Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

ABS Traction Control Lights on

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 09:52 AM
Default ABS Traction Control Lights on

Hello all.

I just had new brake lines installed and now I have ABS and traction control lights on. They have turned off but then they come back on. I pulled the module plug and it was full of brake fluid. I cleaned it and reinstalled it. I did not clean the module side of the plug due it being unreachable. Do you think I should make sure all is clean and dry before I assume bad module?

Old 08-24-2022, 05:22 PM

Scan and post the codes before you do anything.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:13 AM

Here's the thing, brake fluid is conductive and can have an electrolysis effect on any connectors exposed to it.

Conductivity depends on the type/make of brake fluid, moisture content and contaminants, older worn fluid being more conductive. Cheap electrical brake fluid testers are available on amazon such
as this one as this one
a multimeter can also be used, but electrical analysis is not super accurate. Just ran some tests on the bench with some new Dot 4, not only is it conductive but it can be charged like a battery to produce voltage, very interesting.

This above suggests a potential problem here, especially if fluid has migrated on to the module's internal circuitry.

Of course retrieve the DTC's 1st, however further decontamination may be advisable, but never use brake cleaner on plastic parts.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:16 PM

Shop ran code. It was driver rear speed sensor voltage. They checked the wiring and sensor and all appeared good. The shop said it was module. I am still going to clean it as best I can and see if I get lucky.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by tonyb5150
Shop ran code. It was driver rear speed sensor voltage. They checked the wiring and sensor and all appeared good. The shop said it was module. I am still going to clean it as best I can and see if I get lucky.
Maybe LR sensor got damaged during brake line install? I had the C0045 a few years back when the sensor failed:::>>>Rear abs sensor replacement

Old 08-26-2022, 05:36 AM

hummerz you may well be right, sounds logical.

Anyway two possibilities here, so may be a two-pronged approach?

The ABS Module uses sealed connectors which is good news, any contamination may be removed with a good IPA based evaporative aerosol spray with a nozzle-pipe, this and some absorbent swabs (cotton buds) should help. A good mirror, lights and a lot of patience will help.

The way the ABS module is orientated its connector acts like a "cup" so see if fluid has actually got in there and if so carefully clean it out spraying and swabbing around the pins. Clean the harness connector too allowing any residues to drip out under gravity.

Tip: - Wear latex gloves to avoid touching the contacts with your bare fingers as natural skin oils and grease are acidic and corrosive.

These are images are taken from Hummertime1 's earlier post, something you don't want to happen (always wondered how that one went?)

Do not use WD40 or oil based cleaners as oil acts like a barrier, the exact opposite of what you want.

Corroded connectors are resistive -> resistance produces heat -> heat accelerates corrosion and so on --> it's "Catch-22"

Old 08-26-2022, 07:24 AM

Thank you to all. I am going to clean it with electric cleaner and canned duster. I am going to look at wiring and speed sensor too. I will keep you posted.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by tonyb5150
Thank you to all. I am going to clean it with electric cleaner and canned duster. I am going to look at wiring and speed sensor too. I will keep you posted.
you could also send it out to get fixed. $150. Www.upfix.com. I used them for my old corvette and it worked like a charm.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mcioci
you could also send it out to get fixed. $150. Www.upfix.com. I used them for my old corvette and it worked like a charm.
I cleaned connector to no avail. This is my next move. I looked under there and 3 of the six bolts to remove look very tough to access. Did a new one clear the lights? Or do I need a scan tool on install??

Old 08-30-2022, 02:32 PM

According to GM, the DTC (?) will need resetting.

Quick Reply: ABS Traction Control Lights on