Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

A/C not blowing cold - 2004

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Default A/C not blowing cold - 2004

My 04 A/C recently started not blowing cold air even if set to 60. Doesn't matter if I try circulate, auto, or any other setting. It is not blowing cold on either drivers or passengers. The heater is working fine. Am I looking at replacing all the blend actuators or are there other things to try? I recently had my battery unplugged when I hooked up my spotlights so I'm guessing a fuse/battery trick won't work.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 AM

I'd have the refrigerant charge checked myself. Sounds like it might be time to have all the o-rings and seals replaced in the system. My GMC truck is in the same scenario. At this age all of the orings and seals are pretty much hardened and dried out and it does not take much for one to start leaking. My truck worked fine last summer, this spring, hot air. I checked the refrigerant and added some with a $20 kit from the auto parts store and it was near empty, it took it and blew cold for two whole weeks. After talking to a couple of mechanics that is what they told me. I need to buy a complete new kit of all the seals and orings and a couple of other minor bits, have the whole system evacuated, install and the new seals, then have it vacuumed down and recharged.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I'd have the refrigerant charge checked myself. Sounds like it might be time to have all the o-rings and seals replaced in the system. My GMC truck is in the same scenario. At this age all of the orings and seals are pretty much hardened and dried out and it does not take much for one to start leaking. My truck worked fine last summer, this spring, hot air. I checked the refrigerant and added some with a $20 kit from the auto parts store and it was near empty, it took it and blew cold for two whole weeks. After talking to a couple of mechanics that is what they told me. I need to buy a complete new kit of all the seals and orings and a couple of other minor bits, have the whole system evacuated, install and the new seals, then have it vacuumed down and recharged.
thanks! I'll start there

Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Pretty much has alrady been mentioned. Also check that the clutch on the compressor engages when you activate the "Icicle" button on you A/C

Had the same issue and got mine recharged, which worked for a few months. In the end I had to flush out the old system ,replace my compressor, drier, condensor, orifice valve and as MixManSC mentioned all the O-Rings.

I'm not an expert but I'm convinced my compressor failed because the A/C was over pressurised by the shop I took it to. So rather than topping up the refrigerant make sure they remove the old stuff and check that it can hold a vaccum for at least an hour. If it can't then you have a leak somewhere and any recharging will be wasted. If you do have it re-gassed get them to add UV dye to help trace for the leak.

The H2 needs 1.6LBS of R-134a refrigerant (no more) and the compressor also needs PAG oil. How much oil is hard to estimate, a new system needs 7.1oz so maybe add another 1oz to make sure there is some in there.

I couldnt find any expertise here the UK so I was forced into doing it myself. This video by
was a real help.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 PM

It ended up just being a leaky seal and low on Freon. I panicked for nothing. Didn't have to fool with any actuators....yet

Old 07-20-2018, 03:41 AM

Out of interest where was your leak seal?

Also I think you mean R134a and not Freon, as the latter is a harmful CFC and is generally no longer used?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 AM

In the states we commonly say Freon for all types of refrigerant. I do it as well.