Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2006 H2 after much attention mechanically-

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Default 2006 H2 after much attention mechanically-

Purchased my 4th H2 in November 2019- the other 3 were sold over the past 15 years. I have had many, many vehicles from Exotics - BMW's and all in between over my many years of driving and the only vehicle that I really seem to enjoy for longevity is the H2. No idea why, but its always what I go back to once I sell it. This one is a keeper and when I searched for #4 It had to be rust free, no crash damage and unmolested. I found her in Oklahoma online and she was at a Chevy dealership. The dealer did not do I as I requested and pretty much didn't mention the suspension issues. I bought it over the phone and flew in to drive back to Louisiana. Without going into boring details of the original sale, my one request was to make sure all the exhaust manifold bolts were present and any snapped - repaired prior to my pick up. I was assured all was well & the vehicle had just completed a 150 point inspection or whatever the number was. So I arrive to pick up & pop the hood- 3 exhaust bolts snapped- nothing touched. After renegotiating and catching the dealer in several lies - I signed the dotted line & started my drive back to Louisiana, approx 500 miles.
It had to be divine intervention that I made it back with the wheels staying on the H2, without frostbite and with no parts left on the highway from all the rattles, wobbles, vibrations and noises from the suspension.
The H2 was for the most part what I had sought- excellent body, interior, frame & unmolested - I would have preferred whomever had it did some maintenance however I suppose, it was better as is - original.
The biggest surprise was the oil leaks from the engine - rear main & oil pan. Both unexpected & expensive fixes...The LED lights are just plug in with no housing replacements or mods- The 2 large lightforce driving lights pull in off the high beam through relays. I left the DRL's functioning as DRL's- I just took the 2 inner LED driving lights on the light bar & made them operate as DRL through another relay. The lower original DRL's I changed to LED bulbs.
Other than the light bar in the front she remains all original & unmolested. Maybe one day I will update the Bose Nav to a "modern" head unit but I remain torn about changing the originality of it... I can survive pretty much with XM radio - which the H2 has, and use my iphone without truck interfacing...

Only option I wish she did not have was air suspension - but it wasnt a deal breaker and I do have a spare complete compressor rack if this one ever acts up...

2006 limited edition in Fusion Orange.

Here is a list of what I have done - some were not needed but with 135k on the odometer I just did to have a 0 mile starting point - instead of dealing with little issues that could arise in the miles ahead..
Rear main plate & seal.
Oil pan gasket.
All new shocks & 2 air springs.
All new front suspension parts (MOOG). (A-Arms, idlers, steering joints, links, etc)
AC Delco Steering box
AC delco steering pump & high pressure line to hydro boost
All AC Delco - water pump, all idlers, t-stat, overflow reservoir, hoses.
New radiator
Replaced cooling system back to "green" antifreeze - no more "dex-cool".
New tires.
All new rotors, pads (all 4 corners),
2 - door checks.
1- power window motor.
Pulled all door panels and lined with anti vibration tape along edges of panel/door contact
Powder coated skid guard
All new gaskets for clearance lights, replaced rubber seals at doors.
Sunroof motor recalibration (stops sunroof rattle).
Repaired shifter button (tangs broke off).
Replaced one DVD monitor.
Replaced both front seating heat elements, replaced both front seat lower leather bottoms.
Weathertech mats.
Rear lock latch in rear hatch.
New windshield wiper blades & both arms.
Alternator.
Battery.
Brake fluid reservoir.
All new brake fluid & flush.
Replaced tranny filter and replaced transmission pan with Dorman version w/ drain plug. Dex 6 refills.
Royal purple in front & rear diffs
AC Delco Transfer case fluid.
Both front wheel bearing hub assemblies.
New wiring loom corrugated tubing as necessary.
Powder coated side rock bars
New chrome running boards
Added Valentine 1 radar detector wired through mirror.
Replaced all 4 -O2 sensors with Bosch O2 sensors
Removed 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts-
2- new exhaust manifolds, all new bolts & gaskets.
Replaced thick foam between console and center dash panel.
Stubby antenna to replace the original tall one.
All new steering buttons (originals had lights all burned out).
replaced all U-joints with new spicer U-joints.
Replaced both front axle/CV joint assemblies.
oil pressure sender
crank position sensor
new starter.
new plugs & wires.
Painted trims around the middle DRL's to match the H2.

Down the road I want to pull the intake manifold and do the knock sensors, knock sensor wires, gaskets & the cam shaft position sensor... I have no codes now but I learned from my last H2 what happens if you wash the engine... I have held off degreasing this engine because I know as soon as I do I will have knock sensor codes - lol.

She is pretty much back like new, and for what I have in her I am still a third of what a new Chevy Tahoe premier would be.. Here we are in the year 2020 and I still get compliments and people asking about her- that tells how timeless the H2 design is. In all my years and owning 4 of these (along with a H3) I never really had anyone "hating" on them... But I stay away from the liberal strongholds, as I have no reason to ever venture into them..

Most of the list I did myself- the oil pan & rear main I had a shop do along with some of the front suspension since it would need an alignment anyway, if I had a lift and the room I would have also done that. The rest of the list anyone that has a good tool box, floor jack, stands & common sense can be done at home.

Chris

Old 03-02-2020, 02:20 PM

Dang that beast looks clean. Welcome back

Old 03-02-2020, 04:29 PM

Nice!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 AM

That is just like mine, one of the best H2 colors ever made. That is quite an impressive list. I would add a fuel pump, and tranny cooler bypass to the list sometime. Those are great looking tires.
Congrats on getting back into an H2

Old 03-03-2020, 08:49 AM

Looks in great shape!

Old 03-03-2020, 12:05 PM

Very nice H2, you've taken care of all the maintenance items now it's ready to be driven.

thanks for sharing

Neal

Old 03-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Amazing work to a really nice H2, Congrats!

Question. What did this entail: replaced both front seat lower leather bottoms. Dealer part or Upholstery shop?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 PM

Hi Sam-
i use a company out of Texas that has the seat bottoms pretty much exact as oem. I am beyond fussy and they satisfy me and match perfectly.
Richmond auto upholstery. I have zero affiliation with them - I have used them for 2 of my H2‘s drivers seat redo’s. http://www.leather-auto-seats.com/
Whenever I do mine I buy the Dorman seat heater pads - you could probably remove and reuse existing but the way mine have come out - I just prefer using all new.
Removing and reinstalling the new leather is a fairly easy project. 4 bolts on each seat to remove, 1 main cable under to disconnect and they remove. Just be careful removing from truck and carrying. Once on the bench simply disconnecting the lower seat plugs, 2 nuts to remove pad and the side 4 screws on seat control. You will need to cut the pocket for the side controls after you unclip the old leather and reclip the new leather - there are some great YouTube videos that show start to finish- just search out one from a early 2000’s tahoe.

Its the the best money spent to make the truck like new feeling on the inside - you can also still get the drivers side seat foam if yours is worn also from GM for under $85 also. Passengers side foam currently is NLA. You do the foam and leather - your seat will feel fantastic again.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info, of the few things that make this vehicles look dated is the worn leather and faded and yellowish headlights, updating those makes this things look new again.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 PM

Thats an impressive list for sure! What starter did you go with? Just had to tap mine after being stranded for a bit lol

Quick Reply: 2006 H2 after much attention mechanically-