Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

06 hummer H2 shut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Default 06 hummer H2 shut off while driving

My wife was driving her 2006 H2 the other night and it just shut off doing around 35 MPH, she said the engine just shut off and the lights went dim then just off, she said the battery light on the dash flashed like 3 seconds and went off also, the radio stayed on though. She called me and after 4 to 5 minutes she started it right back up and got it home, any help would be great. I ordered a crank position sensor after reading a few treads on the GM forum, but I dont know if this is just a hummer thing or a GM problem

Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM

Sounds like loose battery cables. It won't be the crank sensor if the lights went dim.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Sounds like loose battery cables. It won't be the crank sensor if the lights went dim.
it has started the last 3 mornings just fine, have nor driven it though, could it be the battery?

Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by euro55
it has started the last 3 mornings just fine, have nor driven it though, could it be the battery?
if it dies while driving its usually the alternator. Happened to my Riviera years ago. lights got dim, if I stopped the engine would die. funny story, my lights went out due to bad alternator, and cops were pulling me over but I didnt want to stop because I knew the engine would die but I had to stop then call a tow truck.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:38 PM

its usually the alternator.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by hichamaziz
its usually the alternator.
Took it to Napa and they checked the battery and alternator and both checked out good, I did replace the Crack sensor but it did it again last night. I guess my next stop is the dealer...

Old 02-11-2018, 08:38 AM

I'd check the ignition switch itself, grounds to the engine block and frame and check the connectors on the ECU.

I've seen where the ignition switches can get worn out and cause problems and have also seen where a pin in the connector there got loose from the connector and was not making good contact.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 PM

Well its been at the dealer for over a week now and still nothing, the service manager has driven it 57 miles and can not get it to shut off. He also said that they would not just throw parts in an attempt to fix it. So now I have a decision to make. I do not want my wife to drive her hummer if this happens again for safety reasons. I do not want to sell it or trade it in if I know there is a problem and I surely do not want to endanger anyone else, any help would be awesome...

FYI it does not throw a code nor does the check engine light come on...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM

I would have them replace the ignition switch. It's not that expensive and it very well could be your problem. You have to start somewhere. Tell the dealer that you want it changed even though you know they are not recommending it, and that you won't blame them if it does not correct the problem.
I applaud your dealer for not throwing parts at it.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I would have them replace the ignition switch. It's not that expensive and it very well could be your problem. You have to start somewhere. Tell the dealer that you want it changed even though you know they are not recommending it, and that you won't blame them if it does not correct the problem.
I applaud your dealer for not throwing parts at it.
Thank you sir for the advice. I ordered the ignition switch off of Amazon yesterday and will be installing it myself this week...

Quick Reply: 06 hummer H2 shut off while driving