PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gm 6.5 td cuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Default Gm 6.5 td cuts off while driving

Hi guys,
Engine suddenly cuts off. Easy to start up again. 234000 km on the clock. year 1998. Puurs like a kitten.
Any ideas what is causing the problem. And a link to suggested replacement parts.

Thanks a lot 😀

Old 11-07-2016, 12:50 AM

Vangen,

If your vehicle is cutting out while driving or at idle with no Engine light on then most likely you are experiencing issues with your PMD (Pump mounted driver) on the left side of the injection pump. This is a very common issue with electronic injection pumps on the Hummer H-1.

It is not an easily accessible part, as it requires either removing the injection pump to replace the part or removing the left side intake manifold in order to access the 4 retaining torqx screws. Either way you will end up having to do some extensive work as well as re-set TDC (Top Dead Center) as well as timing. These two things require a very expensive tool that typically only a dealership has.

The other option to bypass all that extensive work is to put in a remote access PMD also known as Relocation Kit PMD which you can buy online through Hummerpartsguy.com or Predator Motor Sports or Tustin Hummer even sells this Kit. You Will need a PMD, resistor, harness and cooler which will set you back around $750.
This is typically the preferred route as the first route requires about 5 hours labor.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Likely a PMD, sounds like typical symptoms. The relocate kit is the way to go if you aren't very mechanical.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM

I would go with pmd every time. Big Dog Offroad sells a pmd relocate kit with everything you need and has a lifetime warranty for $429 i think. Randomly shutting off is only one of the bad pmd symptoms. If your hummer has random - i want to run over the car in front of me at a stop syndrome then its also your pmd.

The problem with pmd's is they normally only go out at the worst possible time. Every Hummer owner needs to have a spare pmd in the glove box. The pmd by it self (without the rest of the kit) is $299. Call my brother Eric at Big Dog Offroad | Where The Rubber Leaves The Road (website is under construction) 303.960.6676 When you order the kit we will explain how and where to mount it. You can replace it your self even if you have no mechanical know how at all, you will not need to take it to someone to replace it.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Default Engine quits when running

Vagen - Did you get this fixed? It's happened to me before. It was the PMD. I replaced it and moved it when an extended wire harness to attach to my outside of the battery housing 3 years ago. Haven't had a problem since. It's a manufacturing design defect placing them where they are. They can't take the continuous heat so you move it or you travel with one so you ca replace it out when your on the side of the road.