Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   Blend Door issues? Here are your answers! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/blend-door-issues-here-your-answers-27779/)

JimDrew 05-13-2012 11:16 PM

Blend Door issues? Here are your answers!

OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

1 - Defrost to vent actuator (cam mode actuator). This is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, just to the left of the steering column. This is the ONLY one there, so when you find it, that will be the one. Part #604-121. Autozone sells this for $65.99.

2 - Recirculation actuator. This is located about 12" away from the PASSENGER SIDE window post. It is the furthest most right of all actuators. It is located underneath the dash pad, but I believe you could get to it and replace it without the dash top removal. I replaced my dash top while replacing the actuators, so I could get to it easily. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

3 - Driver side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, underneath of the glove box, just to the right of the center console. It is the only actuator below the level of the glove box (all others are up high in the dash board area). Just remove the plastic under the glove box and there it will be. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

4 - Passenger side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, just below the dash board top, and to the right of the center console. You don't need remove the center console. You just need to remove the two bolts that hold it in place, and tip it backwards to gain access to the two bolts for the dash top. You must remove the complete dash top to get access to this actuator. It requires some patience to get this one out and back in! You will need to use a 8mm box wrench. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

Notice that actuators 2,3, & 4 are all the same. The only one different is the defrost actuator.

I have now replaced all 4 actuators since owning this vehicle, 3 of which just this weekend!

When you pull the negative lead from the battery (or the fuse) and let it sit for awhile, then reconnect power, the system will perform a travel limit adjustment test. This means that all of the actuators will move to their limits, under load. If the load sensor in the actuator is bad (set with a pot inside of the actuator that can go bad) then the limit will exceed the safety point and the actuator will stop. It certainly is possible to fix these actuators, and I may look into making a thread about that. On the 4 that I have replaced, not a single stripped gear or other horror story I have heard occurred. I chatted with our local GM repair center and they also have never seen a stripped gear. It's always a pot (wiper) failure in the electronics.

Some people may have connected the actuator to the harness without installing it, wanting to watch it during this self test - and then read that this can ruin your actuator! Do not panic, your actuator is not damaged. You will want to re-center the actuator before installing it though, so just re-start the self test (pull the battery or fuse, wait awhile, reconnect the battery or fuse, and then turn the key to the ACC position). In the middle of the test (when the actuator is centered), just turn the key off and the test stops. Now you have an actuator that is centered and ready to install.

The cost to replace these with a dealer is insane. It's not difficult to do. If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread so that everyone might gain some knowledge here.

mojo1321 05-14-2012 12:20 AM

tainter is a tool!

2wheelmonster 05-14-2012 03:02 PM

Sounds like you have saved alot of money by switching to geico!!!

Fireman2020 05-16-2012 01:06 PM

Great info!!!!

Thanks!!!

St. Louis H2 07-05-2012 11:03 AM

Thank you for this info JimDrew. I am going to attempt the Passenger side actuator replacement this week. Driver side is cool (not cold), but pass side is 156degrees (measured using my digital meat thermometer). It's been 103-108 all week here in St. Louis, so hopefully I can start riding with my windows up for a change.

Does anyone happen to know what the MAX PSI should read for the AC lines? I recharged my AC and I'm getting about 70-75 PSI with my AC on MAX.

Husa4342 07-30-2012 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=JimDrew;277779]OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

1 - Defrost to vent actuator (cam mode actuator). This is located on the DRIVERS SIDE, just to the left of the steering column. This is the ONLY one there, so when you find it, that will be the one. Part #604-121. Autozone sells this for $65.99.

I got under there and there is a actuator to the right of the column, under the dash and basicly under the left side of the stereo. so between the column and the center console. is this the one you are talking about? it has a large plastic wheel behind it that appears to open and close the main vent? this is all under the dash. I hope this is wrong as every other article here says you must remove the dash and it's right there in the open under the dash. But also hope its correct as I have it off now, although the whole dash is off as well. thanks for any help.

JimDrew 07-31-2012 10:34 AM

On a 2003 H2, the locations I have stated are 100% correct. I replaced all 4 in my H2. There are no actuators (at least on 2003 models) to the right of the steering column and left of the center console.

Husa4342 08-01-2012 11:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just replaced the blend door actuator that was connected to the side of the airbox in the center column below the stereo ( right of column, left side of center). It had a slotted piece of plastic behind it that three of the doors had popped out pieces of plastic that slid into the slotted piece. I did tear out my whole dash and center column after reading **** here to find out that the blend door can be replaced with out removing anything but the 2 screws holding the actuator in, but that will be a reply for the other forum that steered me that way. All back together and working great though.

