PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myron & Davis headrest DVD screen intermittent problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Default Myron & Davis headrest DVD screen intermittent problem

I'm having an extremely bizarre problem that I'm hoping someone out there might have an idea about. I'm not sure if these DVD headrest screens are aftermarket or original, the H2 is from 2004. They seem to match the leather interior perfect so if it's aftermarket it's pretty good. The issue is that sometimes when I start the truck the left screen will be scrambled and none of the buttons will work. Even turning the truck on and off over and over will only fix it after about the 5 or 6th time. The only other way to fix it is to unplug it from the chair and plug it back in. The DVD screen on the passenger side never seems to have a problem. These originally were hooked up to a separate DVD player in the back. I removed that and wired them directly to the head unit so they play off the head unit DVD and get power from it. Previously they were wired to the rear cigarette lighter plugs and it was continuously killing my battery (they would never lose power even with the truck off). They are both going through one fuse and then to the head unit. I really have no other ideas on how to troubleshoot this. If anyone has an idea please share!!

Last edited by hummer_on_fumes; 07-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 PM

It's aftermarket or at best a "dealer" option. Even with most dealer options like that the dealership itself still does not install it - they have a contract company come in that specializes in installing mobile electronics at dealerships.

The factory ones look like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/131537581348

or like this GM Part #19155608, Ebony Cloth DVD Headrest Set | eBay

Best bet would be to try and find an exact replacement one of those you have to replace it with or potentially an identical one but with different branding on it. Many of the lesser known brands of these are sold under many different names.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:41 AM

Def aftermarket. I have the same brand and they no longer install them in your headrests but instead made in a headrest and they match the color of your leather headrest. I've had mine for 8 years and never had a problem.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:45 AM

I would take a different approach. I would buy new HDMI monitors (you can get chinese ones that are pretty decent now and you already have the headrests cut, so you just need to swap them in for what you have already. You can get an HDMI splitter for a few bucks, and then run something like a raspberry pi with a USB drive on it. You could fit any number of films, or games etc for the back seat to watch and enjoy that way.
Pi is around $30, software free, USB had drive depends on the size, but not much, and then the monitors are around $100 each maybe a tad more depending on spec.. they all come with their own headphones etc.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM

For any other future poor soul who has this problem...
My Myron & Davis screen was model AXV 070. I found a brand new old stock model AHG 37L for $20 on eBay. Different models but they use the same connections. The way you get them out of the headrest is the hook on the back is not a solid piece but 2 pieces. You bend them away from each other using pliers to get it out of its holder. Then you fold the screen up and there's 4 screws behind. It's actually really easy after you figure it out. I unplugged the old and plugged in the new, screwed it in, hooked the back, and no more scrambled screen or constantly restarting. Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I had considered putting in something new but with 2 small children I have zero free time.