Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   Any suggestions on how to improve MPG (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/any-suggestions-how-improve-mpg-4923/)

Coug_H2 04-12-2007 02:37 AM

Any suggestions on how to improve MPG

Does anyone have any suggestions (K&N, Cold Air Intake, Chip) on how to get a couple of extra miles out of a gallon of gas....getting about 10.8 now...would like to get a few more if I could.

HummBob 04-12-2007 06:01 AM

RE: Any suggestions on how to improve MPG

1 Attachment(s)
Buy a Prius!!!!Attachment 23174

Seriously, alot of companies MAKE CLAIMS about improved MPG!!!! Most of them are BUNK!!! 1st off, once your Rig BREAKS IN some more, you should see an increase. I'm getting 11.5 now, should be up to 12.5 in the summer. Winter always bites letting her warm up and all.

I did get the Magnaflow Exhaust and the Volant CAI....mostly for increased RPM's(TOTALLY worth it:)), but I'm sure if I didn't drive it like I stole it, I'd get better MPG:D

HummBob 04-12-2007 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OOPS....Sorry Greenblade!!!Attachment 23173

ZYNE 04-12-2007 10:56 AM

Like Bob said, get a Prius :-) If gas mileage is a major concern to you, you probably need to consider a different vehicle. The H2 is big and heavy and with the resulting thirsty engine ... As far as CAI's and catback goes .. if nothing else they will lower your gas mileage ... can't make more horses without more O2 and fuel ... and quite frankly ... those two products carry a certain right foot factor as well ... hehehe
In my opinion gas mileage is not really THAT bad considering weight and engine size. My old RAM SRT-10 averaged approx 8-8.5 mpg between city/hway and in comparison my H2 is damn near an economy vehicle squeezing out up to 13 mpg on the freeway ... it is what it is ... not a vehicle for fuel concious people!

weaponsgalore 04-12-2007 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

Like Bob said, get a Prius :-) If gas mileage is a major concern to you, you probably need to consider a different vehicle. The H2 is big and heavy and with the resulting thirsty engine ... As far as CAI's and catback goes .. if nothing else they will lower your gas mileage ... can't make more horses without more O2 and fuel ... and quite frankly ... those two products carry a certain right foot factor as well ... hehehe
In my opinion gas mileage is not really THAT bad considering weight and engine size. My old RAM SRT-10 averaged approx 8-8.5 mpg between city/hway and in comparison my H2 is damn near an economy vehicle squeezing out up to 13 mpg on the freeway ... it is what it is ... not a vehicle for fuel concious people!
Well said, anybody with a H2, MPG just isnt in the Equation!

Coug_H2 04-12-2007 03:15 PM

I am not too worried about the gas milage...I mean who really needs to eat anyway...Ican spend the extra money on gas. I guess my biggest problem is I still drive it like my 300....0 to 60 as fast as possible...might take awile to get to used to driving a Hummer after all this is my first experience owning an Urban Assault Vehicle.

ZYNE 04-12-2007 03:36 PM

You can always go with a tune, catback, cold air, headers .. and if you want to get real funky slap a radix/magnacharger on that bad boy .. granted .. your gas mileage will be absolutely atrocious but you'll get your acceleration back :-)

ttkresurfacing 04-13-2007 12:59 AM

I have a magnuson and my gas mileage went from 12 to around 15 highway at 75 and 12 to 13 city towing a trailer. Alot more fun to drive too.

Tim

Calgary 04-13-2007 01:19 AM

My last vehicle was a Ford Excursion V10, with a 6 inch lift and 38" tires. I averaged 7 MPG in the City, 4-5 MPG towing. My H2 feels like a tiny little sports car compared to that.

My H2 has a Magnacharger Supercharger (M90, not Radix), Cat Back Exhaust, and Airaid intake. I get around 11-12 mpg. I don't think there is a better solution, other that driving slower. And face it, that ain't gonna happen.

