Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Brown leaking fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 11:50 PM
Default Brown leaking fluid?

I’m wondering what’s this brown leaking fluid coming from the front of my H2? Is this engine oil and how bad is this? Is it safe for me to drive? How to fix

Old 03-03-2022, 08:19 AM

Looks like a leaking oil cooler line, I would not drive it, if it pops off, new engine time.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:33 AM

Agreed - the location would indicate one of the oil cooler lines. That location could also be the power steering reservoir or one of those lines although that fluid "should" be clear but if it is still the original fluid then brown might be expected. Either way, prudence would mean finding the leak and checking fluid levels before attempting to go anywhere in it.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:54 AM

How much is the parts and could I fix this by myself? Would I still be able to do very little driving on it without a high chance of something bad happening? Thank you

Old 03-03-2022, 03:48 PM

No telling how much or how difficult without first knowing exactly what and where it is leaking from.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:39 PM

HOW MUCH?
Less than a $GRAND$. I can't see it, yet can be an easy/cheap fix when you find the source of the leak?
Touch it, smell it, taste it....:::::>>>>> CHECK FLUID LEVELS!

Old 03-04-2022, 11:28 AM

DO NOT drive it. Or drive it and face possible consequence. Only you can decide.

Dark brown (presumably oil?) is likely oil cooler.
PS fluid could be that color, if you never changed it. And the lines are right there also. So could be that too.
Worst case, you have an oil pan or block leak.

You need to look under the hood. It should be obvious.
Check your PS fluid level. Look at the inlet/outlet tubes to the oil cooler.
Engine oil smells different from PS fluid.

If you do not know how to do this, and sounds like you do NOT, best just take it into service right away.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:33 AM

Thank you!! I drove it 2 miles today just to get somewhere but having someone look at it right now. And yes Im not the smartest when it comes to vehicles.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:43 PM

Was the oil cooler line! How fast should I fix it? Mechanic said it might just be a mess until i fix it but no really big chance of it popping off.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:30 PM

Leaking at the crimp clamp? Cut the clamp(without cutting the hose), add a flare to the line, slide the hose back on and secure with a clamp. In the meantime, check/keep the oil full.

Quick Reply: Brown leaking fluid?