H2Mudder 12-16-2012 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Husa4342;282097][QUOTE=JimDrew;277779]OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

That part number comes up as a blend door actuator. Is that the correct part? I have the same problem and it is cold here no and all my heat it coming out of the defrost only.
Should it be called a can mode actuator? Just want to make sure I order the correct part.

Thanks for your help.

Husa4342 12-17-2012 02:38 PM

I found it listed both ways. Hit me up if ya like, I'll give you a quick run down.
Mike 916-865-8063

KevinsHVAC 02-10-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Husa4342 (Post 289637)
I found it listed both ways. Hit me up if ya like, I'll give you a quick run down.
Mike 916-865-8063

Mike, I just tried calling you. I have some questions about installing these actuators. If you can please message me.

Fireman2020 02-11-2013 08:21 AM

Sounds like you have spent a bit of time in the dash of these things. Any suggestions on how to replace the BCM??

RadioMike 06-16-2014 03:08 PM

Passenger Temp Control Actuator.

I have a 2003 H2. It has had the usual bugs with the HVAC. Over the years I have replaced the Blower Motor, Blower Motor Control Module, and three of the door actuators. My problem now is, that the passenger side Temp actuator on top of the dash is in the Hot position. It will do a cycle from hot to cold and back to hot when the H2 is started. I have replaced the actuator and still the same action. I have checked and all 4 of the inside temp probes are good. I swapped out the HVAC control module with another one and no changes. I have the shop manuals on the H2 and have read the HVAC trouble guides numerous times. Stumped!! Hate to carry to GM dealer and check with a Tech2 tool. May be only way out. Any thoughts on what might be problem. It's not the actuator.

JimDrew 06-17-2014 09:38 AM

Make SURE that you disconnect the ground from the battery for at least 10 minutes - or short the disconnected ground wire to the positive side (discharges all of the caps in the system). When you reconnect the battery, the HVAC will calibrate itself. Calibration only occurs one time - when the battery is disconnected/reconnected. Calibration never occurs under any other circumstances, such as replacing any HVAC component. You absolutely MUST kill the power to the system for it to go into the calibration mode the first time the key is put into ACC position or the H2 is started.

theboss 07-27-2014 12:11 PM

Great info thanxxxxx

madmayo 10-13-2014 02:06 PM

This is a great thread. I know I'm bringing up an old thread.

Mods could we make this one a sticky, please?

I just read the other one with 10 + pages and was still confused. This one is short and sweet and right on the money.

JimDrew 10-14-2014 10:30 AM

Glad the info helped! I sold my H2 last year... after replacing the airbags and other things. It was a fun vehicle while I had it, and since I bought it from Alice Cooper (yes, the rocker) it was a great conversation piece too. :) I miss it when the weather is bad, and that's it though!

LoJac963 10-14-2014 04:20 PM

Hadn't seen this thread until now, I wonder if that's why my recirc never seems to work....

2buything@live.com 12-26-2014 11:41 AM

Hot Air both on passenger and drive side after Radio upgrade

Hello All,

New to H2. Recently bought a 2003 H2 Base. Added Bluetooth it works great but my AC stopped working. Both the driver and passenger side are blowing hot air.

Tried the recommended re-calibration, both by taking off the HVAC fuses from under the hood and from I/P driver side, also tried by unhooking the battery for few mins ...still no luck.

In one of the thread there was a recommendation to turn the ignition on/off 3 times without starting to kick off the re-calibration... still no luck.

Checked the driver side temperature control actuator(the one below the passenger side glove box). During re-calibration process I could see the actuator move... but it does not move when I adjust the temperature control after the calibration cycle.

Tried reading code using OBD port (i have the one that hooks up to Phone vie bluetooth), but no error codes. Not sure if these reads HVAC control module - at least do not see an option in the app... have to do some research on this...

Since the actuator moved during calibration I am stumped and not sure changing the actuator will help.

Symptoms
*Heat on both passenger and driver side
*Reducing the temperature dial to 60 increases the blower and blows hotter than setting the temperature dial to 90
*Could hear the ambient temperature fan above driver side head running. Not sure how to test, if it is doing its job and sending the right feed of temperature.
* Mode selectors does change the air vents through which air blows

Any advise what other diagnosis I could run/do?

