Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.
View Poll Results: Is this repair cost reasonable?
Sell Hummer
0%
Repair at $5300
0%
Take Hummer to another mechanic
90.00%
Don’t replace all brake lines and master cylinder
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

2007 Hummer H2 brake lines and master cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 04:48 PM
Default 2007 Hummer H2 brake lines and master cylinder replacement

I lost brakes at 65 MPH sailed thru a red light but still managed to get my Hummer to my Hummer mechanic that I have trusted for the last 13 years.
Today he called and said all of my brake lines need to be replaced as well as my master cylinder (which was leaking).
Cost estimate parts and labor $5300.
This seems outrageous to me. Anybody got any advice for me? I love my Hummer. Thx

Old 07-28-2020, 04:55 PM

get a new mechanic it is the best advice we can give. he does not want to do the job.
https://www.sstubes.com/collections/...-line-hose-kit that is a complete set and they are stainless steel unlike your failed ones.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+cylinder,1836 master cylinder acdelco one is 127

Old 07-28-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
get a new mechanic it is the best advice we can give. he does not want to do the job.
https://www.sstubes.com/collections/...-line-hose-kit that is a complete set and they are stainless steel unlike your failed ones.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+cylinder,1836 master cylinder acdelco one is 127

exactly. That’s a ridiculous price lol. You probably should also read the current fuel pump replacement posts as this may also be in your future.....

Old 07-29-2020, 11:36 AM
Default Reply to Bronx tech On Hummer H2 Brakes

my service manager is telling me
$4000 Labor
$830. Brake lines
$210. Master cylinder
he says mechanic says more labor intensive because of something about having to pull it off the frame? Is this BS?

Old 07-29-2020, 12:16 PM

you do not have to pull the entire frame. most just unbolt the body mounts on the drivers side and tip the cab up enough to get to the lines. 4000 on labor is excessive how many hours are they quoting at how much an hour? i showed you the prices on the parts they are only worth 427$ collectively. OEM mastercylinder and SS brake lines that will not rot in your lifetime.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:46 PM
mcu

you do not have to pull the entire frame. most just unbolt the body mounts on the drivers side and tip the cab up enough to get to the lines. 4000 on labor is excessive how many hours are they quoting at how much an hour? i showed you the prices on the parts they are only worth 427$ collectively. OEM mastercylinder and SS brake lines that will not rot in your lifetime.
How big of a job is it? As you know Bronxtech, I am doing the fuel pump now and was debating if I should do the brake lines also before putting the tank back on.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:55 PM

oceanbrave just did his recently he also documented it here on the forum and put it on youtube. the hardest part other than the ABS pump would be located at the tank area. you already have it down so take a good look to see how accessible the brake lines are. the main reason to lift the body is because of that gas tank area.so you might be ahead of the curve at this moment. maybe maybe not.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:58 PM

bronxtech Mark Adams here. The are quoting me 25 hours @ $160/hour

Old 07-29-2020, 03:17 PM

I did full brake lines on mine not too long ago and Bronx is right, just need to undo the body mounts fully on drivers side, recommend loosening on passenger, and then tilt it. SSTubes tubes are a great fit. I would also replace all of the rubber lines with braided lines while your at it! If you don't go with pre-formed lines and use the easy-bend pipes you wont need to undo any mounts, just cut out the old system and work in the new lines.

The whole job can be done in 10 hours by a competent mechanic. And for less than $500 you can replace every single brake line from SSTubes and Russel Braided lines. I havent done the master cylinder yet, but seems to be plenty of info on here to get you through it.

I would also suggest replacing all of the body mounts while you are doing this as you will be working in the areas already. Mine all were corroded and had lost all cushioning. You can use the same mount, on RA Body Mount, for all positions.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:14 AM

Mark W Adams that was a close shave, you were very lucky, glad you're OK.

bronxteck and coffeydp are giving sensible advise. On body mounts I wish I'd thought about them ahead of time, I would have replaced them. Hopefully yours are not rotted away, which may possible be an issue.

Take a look at this forum thread to save you searching.

Last edited by oceanbrave; 07-30-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Hummer H2 brake lines and master cylinder replacement