Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Air ride will inflate but not deflate

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 11:59 AM

Here is the link to the chrome hood straps:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333487984529
Had them shipped to Canada. Not cheap, but nice to have. Mine were completely corroded.
Seems that anything bilet aluminum that is chrome has corroded in a few years. Corrosion starts where steel meets aluminum, and in this case at the stainless steel pins that hold the rubber strap. Ditto for my locking gas cap from DefenderWorx. I am on my third one, and it is ready to fall off. I am on my third set of chrome-peeling OEM wheels (they last about 3 years)
I think someone else had OEM chrome hood handles on ebay also, but I already have a 2nd set.
The steel and plastic chrome parts on the H2 are still all original, and this limited edition has tons of it.

For taking apart rusty bolts, I find that Kroil works OK + bit of heat from a heat gun.
If you do not have access to it on your side of the pond, some say it is similar to the mix of 50/50% transmission fluid + acetone, that automotive guys have been using for decades to loosen rusty bolts.
Apparently the acetone helps it creep. Have not tried that formula myself.

I too will be experimenting on my old air suspension unit once I extract it from the H2.

I have read on this forum about how to level the vehicle without use of leveling blocks. But how to do it without a Tech2 analyzer? I have a choice to take it to a dealer to set it up (Big money), or buy that chinese Tech2 (weeks to months wait in transit), and then it may break (as I think your did) , since they are not great.
Any other procedure you can advise to set up the air ride level without the Tech2 tool? I read thru all the threads on here, but they all seem to require the tool.
Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by finall; 04-24-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:16 PM
Old 04-24-2021, 02:37 PM

Hood straps look great, cheers!
Not sure what to say about Chinese Tech2, I know i couldn't live without one, now I have a brand new backup spare, BTW mine only took 7days to arrive.

When connect your replacement AS Unit, you may be faced with with DTC C0563 (PDF attached) as I did. The PDF says "DTC is cleared by cycling ignition" I cannot be sure (mine didn't). Essentially C0563 is a CheckSum fail-safe that kick's in if the height position memory gets corrupted or changes e.g. fitting a new unit. In my case cycling the ignition didn't clear the DTC (which was why I bought a new Tech2) Your new unit will not have any height data.

If your new unit is exactly the same build with the same ECU GM part number, you could try fitting your old ECU. The ride-height won't have changed as it is calculated between the ride-height sensors and ECU, so you may get away without re calibration or clearing the Checksum DTC.

It's quite a big "IF" and may depend on the new unit's warranty etc, but it may be worth looking into.

Other than that this thread (not long ago) on ride-height may help. I just sat my truck on level ground and made the gap between the top of the wheel and wheel-arch the same as the front, one day I'll get one hummerz expensive calibration tapes and measure it

Perhaps some of the others can advise you further...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
C0563 Description.pdf (14.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 03:19 PM

Hi Oceanbrave,

Thanks for the info. Already saw that other thread also.
Can you please tell me where you purchased your Tech2 from? I can see how fast they could deliver it to me.
I am still a week away from receiving the new compressor.

The module swap is a brilliant idea. But if it is the module that is faulty on my old unit, that will not solve the issue?
I am guessing there is no harm in trying? i.e. putting in a faulty old module into the new air ride will not damage the air ride compressor assembly?

At least I now understand why my H2 was always 1/2" higher on one side than the other, since it was new. I now think the system was never calibrated from day 1.

Last edited by finall; 04-24-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Interesting. But they will not tell me how much for shipping until you have placed the order and they "pre-authorized your credit card". No thanks.
So no idea if cheaper once you include shipping. Maybe more expensive overall? But I am not going to find out....

Last edited by finall; 04-24-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Interesting. But they will not tell me how much for shipping until you have placed the order and they "pre-authorized your credit card". No thanks.
So no idea if cheaper once you include shipping. Maybe more expensive overall? But I am not going to find out....
Same company, it's cheaper on their website since they don't have to pay ebay seller fees! They charge actual shipping according to their website. Many times, I get items cheaper contacting via phone/email(contact link posted below).

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/contact-us.html

Last edited by hummerz; 04-24-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 PM

I've recommended to several other members on here to get a Tech2 from https://www.chinacardiags.com/
That is where I got mine several years ago and have not had a single problem with it. I know a few others on here also bought one from there. Shipping was also quite fast.

The Tech2 will also give you a ton of other diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities so it you plan on keeping your H2, it is a tool worth having. Particularly since no other tool on the market has made any sort of programming or diagnostics for something like the air suspension controller on an H2.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
one day I'll get one hummerz expensive calibration tapes and measure it

You can have one of mine. My wife keeps telling me I have way too many tools. I make/save a lot of dough with my tools, yet she has a bunch of crap stored in closets/cabinets/attic etc, that never gets used.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:59 PM

Drop a message FAO Elyza sales@obd2shop.co.uk, she should be able to help you, I'm pretty sure everything comes from china even though it's a UK email . My browser won't let my open their web site nor any other Chinese Tech2 sellers.

MixManSC may also be able to recommend a supplier.

Buying a Tech2 may be cheaper than the stealership charges, it will also help you fix your AS and will be a good asset for the future.

If the ECU is faulty at least you'll know your old AS Unit is probably OK.

If the ECU's are compatible it's unlikely plugging in a faulty ECU would damage anything. Just be aware your old ECU P/No may have been superseded.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I've recommended to several other members on here to get a Tech2 from https://www.chinacardiags.com/
That is where I got mine several years ago and have not had a single problem with it. I know a few others on here also bought one from there. Shipping was also quite fast.

The Tech2 will also give you a ton of other diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities so it you plan on keeping your H2, it is a tool worth having. Particularly since no other tool on the market has made any sort of programming or diagnostics for something like the air suspension controller on an H2.
Hi MixManSC - is yours a Vetronix brand also? Many, including "oceanbrave's" are this brand I believe. Maybe this is the only clone of the real GM one?

Quick Reply: Air ride will inflate but not deflate