Thanks

Don

2buything@live.com 12-26-2014 02:41 PM

Decided to remove and open the actuator to see if it was defective. Found out one of the wheel (pulley) was broken. Have ordered part from Amazon. Thanks to JimDrew for detailed instructions, it helped a lot in diagnosing the issue.

Now have to figure out how to open and reach the passenger side actuator

jeffhook 01-02-2015 10:56 PM

my 2003 h2 base when heat on one side sometimes blows cold and when ac on one side (drivers) blows hot, what you think? control module or actuator door?

2buything@live.com 01-03-2015 12:08 PM

Jeff,

Since its driver side, one option to eliminate the actuator is to remove it and see the workings.... The driver side actuator is on the passenger side. Check JimDrews post for location. Remove the actuator, operate the door with hand (close /open) by rotating the control post left to right/vice versa and see if the air stays hot or cold per the position of the door.

ronnie702 06-30-2015 08:53 AM

part #604-111 beware

Originally Posted by JimDrew (Post 277779)
OK, I just replaced 3 of the 4 blend door actuators in my 2003 H2. So, yes, I now know the part numbers and exact locations of these units.

2 - Recirculation actuator. This is located about 12" away from the PASSENGER SIDE window post. It is the furthest most right of all actuators. It is located underneath the dash pad, but I believe you could get to it and replace it without the dash top removal. I replaced my dash top while replacing the actuators, so I could get to it easily. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

3 - Driver side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, underneath of the glove box, just to the right of the center console. It is the only actuator below the level of the glove box (all others are up high in the dash board area). Just remove the plastic under the glove box and there it will be. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

4 - Passenger side climate (temperature) control. This is located on the PASSENGER SIDE, just below the dash board top, and to the right of the center console. You don't need remove the center console. You just need to remove the two bolts that hold it in place, and tip it backwards to gain access to the two bolts for the dash top. You must remove the complete dash top to get access to this actuator. It requires some patience to get this one out and back in! You will need to use a 8mm box wrench. Part #604-106. Autozone sells this for $144.99.

Notice that actuators 2,3, & 4 are all the same. The only one different is the defrost actuator.

I have now replaced all 4 actuators since owning this vehicle, 3 of which just this weekend!

When you pull the negative lead from the battery (or the fuse) and let it sit for awhile, then reconnect power, the system will perform a travel limit adjustment test. This means that all of the actuators will move to their limits, under load. If the load sensor in the actuator is bad (set with a pot inside of the actuator that can go bad) then the limit will exceed the safety point and the actuator will stop. It certainly is possible to fix these actuators, and I may look into making a thread about that. On the 4 that I have replaced, not a single stripped gear or other horror story I have heard occurred. I chatted with our local GM repair center and they also have never seen a stripped gear. It's always a pot (wiper) failure in the electronics.

Some people may have connected the actuator to the harness without installing it, wanting to watch it during this self test - and then read that this can ruin your actuator! Do not panic, your actuator is not damaged. You will want to re-center the actuator before installing it though, so just re-start the self test (pull the battery or fuse, wait awhile, reconnect the battery or fuse, and then turn the key to the ACC position). In the middle of the test (when the actuator is centered), just turn the key off and the test stops. Now you have an actuator that is centered and ready to install.

The cost to replace these with a dealer is insane. It's not difficult to do. If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread so that everyone might gain some knowledge here.

O'rilles sells part #604-111 as well as #604-106
i put #111 in my pass side temp control and it DID NOT WORK i had to take it out and purchase the other more expensive 106 maybe 5 dollars more but it did the trick.
dont take the black plastic shield off. just pull it up and get your quarter inch down there and off it comes but make sure it works before you put it back together.

LoJac963 07-01-2015 02:36 AM

I believe I need a recirc actuator as the recirc has never worked. Even on I will get the smells and dust from the outside.

Any pics of these things, I have no clue what they look like. Also any tips on getting to this actuator without removing the dash. I have no desire what so ever to remove the dash!

konrads3 04-23-2016 08:53 PM

Thank yoy Jim !

Originally Posted by JimDrew (Post 277779)

Thank you Jim. I just replaced the actuator on the passenger side blend. Was a pain, but thanks to your description, it took me only about 2 hrs of work, some bleeding knuckles, a 1/2 cut 8mm socket to fit, and a $58 part from Amazon.