Has anyone tired removing the front driveshaft? I theoroize that removing it could reduce drag on the drivetrain and raise the MPGs. I think it could raise it up to around 16-17 mpg, but I have not tried it yet. (Nor do I know that it is even possible)

Good Luck

Calgary

Big Guy 04-13-2007 05:58 PM

My H3 gets great mileage..in fact it costs about $.02 a mile to drive (in 2 wheel drive mode)

[IMG]local://upfiles/2258/6264A6F85BBB4E15AEA3F39800950EE6.jpg[/IMG]

I'm learning...so the picture got posted twice

dilo2001gt 04-13-2007 06:59 PM

Just don't drive keep it in the driveway for looks or buy a H3 :D;)

Greenblade 04-17-2007 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

OOPS....Sorry Greenblade!!!http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/HummBob/wink.gif
don't do it, get an old Geo Metro. :D

For mileage tips, the big problems are weight and aerodynamics (plus full time 4wd, etc.). For aerodynamics, take off the crossbars on the top of the truck, which will reduce noise levels at highways speeds and buy you a boost in MPG. For weight, take it easy on the gas and put the weight to work for you by coasting to stops rather than hot-rodding up and slamming on the brakes.

Sugardaddy 04-17-2007 03:06 PM

Not to go off in a different direction, but does anyone know how I can get a better price on a new Bentley? Get my point?[sm=pimp.gif]

CDiPrecision 04-17-2007 10:38 PM

Cold air intake, Cut out the cats and have it Dyno Tuned. My freind has a 04 Hummer he did this and gets 14.5 MPG now in city driving..I get 12/13 ish with just Cold air. The Dyno tuning turns off the error light from the Cats being gone, and it is tuned for performance/shifting, etc..

ZYNE 04-18-2007 01:25 AM

While I agree with you there to some extent CDI, you're going to have to put on A LOT of miles on that vehicle before you have paid for the mods by saving gas ... to me it doesn't seem worth it.
And 12/13 with CAI? I get that stock thank you very much :-)

Misster 04-24-2007 07:34 AM

Easy. Install a Prince propane system and you gettwice the mileage for your money !
At least we do in Skandinavia...

[IMG]local://upfiles/457/24356005D2264D2C86DE49D85E531B53.jpg[/IMG]

Hummergirl4 04-24-2007 11:15 AM

Your mileage will improve. I'm up to 11.2 right now. When I pulled out of the dealership I was gettin 6..hahaha... but it's much better now.

HummBob 04-25-2007 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Hummergirl4

Your mileage will improve. I'm up to 11.2 right now. When I pulled out of the dealership I was gettin 6..hahaha... but it's much better now.
6? Attachment 23002

That must have FREAKED you out a little!!!!

djguy988 04-25-2007 12:48 PM

I've recently been trying different brands of fuel. First tank was from Sam's club....with an easy foot, I could get over 13 and up to 13.9. Second tank, Shell and I'm down, ranging from 11.8 to 12.9. Today I'll fuel with BP and see how it goes.
[align=left] [/align]

hudson4269 04-26-2007 02:01 AM

Im fuel conscience as well, and I know what I got into when I picked my h2 up.

Before my transfer case started acting up, I was doing just over 11 average and around 16-18 on the highway.

Its not about totally ignoring fuel economy with the hater line "If you can afford an H2, you can afford the gas" its about making sure everything is running at peak efficiency.

ZYNE 04-26-2007 02:19 AM

16-18 mpg on the freeway!?? Was someone towing you?! LOL!

jhhey121282 12-17-2007 12:29 PM

Hey im getting about 18.3 MPG right now in my H2 :)

finall 12-17-2007 11:24 PM

Either you can't add, or your trip computer is broken.

You are NOT getting 18 mpg, no matter what you say.
Pure rubbish.

Wait, maybe you measured it going downhill, in which case 18 is entirely possible.

FYI: I got 15 on a Canadian gallon at the best cruising speed, averaged over 600 miles, mostly on cruise control, babying the new H2 all the way home.

Now that was the best these beasts do. On a tiny US gallon, you can't do better than about 13 on the highway. Again, you have to average up and downhill.

I challenge you to prove your claim!

TRUBRIT 12-18-2007 10:31 AM

Florida - no hills - 14.9 @ 70 mph highway. 12.7 City. '06 stock.

