Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Am I missing a sleeve>? Front diff H2

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Default Am I missing a sleeve>? Front diff H2

I am removing the front differential cross support - only way to get the bushing replaced (unless I wanted to go with the other aftermarket bushing solutions) was to order the entire cross member.
Anyways I was going to swap out and I removed this one bolt that runs through the bushing to the diff - there is all sorts of room between the diameter of the bolt and the bushings sleeve... Am I missing a sleeve or is it just supposed to float all around in this bushing???
Seems like surely there should be a sleeve between the bolt & the bushing to make up for the slop>??
Hopefully this gets responded to fairly quickly so I know what direction to go in...
Thanks in advance
Chris

Old 02-01-2020, 06:01 PM

The sleeve is encapsulated in the bushing. Just make sure to properly torque the bolt.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:05 PM

That is a lot of room, if I was at home I would pull out my manual and check to see if it’s mentioned, or pull my bolt out because that does seem like a lot.

Obvious question, how did the old one look? Was there that much space?

Old 02-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 PM

I dont know much about suspensions etc, but this makes no sense to me... when even bother with a sleeved bushing if the diameter is double the size of the bolt? lol?
Its surrounded by rubber that in all my years of replacing mounts, I have never seen one with this kind of slop by design...
Oh well, I guess I will carry on with install, although my inner self wants to mic the inner of the bushing & outer bold to fabricate a sleeve....
Thoughts from the smart suspension people??
Thanks!
Chris

Old 02-01-2020, 06:25 PM

And yes= this is exactly as the original one is on the truck now, I just had the oil pan gasket replaced and the GM (Yes GM dealership) garage, left 4 of the oil pan bolts loose, one almost falling out (harness stopped it) and one nut on one of the diff bolts... so I was assuming they may have left out this sleeve also since it would have been removed to do the pan gasket...
I had seen this bolt off center when I was under the truck checking for oil leaks and "assumed" my bushing was shot. (so I ordered the new replacement)... Upon disassembly I think I spent $385 for nothing . Learn by doing... I'll put the new one in & sell this crossmember on ebay since its most appears now to be fine.
I really thought the bushing was separating since it was no longer center by viewing..

Old 02-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
I dont know much about suspensions etc, but this makes no sense to me... when even bother with a sleeved bushing if the diameter is double the size of the bolt? lol?
Its surrounded by rubber that in all my years of replacing mounts, I have never seen one with this kind of slop by design...
Oh well, I guess I will carry on with install, although my inner self wants to mic the inner of the bushing & outer bold to fabricate a sleeve....
Thoughts from the smart suspension people??
Thanks!
Chris
That would cause a squeak. Bolt, washer, sleeve, washer, nut..torque properly and the bolt will have limited movement. The bushing takes control.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:03 PM

Ok - will carry on as is. Any idea of torque? I dont have a service manual to refer to, I suppose I can go off general torque for this bolt size

Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 PM

bushing/pocket bolt-70 ft lbs/105 ft lbs