Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Better MPG using ethanol-free gasoline in an H2

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Question Better MPG using ethanol-free gasoline in an H2

I have owned five H2's over the last 11 years. I have kept a spreadsheet of every tank of gas I have ever put in an H2 to track my realized MPG. I have noticed that my current 2007 H2 gets 10% better than normal miles per gallon when I fill it up with ethanol-free gasoline. Has anyone else tried this? My instinct is that this engine was designed before they started forcing ethanol into our gasoline so it just runs more efficiently without it. My average MPG in mixed driving:

10.3 MPG with E10
11.4 MPG with no ethanol

Now here is the hilarious part. If I take the number of gallons of E10 that I have used and multiply it by .9, effectively pretending that the 10% ethanol provided no usable fuel at all, it makes my MPG 11.4.

My hypothesis is that ethanol is useless in a first gen H2. Now I need your data! If you don't want to pay extra for ethanol-free gasoline, just notice that the price is usually less than 10% extra. So if you also realize a 10% boost in MPG, you'll be saving money and spending less time pumping gas. Please post your results. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2022, 05:07 PM

Correct - pure gas has more energy. E10 will always get more miles per gallon. EPA states 3% worse economy with E10 but most people find with their own testing that it is really closer 10% or more loss of economy. The sad part is that ethanol free (pure gas) costs more. It is a scam in my opinon.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:38 PM

E10 petrol's higher bioethanol content is corrosive to rubber parts, gaskets, seals, metals and plastics, which causes engine damage. It should only be used with expert advice: NEVER!

Old 02-24-2024, 06:42 PM

I would have to total agree with all the statements made in this thread, totally true in all respects. Unfortunately for me in New Mexico it nearly impossible to purchase no ethanol free fuel. It disappeared about 4 years ago so unless you own an 09 (which could use E85) you have to deal with the E10. I noticed the same decline when straight gas went away.

I do wonder if those with 09's have the same results or if GM tweaked them so they could take better advantage of even small quantities of ethanol in the fuel.

I have a couple of friends with older C4 Vette's and Camaro's that had to change out their fuel injectors because of fricking Ethanol causing internal leaks and failures. Nothing beats 100% gas, unfortunately we as the general public have little choice, this is all part of the renewable fuels movement, and your brain dead politicians agendas. In New Mexico the stupid democratic governor (Luhan Grisham) passed the clean fuel standard act (one of only 4 states) which literally killed straight fuel without ethanol.

Studies reveal you get no pollution reduction bonus of ethanol until you pass the 50% of the blend which will take out about 1/4 of all cars on the road. As it is just 10% creates problems as HummerZ has pointed out.
Now she's now pushing Hydrogen fuel, along with electrics, haha, Boom from Hydrogen or fires from batteries, you gotta love it!

Old 02-24-2024, 09:26 PM

My 2009 H2 Is Flex fuel.... E85. Which should give cooler combustion and more power. What's Funny is I live in the Crazy state of NJ. The closest E85 Station is 41 miles from me. I have never gotten to use E85. I would love to run the 2 on E85 as it is clean burning and makes for a cooler internal running motor.
There are only two in New Jersey.

Along with that we have a 10 round mag ban. Bad JU JU.....

Old 02-25-2024, 04:09 PM

What are the 03-07 H2 rated for type of fuel? E10?

Old 02-25-2024, 04:28 PM

87 Octane regular fuel according to the original owners manual, later on in the manual the mention NO E85 and no more the 10% ethanol.

The 03-07 LQ4 6L was a happy camper with good old regular fuel. Not the case with the 08/09 L92.

Last edited by H2-SUT; 02-25-2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:04 PM

Me was told to use the 87 gas for the 08 H2 and every third tank fill drop a bottle of sea foam high milage in there.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BLK WLF
Me was told to use the 87 gas for the 08 H2 and every third tank fill drop a bottle of sea foam high milage in there.
When you drop the octane down the puter adjust the motor. There is some power lose due to octane drop down. I always run my 09 on Premium. Once when out and about I needed gas. They were out of 93 and 89. I hade to run the 87. There was a difference in power and acceleration.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:23 AM

Agreed, MarkR, noticed a definite power loss going from 91 to 87 (midgrade) forget 86 which is standard regular here in NM, its like your dragging an anchor lol in my 08.

Quick Reply: Better MPG using ethanol-free gasoline in an H2