$uperman! 12-21-2007 10:27 AM

I installed Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, and removed crossbars, spare tire & jack/jack accessories. At best I get 15.5MPG.

djguy988 12-21-2007 11:05 AM

I averaged 16.3 once on a 30 mile trip @45mph. other than that one time, I'm happy if I can average 13.5

GorillaH2 12-21-2007 11:17 AM

Ypou could always siphon gas out of priuses

CRXMA22 12-21-2007 12:25 PM

save money on gas by buying a motorcycle, it cost me $11 bucks today to fill my beast up haha, and it'll last me all week.

if i were wanting to conserve on my h2 i'd take any unnecessary weight off, racks, sparetire, 3rd row seat, excess stuff. not that it'd make that much of a difference, but it'd help more than it'd hurt.

vilim12 01-05-2008 11:30 AM

all we need to do is make a convertible conversion, remove the tire, remove every seat but yours, take off the steel bumpers and replace them with carbon fibre i garuntee gas mileage will improve some then

VICTORYREDH2 01-05-2008 12:06 PM

Try this. I am,
http://www.car-stuff.com/hummerperformancechip.htm

vilim12 01-05-2008 02:27 PM

wow one said up to 130 horsepower gain and 205 pound foot torque with simple re programming? try it out let us know how it goes

3hummers 01-05-2008 04:48 PM

2003 H2 over 50K miles and when I traded it in my average was 10.6 mpg. I could hit 15-16 average mpgon the highway driving very carefully. I don't think the H2, at least the early ones, are going to do much better than that. i knew a number of guys that did the exhaust, air filter, pcm mod and didn't get anything but more grins per mile.

pteam 01-29-2008 01:34 PM

I spend over 10grand a month in gas with our limo fleet, most of it coming from the h2 limos. Few things you can do:

reduce weight, every little bit counts, easy stuff is remove the spare tire, if its inside you get more interior room and then you can install a 2-3 person 3rd row seat, if its outside it gives you a cleaner look. This is a big weight savings especially if you have the outside tire with the rack. Remove cross bars up top, saves weight and drag.

We run airaid air filters on all h2s, this should help bump gas a little. Plus they pay for themselves as you dont have to buy new air filters all the time.

Keep tires properly inflated.

noclrnce 01-29-2008 09:59 PM

I have a K and N FIPK on mine with a Diablosport tuner and my best is 10.3

Guinnessboy 02-17-2008 09:46 PM

to me my H2 is a prius compared to my SRT 10 QC gas hog. glad im not the only one here who traded in there sports car..ughh..truck..ughhhh whatever it was

VICTORYREDH2 02-24-2008 03:26 PM

Ok, So i eneded up getting the SuperChips FlashPac tuner. It improved my shift pattern and shift firmness to my liking. Fuel Mialeage has increased by2 MPG on the first two tanks of fuel! This reads all trouble codes and can clear them as well. Overall performance has increased as well. CAI and exhaust are next to reap the benefits of the tuner.

3hummers 02-24-2008 04:30 PM

So far so good. Sounds like a good mod. What do you have invested in the 2mpg increase?

jerseymike68 09-16-2009 01:58 PM

I have the Magnaflow too and love it, my brother got his used from craigslist but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow Exhaust 16623, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.
________
Vaporizer Reviews

PJ H2 SUT 09-16-2009 08:57 PM

you could get a moped but it wouldn't be nearly as cool to drive... :)

pteam 09-19-2009 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by pteam (Post 125031)
I spend over 10grand a month in gas with our limo fleet, most of it coming from the h2 limos. Few things you can do:

reduce weight, every little bit counts, easy stuff is remove the spare tire, if its inside you get more interior room and then you can install a 2-3 person 3rd row seat, if its outside it gives you a cleaner look. This is a big weight savings especially if you have the outside tire with the rack. Remove cross bars up top, saves weight and drag.

We run airaid air filters on all h2s, this should help bump gas a little. Plus they pay for themselves as you dont have to buy new air filters all the time.

Keep tires properly inflated.

In addition to all that stuff I said right above in quotes, Mobil 1 now has a fully synthetic oil that improves gas milage, cant go wrong there!