Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Best transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 09:24 PM

Maintaining is a lot lower than a new monthly payment!

Old 09-04-2021, 01:13 AM

@oceanbrave

Dorman makes a pan with a plug for the H2. It was super in-expensive. Works well, drains fast.

I am now changing trany fluid every 2 years. It is so easy with the pain drain plug.
Then filter change just on maintenance schedule. Pan was always clean, no shaving or anything metallic.

Always been pink.
If it is tan color, it is bad, and should already have been replaced before it got that way. But better late than never.

And I ALWAYS use GM/AC Delco Dexron VI or whatever the latest is at the time. We know it works extremely well.
Why mess with off-market brands and invite potential problems. Like the guy with trany fluid that looks like pink pudding. Messed with some off-brand. Yikes! What a mess.

But it ages fast.
Do NOT leave burnt or tan fluid in the trany> It is causing wear and slippage, just accelerating the problems.

-

Last edited by finall; 09-04-2021 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:02 AM

@finall
oceanbrave
hummerz so true.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated 👍

Got a Pan, with a drain plug, from RA on this link, it looks 100% identical to a Dorman in every respect and was only $17 dollars (quality?) Also got a ring-magnet to catch the particles, it's super strong, hard to move by hand, just need to check the clearance and make sure it doesn't interfere with the filter, dip-stick, seal/gasket etc.

When I remove the old pan I'll compare the two for fit and quality, if the new one seems rubbish it should do until I can get something like a Dorman (link) or I'll simply refit the old one.

With the old pan at least using the pump I can change the fluid in minutes, it won't remove all the debris, but it's better than not changing the fluid at all, personally I think the RA pan will be fine.

My worry is that the fluid was not changed in 90,000 miles When I got the truck I had it's full service history, but doing a forensic check of the service log, I can find no mention of ATF/Filter changes. The service companies should have followed the GM maintenance Schedule, still I have doubts.

Regardless, doing my due diligence, the 1st thing I did was to get my trusty shop to change all the fluids, I even purchase and gave them the fluids, however being suspicious and knowing few people in the UK know about Hummers, there was never any feedback from them. Again, like many, I was naive.

Anywhere it is what it is, yes the fluid 100% needs changing, but I cannot easily get AC Delco ATF here, I'd have to import it --- sooooo expensive! Hence my previous questions about alternative brands, it's a minefield!

Valvoline. Royal Purple etc have to be imported, the best I could do is MPM ATF Dexron VI quote:-

"This premium synthetic ATF Dexron VI automatic transmission oil has been specially developed for automatic transmissions, power steering and other applications for which manufacturers specify an ATF Dexron VI oil"

Who can trust advertising eh...

Again it has to be better than what's in there now and I am very keen to get it changed ASAP

We have a Facebook Forum here called "UK Hummer Owners Club" great bunch, think there are only 70 H2's in the UK, so not many. They seem to use regular ATF whatever that means, one just sold his rig at 190,000 mile, it was a work horse pulling car transporter trailers its entire life (oh the fuel cost) still he regrets selling it ...😥

Old 09-04-2021, 11:39 AM

@oceanbrave

No UK stockist?
Do you have a GM dealer in the UK? Thinking Vauxhaul Opel, etc.
Might they have the AC Delco fluid available via special order?
Or
What about ordering a few cases of the GM stuff, and splitting the shipping cost with the UK club members, who are likely in the same situation as you?
Just some thoughts.....

Old 09-04-2021, 12:26 PM

There may be GM sales and certainly Vauxhall, my guess it would be cheaper to pay the US shipping knowing the markup they tend to make. It might be worth a phone call though ✔️

There are American Autoparts which I will try.

A lot of service here is based on car reg, they are always so super confident until Hummer pops up, the only thing I've ever got are the tiny light bulbs we use.

You know I've tried to encourage members in the past, but they tend to deal with the "here and now" rather than forward planning.

Such is life...

Old 09-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Default BG

I have run BG in all my auto's for years. I am sure in todays technology they are all pretty dang good. I do run the full synthetic .

Old 09-04-2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
There may be GM sales and certainly Vauxhall, my guess it would be cheaper to pay the US shipping knowing the markup they tend to make. It might be worth a phone call though ✔️

There are American Autoparts which I will try.

A lot of service here is based on car reg, they are always so super confident until Hummer pops up, the only thing I've ever got are the tiny light bulbs we use.

You know I've tried to encourage members in the past, but they tend to deal with the "here and now" rather than forward planning.

Such is life...
I just checked my DexVI stockpile:
10-9030 GM license J-60301
10-9243 & 10-9244 GM license J-60456
10-9394 & 10-9395 GM license J-60003
Mine are all ACDELCO, and I buy when the price is cheap, however understand the fact that ACDELCO is just a DISTRIBUTOR! Just go to your local auto parts store, check the label on the back, and look for a GM LICENSE NUMBER.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:52 AM

GM or not GM ?,,, that is the question

I've requested the data from the manufacture,r but I already know their answer, they are going to say their product is made to GM Dexron VI Specifications, which it does.

The spec sheet is long and laborious, so I'll get the real stuff later. It costs double the fluid price in shipping, which is to be expected.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:59 AM

There's some ACDELCO DEXVI available an hour from you in Wellingborough. Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 gal 10-9395

Old 09-05-2021, 10:07 AM

They also have: Sea Foam Trans Tune TT16

Quick Reply: Best transmission fluid?