Your description was perfect in saving me a lot of $ guiding me how to fix it myself.

JimDrew 04-24-2016 03:34 PM

I sold my Hummer several years ago, but I am glad this info is still helping people. I am getting ready to do a similar tutorial on my '01 Tahoe!

H2CANEPADESIGN 06-07-2016 11:52 AM

This Post rocks. Thank you so much for taking the time. I had my Driver side vents blowing 130 degree air last friday (the hottest day of the year so far). I rarely use the A/C and I had a premonition as soon as I turned it on. Low and Behold right?. anyhow. Replaced the only actuator that is accessible without having to remove my dash (again) and problem solved. 10 minutes labor and $90 at the dealer for an actuator. Thanks again.

Option7 07-31-2017 11:18 PM

AC blows 140 degree air in 105+ temps

My 2003 Hummer H2 works fine up to 100 degrees but above 105 degrees all vents blow 140 degree air and no cold air at all until the temp drops back below 105.
Which actuator causes this or could my compressor be cutting out after 105 degrees? I replaced the AC cycling switch but had no affect.

faresmotors 11-01-2017 01:24 AM

Hi All and thank you for your help.
My AC is working fine. I have a problem with the heating: Driver side is HOT AIR while Passenger side is COLD AIR, which BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR shall I replace? :confused:
Regards, YF

faresmotors 12-01-2017 09:23 AM

How do you call the unit of the ac/heating control (in front of the gearbox)?

clsimmon 12-02-2017 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by faresmotors (Post 347813)
Hi All and thank you for your help.
My AC is working fine. I have a problem with the heating: Driver side is HOT AIR while Passenger side is COLD AIR, which BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR shall I replace? :confused:
Regards, YF

It depends on which one is not working correctly. Turn your temp all the way down on both sides and all the way up. Which side; passenger or driver is malfunctioning? That is the blend door to replace. See starter post in this thread to locate and replace the correct one.

clsimmon 12-02-2017 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by faresmotors (Post 348469)
How do you call the unit of the ac/heating control (in front of the gearbox)?

I'm assuming you are referring to the Air Conditioning Control GM 15832311 in front of the gear shifter; correct?

faresmotors 12-03-2017 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by clsimmon (Post 348483)
I'm assuming you are referring to the Air Conditioning Control GM 15832311 in front of the gear shifter; correct?

yes but I have an H2 2008, the GM# is different. .. ordered a new one!!!

faresmotors 12-04-2017 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by clsimmon (Post 348481)
It depends on which one is not working correctly. Turn your temp all the way down on both sides and all the way up. Which side; passenger or driver is malfunctioning? That is the blend door to replace. See starter post in this thread to locate and replace the correct one.

Hi, ok... I have 2 doors to replace:
1- for the air coming from outside (fresh air)
2- for the hot/cold air passenger side...
I ordered 3 doors as attached... frankly I didn't understood the difference between them :eek:
Attachment 26525

jd1368 12-04-2017 10:26 AM

question on this one. basically all of my vents are blowing cold air ,but turning the thermostat on and off and adjusting the temp back and forth they eventually all turn warm after a while. i'm not getting any warning lights. does this sound like the actuators, or another issue?

dr_funk24 05-31-2018 05:43 PM

i want to revisit this issue/topic and any other posts, comments, or links would be greatly appreciated....

im having a problem that i was thinking could be the door actuator but im not so sure. If i have the key in but just in the "on" position, the air comes out of the correct vents, but once i start the H2, the only thing that works is the defrost vents. all i know is this sounds expensive! haha

faresmotors 06-01-2018 12:34 AM

What do you mean by:

Originally Posted by dr_funk24 (Post 352325)
but once i start the H2, the only thing that works is the defrost vents.

you don't receive AIR from other outlets?

dr_funk24 06-01-2018 07:48 AM

no matter what mode i have it on, the air only comes out the defrost slots, i have had a couple times that the passenger side front vents work, but that is rare. it just baffles me that it works ok usually when in the "on" position, then i start it and it loses its damn mind!

faresmotors 06-01-2018 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by dr_funk24 (Post 352336)
no matter what mode i have it on, the air only comes out the defrost slots, i have had a couple times that the passenger side front vents work, but that is rare. it just baffles me that it works ok usually when in the "on" position, then i start it and it loses its damn mind!

H2 model? 2008-2009?

dr_funk24 06-01-2018 11:29 AM

H2, 2004