PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Mgurgone,

It sounds like your other actuator has gone out. Your controller will not work at all if it has gone out, so if you are not able to control your atmostphere at all then it is for sure is the controller. Your passenger side actuator is located on top of your glove conpartment and is not nearly as easy to get to. If you need to replace that one, you will probably need about two hours or so. First you will need to remove the entire top of your dash board, being very careful not to rip out your compass sensor located on top of the dash on the passenger side. Next you will have to remove the passenger handle, this is tricky as you will need a long thin flat head screwdriver. Take off the side panel ( this pops off on the passenger side just like it does on the drivers side that covers your interior fuses) then with the aid of a flash light you will see a white plastic flange, you take the flathead screwdriver and push it against the plastic flange and pull the handle at the same time. You will see that this is what releases the handle from the dash. You then will need to look at the left side but from underneath the dash to push and release the other side. You will then be able to pull the handle all the way out. Once you have done this you can now remove the rest of the dash on the passenger side. Now when you look down into the dash you will see the other actuator ( it looks just like the one under the dash but is in a very tight space). Remove and replace just as you did the other but with your battery disconnected, then put your dash back together just as you took it apart.
Have fun!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by darkgable735
Mgurgone,

It sounds like your other actuator has gone out. Your controller will not work at all if it has gone out, so if you are not able to control your atmostphere at all then it is for sure is the controller. Your passenger side actuator is located on top of your glove conpartment and is not nearly as easy to get to. If you need to replace that one, you will probably need about two hours or so. First you will need to remove the entire top of your dash board, being very careful not to rip out your compass sensor located on top of the dash on the passenger side. Next you will have to remove the passenger handle, this is tricky as you will need a long thin flat head screwdriver. Take off the side panel ( this pops off on the passenger side just like it does on the drivers side that covers your interior fuses) then with the aid of a flash light you will see a white plastic flange, you take the flathead screwdriver and push it against the plastic flange and pull the handle at the same time. You will see that this is what releases the handle from the dash. You then will need to look at the left side but from underneath the dash to push and release the other side. You will then be able to pull the handle all the way out. Once you have done this you can now remove the rest of the dash on the passenger side. Now when you look down into the dash you will see the other actuator ( it looks just like the one under the dash but is in a very tight space). Remove and replace just as you did the other but with your battery disconnected, then put your dash back together just as you took it apart.
Have fun!
I figured that was the problem. I can see the top actuator through the glove box. Everything in your write up makes sense, my only question has to do with removing the top of my dash board... Is there a trick, place to start, screws, or is it held on by clips? Any info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Default Update for those interested

So my problem on my truck had 2 parts: The first was that the passenger temps were the opposite of what the controls were set to and the second problem was that no matter what mode I put the controls in, they automatically switched to the defrost.

After a ton of searches and some trial and error I finally got it fixed. The passenger temp problem was the actuator (the one directly under the cover of the dash, on top of all the HVAC duct work) and the defrost issue was the camshaft mode actuator (this controls the mode selection of the climate control system). Both were a pain to get to, but now that I have done it I could change either one in about an hour.

If anyone is have this problem and needs help let me know and I can walk you through exactly what I did for both and the part numbers as well. If you have a basic socket set, and don't mind pulling apart some of your dash, this is pretty easy.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 AM

I'm getting ready to replace the passenger side actuator - this has been extremely helpful! It stopped working when I was chasing a bad relay switch to my Alpine so I thought it had something to do with that - not relative. Thanks again. I'll take pictures and step it out if anyone needs it.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Talking Actuator Replaced!!

I've only been a member for about 8 hrs and it has already paid off. After reading this thread earlier I decided it was time to take on replacing the passenger actuator - been out for about 2 weeks, blowing 105 deg f temp. Autozone trip, $144 and a total of 2 hrs -- I decided to remove the center dash in addition to the passenger side dash, includes the time to put my tools away. Just be patient and have all of the tools ready. Next project -- that whining noise from the right front speaker!!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM

I am a bit confused on this issue. Its winter right now and I'm trying to use the heater and I have heat coming to the drivers side and cold air to the pass. side, and all heat to the rear vents. Does this mean I need to check the actuator on the pass. side under the dash? Sorry for being confused. Thanks for any help.....

Last edited by ingydrummer; 02-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 AM

good morning ingydrummer!

yes, you need to replace the actuator on the passenger side. If you review my older posts you will learn how to do it without any problems. The passenger side actuator is located just above the glove box. The driver side actuator is located just below the glove box but over to the left. The lower actuator is only about a 20 minute job, while the passenger side actuator is going to take about 2 hours. In my older posts, you will learn how to do both, step by step. Sorry, i didn't take pictures as i went but i discribed the install in detail and others have been able to replace their's without any problems. Have fun!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks. To remove the top of the dash, I have to remove everything under and forward of the dash to, correct? This is what is directed by TBarrow. My only question is whats left out. I can't seem to remove the upper dash without pulling the entire front and bottom of the dash across the entire cabin, Is this correct?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Angry actuator misaligned

Well I opened the box and pulled out the new actuator (part # 604-121) and the cam was out of alignment. The cam was all the way to one side against the stop and when you look at the lines on the other side of the cam it was way off over the lines. I cant get it to mount either in the closed door or open door position. This is just my luck. Its almost like someone plugged it in before mounting it and it moved way over its intended position. Now this paper inside the box even say's not to plug it in until its mounted. I think they sold me a part that someone already played with. Now, they won't take it back so I have to figure out how to get this cam in the right position to mount. My question, has anybody had this problem or does anyone know how to move this cam into the right position to mount?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM

This would happen when I have the entire dash pulled apart and the old one out. Pictures of the disassembly to follow.

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuator Replacement