Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Bad cooling fan ? .. Whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Default Bad cooling fan ? .. Whining noise

Hey everyone .. I got a loud whining noise coming from engine , it doesnt seems to be coming from the steering pump since it wont change while cold turning .
I noticed the cooling fan is kind of hard to turn by hand , should this be free or this resistance is normal . is there a bearing on the fan that could be bad , any thoughts
THX

Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM

A bad fan clutch will not make a whining noise, yes it should have resistance. I would look at tensioner/ idler pulley and the alternator as a likely source.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
A bad fan clutch will not make a whining noise, yes it should have resistance. I would look at tensioner/ idler pulley and the alternator as a likely source.
Thanks .. Pulleys and tensioner are 1yo , the alt is old and cheap so I m leaning more on that side .
How about the steering pump , noise dont change while turning , could still be a bad powr steering pump

Old 08-21-2018, 02:26 PM

Could be.... have a mechanics stethoscope? Those come in handy for hunting down odd noises in a noisy environment like the engine compartment. I even had a water pump start whining before when its bearing was giving up. I want to think you had mentioned in some other thread you replaced your water pump when you did the fan stuff though. Could even be one of those new bits having a short life too... never know.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:01 PM

I got a stethoscope today . seems to be the AC compressor . I Will remove the belt to be sure .
Thx

Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 PM

Also it seems to be the bearing on the clutch , noise is almost same when compressor is off or on
is there a replacement for the bearing or clutch without having to remove/replace the compressor

Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM

Could it be the belt tensioner for the AC?

Old 08-22-2018, 06:47 AM

Most AC compressor clutches can be replaced but most places do not like to do that anymore. They want to just replace the whole compressor. Reason being is that if the compressor has some age and they replace just the clutch then a month later the old compressor goes, then they will be blamed. The clutch by itself is not the easiest bit to replace either.

To start. I'd get in there and release the ac belt and check both the ac tensioner pulley (if your lucky that is the problem) and the compressor pulleys. Any side to side movement will tell you if one or the other is going. On the compressor its more complicated since you have both the clutch and the compressor bearings. If the compressor bearings are going then there will also be shaft seals that have to be done and in that scenario you may as well just replace the compressor.

Shops charge a lot for AC service and they generally rape you on things like charging you for new refrigerant even though they evacuated and recovered the refrigerant you already had which will be put right back in your new ac. Without a recovery, gauge set, vacuum pump, and proper knowledge of setting it all up though there is not cheap and easy way to do it yourself. I'm actually about to deal with this on my old GMC truck as it keeps leaking out which I suspect is just from all of old hard 18 year old o-rings and seals. I'm going to go ahead and put in a new orifice tube (if you are opening the system, go ahead and replace that, its literally a $10 part), accumulator, and all new seals and o-rings. I just happen to have a Robinair AC service machine though so that makes it a lot easier and cheaper for me (scored it at an auction for $100 several years ago).

Edit to add - just ran across this. https://www.flashoffroad.com/Mainten...llyService.htm

Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 AM

I will check the tensioner today . I may get lucky and thats the problem
fortunately I have all the tools including vacuum , gauges and even the recycle ,
unfortunately my knowledge on this field is very limited, I got all this from my father in law
I had done a couple services on my ac before but not as deep as replace the compressor
I will get a quote from a reputable local shop before decide to go DIY

Old 08-22-2018, 02:26 PM

I had a super loud whine/squeal coming from my engine, almost sounded like a bird chirping, for the longest time, after replacing all the belts it stopped

Quick Reply: Bad cooling fan ? .. Whining noise