putting it back in. I'll take it to a garage tomorrow and see what they say. I'll take the rotor in tomorrow to be turned. I don't mind spending a bit to get better quality stuff, but I don't want to pay for a name brand every time just to have the name (AC Delco) 1A auto has a brand I've never heard of, TRQ, that's the reason I was asking if anyone's had good or bad experiences with that. I don't mind shooting them some business because they have a lot of how-to videos on YouTube. On Rock Auto, they're pushing the HD Cardone stuff, and I may not even need those anyways. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...398562&jsn=902 I have a 2002 3/4 ton Suburban with a 6.0L and 250k miles, and hardly ever a problem out of that, the 6.0L is a really great engine. I'd drive it cross country tomorrow.... BTW, there's 150k on the clock of this Hummer.

The beast!
Is it the post or the beer I have been drinking?

You need an axle, and want to replace the hub bearing to repair?
You will drive it to the garage for them to check, and you will take the rotor to be turned?
1-You will have a hard time stopping with a rotor missing.
2-NEVER DRIVE WITH BRAKE ROTORS BELOW OEM SPECS.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. All the parts are out, and in my car, I have more than one vehicle to take the Hummer parts in with. I thought the cv/half shaft was shot, because there was a lot of play there where it met the hub.... It turns out that the bearing in the hub was shot, along with some lug studs, so, I'm getting new hubs with new bearings and studs already in. I'm taking the half shaft in to get checked ( I think it'll be ok), and the rotor to have turned, if it's not beyond specs. On my original post I was looking for opinions of the different brands of these components. The new hubs I ordered are Timkin, which I know will be good quality. IF I need new half/shafts/CV joints, I'll still need opinions about different manufacturers, Cardone, TRQ, etc...

Old 08-22-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Bold statement, and where is the proof? I just checked, no reviews, many axles discontinued, however they have them available for the h2 @$2495.00

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultim...lt-flange.html

I still have oem axles: '07 @90k miles, however if I have to change them I will not spend $2.5k, neither should anyone else!
I believe they have a no questions asked 100% warranty and they are used by many racers everywhere. I would never spend that much money on axles for my H2. I think OP made a good choice with the Timken hubs. I only replace stuff with oem or better. Parts are cheap compared to time and labor. I really love my Hummer and I think it’s amazing. I really appreciate the keep it on the road mentality that our members have.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxjeep
I believe they have a no questions asked 100% warranty and they are used by many racers everywhere. I would never spend that much money on axles for my H2. I think OP made a good choice with the Timken hubs. I only replace stuff with oem or better. Parts are cheap compared to time and labor. I really love my Hummer and I think it’s amazing. I really appreciate the keep it on the road mentality that our members have.
GL trying to get your warranty when you destroy it on a bolder?
What happens when the vehicle is stolen or totaled?
I agree with you buy quality parts.
You can get almost 20 sets of quality axles(CARDONE 661325HD) for the price of the set of rcv axles.
ICYMI, performance and Hummer don't go together.

CARDONE 661325HD:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,2288

https://www.cardone.com/products/dri...cv-drive-axles

Last edited by hummerz; 08-22-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by stingray615
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. All the parts are out, and in my car, I have more than one vehicle to take the Hummer parts in with. I thought the cv/half shaft was shot, because there was a lot of play there where it met the hub.... It turns out that the bearing in the hub was shot, along with some lug studs, so, I'm getting new hubs with new bearings and studs already in. I'm taking the half shaft in to get checked ( I think it'll be ok), and the rotor to have turned, if it's not beyond specs. On my original post I was looking for opinions of the different brands of these components. The new hubs I ordered are Timkin, which I know will be good quality. IF I need new half/shafts/CV joints, I'll still need opinions about different manufacturers, Cardone, TRQ, etc...
You already have it apart, why waste time with the axles? Again, I would NEVER machine a brake rotor. Throw them away and get new. Those rotors are important especially on a 3+ton vehicle. GL