Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2008 H2 Navigation & Clock default

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Question 2008 H2 Navigation & Clock default

Howdy guys/gals,

Happy Thanksgiving.

Picked up a 2008 H2 earlier this year. Love it. Absolutely love it. Best vehicle I have ever owned. I was VERY hesitant to buy it because I had an H1 before it and read a lot of the bad press so bought it reluctantly b/c the wife liked it and now I like it more and more every day. Boy are there exaggerations out there, all the bad press is just flat wrong. Gas mileage is about 15~16 MPG on the highway with that new 6 speed transmission, my H1 only got about 14. My Silverado only gets 15, no matter how i drive it.

Ok, to the problem.

It has the navigation from factory and I have a very weird problem. I can't get any changes to save and can't figure out how to changes the default.

1. The search area on the navi always defaults to "area 8", no matter what i change it to.

2. The clock, even when I set it, always defaults to (i guess) the eastern time zone.

3. Finally, the navigation memory has addresses from the previous owner. I delete them and load some of my own but when i restart the H2, they are back, EVERY time and mine are gone.

I can find no explanation for this.

I have tried everything I know, took the battery loose. Changed the clock, the navi area, and deleting addresses and then hitting the "driver 2" or "driver 1" memory button but nothing noted above saves the changes. Every time I cut the engine off and then restart all the old address come back, the clock is back to the wrong time and the navi search area is back to area 8. I use the remote to enter and exit and the H2 has onstar but i do not have it active.

I can not find any paper manual addressing this or any master reset or clear function. My question is, of course, how do i clear this default and save to my area in the central time zone? Is this something that onstar is reloading or resetting when i restart? What am I missing here?

Could this information be reloading from OnStar or something?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Default 2009 h2

I found your thread and I’m having the exact same problem. Did you ever figure out a fix? sdougie22@gmail.com

thanks.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:33 PM

I've been dealing with this issue for a good while, there is no fix other than replacing the unit. I purchased my h2 used and everything worked fine when purchased, the battery went dead (lack of driving the truck) so I replaced it with a larger AGM battery. After the battery replacement I noticed the clock issue and the lost saved addresses along with the selected location always defaulting to area 8.

This issue stems from a dead battery or disconnecting the battery to replace it and GM knows about it but does nothing to resolve it other than troubleshooting it if under warranty or you pay to replace the unit.

I just purchased a refurbished one with a warranty to replace mine, should be here in a few days. The seller offered some things to try to see if I could clear the memory but nothing worked.

There is a thread on corvetteforum about the issues they are having with the nav units in the corvettes, a different unit but the same exact issues as us and the same years (07, 08 and 09).

Neal

Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Thanks for responding. As long as I know there is an issue I guess I’ll deal with it for now. Love my H2, so if that the only issue I’ll have I’m cool with it. I’ll just change the time back three hours and turn off the voice for approaching traffic.

Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2019, 02:47 PM

I'm betting internally the units in the Vettes are identical which is why those would also potentially exhibit the same behavior. Can probably find some with other GM vehicles for the same year range also having that problem.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM

I have not talked with a vette owner but for ours there is a hidden menu so when the clock goes away you can access the hidden menu and get it back, it just will not stay set to the correct time nor the correct location area. Here in the central time zone for half the year the clock is correct (DST) the rest of the year its one hour off.

I have not seen a post from the vette guys that they have the hidden menu to reset the clock, there's goes away and they are left with no clock at all.

Neal

Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM

What is this “hidden menu” you speaketh of? Lol please share!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 AM

Go to "menu" then select the display tab, hold your finger at the lower left hand corner of the screen, after a few seconds a number keyboard will appear, enter 295660 then enter, the menu will appear. there is a clock setting tab on the second page.

Neal

Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 AM

The correct clock setting in the hidden menu is to be set to GMT time, which for me is 6 hours ahead of current time.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:37 PM

I lost the time in the nav system when I disconnected the battery overnight (to clear out fuel trim values after replacing the MAF). When I go to the time set screen, the buttons to set the time are there, but there are no numbers in the time display. Pressing the buttons results in a beep, but there is no time values displayed to change.

I will keep poking around and post any progress here...

Quick Reply: 2008 H2 Navigation & Clock default