Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2003 H2 a/c compressor clutch won’t engage unless I disconnect the battery and reset.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 10:08 PM
Default 2003 H2 a/c compressor clutch won’t engage unless I disconnect the battery and reset.

This is an odd problem I have been having. The compressor clutch assembly sometimes will engage when I turn the air conditioner on. If I disconnect the battery and hook it back up, it will work again for another couple months then one day it will just stop working again unless I disconnect the battery. Does anybody have an idea what that may be?
Everything else works fine. It will just be the compressor clutch won’t engage. The blower will still work fine. The climate control will still be illuminated. Thanks. 2003 H2

Old 03-14-2024, 02:41 PM

Have you tried replacing the relay at the fusebox under the hood "R8" in pic? Just tossing it out there as something to rule out, if A/C charge is good and no issues with the control panel, its a cheap thing to rule out. I have replaced that relay before for not calling in the A/C compressor.....

Last edited by Chrmer3; 03-14-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:48 PM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I actually swapped it with another relay and it didn’t fix the problem but it still doesn’t hurt to replace it. I may go and get one just to put it in a new relay. It definitely has enough charge because when the compressor runs it is very cold. The control head unit is what I’m wondering about. I replaced it less than two years ago. I think I got it from O’Reilly. It has worked fine and never had a problem but maybe this is a small glitch in it.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:53 PM

a couple things come to mind, try reaching down to the accumulator and wiggling the low pressure switch plug next time it does it. The switch is a bad actor for GM vehicles and is easy to reach. I cannot say why disconnecting the battery makes it work other than maybe when you disconnect the battery you move the wires enough to possibly move the harness to the switch.
Next I would look at the control module, I replaced the module in my 03 Denali 3 times using rebuilt modules from Oreille's which are Dorman modules. I finally ordered one form a dealership that was shutting down and had a known good one that they used to troubleshoot with, it worked fine when installed.

with a dealer level scanner you should be able to see where the signal is stopping, really you could do some testing with a meter and track it down if you have a good wiring diagram

Neal