Head valve ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Default RE: Head valve ?????????

I finallygot a return call frommy service rep. Good news and bad news.
Good news (?):A bad head/valves was only his "assumption" and "prelimnary diagonisis" prior to having the shop check it. That is fine, I would not hold him to that as it is what he told me he thought it was when I left it with him. I was a littlepuzzled that he held the vehicle for 24 hours prior to getting the shop to make adiagonisis after telling me that, which he may/will need to order parts for.
[:'(]Bad news: After gettinga "official H3 mechanic" to run a code checkand diagonisis, my service repis saying it came back that I had a bad coil pack. He said they should be able to have it the part in, replaced,and I can get the H3 back by tomorrow late AM/noon.
Honestly,I hope that is all it was and not the head so they will not have todisassemble the top end.I am concerned thatparticular itemdoesn't seem to bea problem with other H3'swhile I had the same symptoms asthose whom have had thier heads replaced. Also, is this a symptom of future electrical problems, since it came from the blue out of nowhere? The vehicle was performing normally and this just popped up. Hopefully they are not just trying to band-aid patchanother biggerproblem. Fingers crossed and will keep a Positive Mental Attitude. Always keep that PMA. I will let you know how it performs after tomorrows pick-up.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Electronics as in your inginition pack is not a biggie and very common across the auto industry to fail...I will also agree that the replacement part is asimple fix and non-intrusive...To me, that is a lot better news than a head problem like first suspected...I can see why he jumped on that premature diagnosis as he was probably use to the 06 H3s, that have had a few of these with Head/valve problems...

Old 05-18-2007, 06:54 AM

Got the H3 back this AM. They replaced coil pack and plug (fouled out). It is running fine after being driven about 20 miles. Hopefully this is the fix. I would have to give them a thumbs up on this.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum. Recent '06 H3 owner. 2nd day of owning (brand new), Stab Sys/4X4 Service light comes on, took it in, had to replace the Actuator Motor (Transfer Case). Been reading alot about the head problems. My Step-Father is the Service Manager at a Cadillac/Hummer dealership and told me that it is a problem with a poorly built Cylinder Head and the new head is re-designed and corrects the issue. He said it usually happens between 6K and 11K miles, but can happen at any time. Does not hurt the vehicle to drive, don't worry about it, check engine light should come on, and take to the dealership. If they are a high volume dealership, then they should already have them in stock by now because this problem is VERY common and large hummer dealerships are being stocked.He told me the 2biggest problems with the06 H3 isthat headreplacement issue, and the Actuator Motor (TXFR Case). So, I'm 1 for 2. Love the H3 though, its a beautiful vehicle.Comments? Cheers.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: iflyswa

Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum. Recent '06 H3 owner. 2nd day of owning (brand new), Stab Sys/4X4 Service light comes on, took it in, had to replace the Actuator Motor (Transfer Case). Been reading alot about the head problems. My Step-Father is the Service Manager at a Cadillac/Hummer dealership and told me that it is a problem with a poorly built Cylinder Head and the new head is re-designed and corrects the issue. He said it usually happens between 6K and 11K miles, but can happen at any time. Does not hurt the vehicle to drive, don't worry about it, check engine light should come on, and take to the dealership. If they are a high volume dealership, then they should already have them in stock by now because this problem is VERY common and large hummer dealerships are being stocked.He told me the 2biggest problems with the06 H3 isthat headreplacement issue, and the Actuator Motor (TXFR Case). So, I'm 1 for 2. Love the H3 though, its a beautiful vehicle.Comments? Cheers.
Welcome, and make sure you say "hello" in our New Member area Here. Yes, we have heard about the '06 head issue, in fact, we have several therads devoted to it, check them out if you want more info. The transfer case actuator is also a known issue.

Congrats.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: punkrrr

After gettinga "official H3 mechanic" to run a code checkand diagonisis, my service repis saying it came back that I had a bad coil pack. He said they should be able to have it the part in, replaced,and I can get the H3 back by tomorrow late AM/noon.
We just had this issue as well. Got the "miss" in the engine. Started off maybe feeling it happen once while at idle at a stoplight. Within a couple of days it would do it several times in a matter of a few minutes. Symptoms sounded much like the head issue, and I assumed it was. But, I kept mum, and let the dealership do their thing. They found the bad coil pack (I belive it was the number 5 coil) and replaced it. It also presented with no check engine lights or anything like that. I would think an electrical issue would certainly trigger a light, but it appears that's not the case here. Had it back a few days with no issues so far.

We had also developed the exhuast shroud vibration, and the missing/loose bolts were confirmed (at my urging to look, when they said they could find nothing wrong, but did hear it too). So that rattle is gone.

My wife was also always complaining that AC was cycling all the time. She had it in for it once and they could not find anything wrong. AC worked fine, but sh says it sycle non stop. When she had the loaner H3, she noticed it didn't do it. So, we had them check it again while it was in. While we were driving this loaner H3, it too didn't seem to cycle as often as ours does. I even noticed it this time. So, dealer evaced the AC system, and recharged it. So far it seems that it is a lot better. Not nearly as much cycling as before.

Wife is happy.. LOL (she was afraid it fianlly crap out, out of warranty)

06 H3 we bought newin July/Aug of 06, 24,000 miles and only a few minors issues so far. Other than some minor issues, we're still happy with it.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM

Hello,

I just picked up my Yellow 2006 Hummer H3......23,000 miles...no record of head being changed out......
Mine is1of unlucky possible VIN # and Mfg 9-05
When bought it from the dealer they extented my warranty to 6 years /100,000 miles bumper to bumper.....

I noticed that sometimes at red light idle drops to about 500 rpm's.....

Is this normal or signs of whats to come.....gas mileage is about 16 mpg with about 75% highway .....

any help would be great...

thanks

Also suffering from the a/c cycling issues it does not due it all the time but once then about 1 minute later is this normal???

John

Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM

BTW, just to update. A/C cycling only seemed to be better temporarly on ours. Within a few days the wife reported it was just as bad as ever. Also, vibration returned. So plastic roof rail will be replaced. Tech did agree AC is cycling too often. Who knws if they'll find it or not. Hey.. it's back in the shop again.. imagine that. I think we'll be getting our own parking space soon. LOL

Actualy it's not too bad.. but they really need to get these same issues corrected. We've been in 3 - 4 times for the exact same ones.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM

I just had my plastic roof rail replaced........noticed after a weekend was that it was completely cracked!!!!!

a/c cycling is not very loud!!!!!!!!!!!! Is your's Fireman???

Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 PM

Had some A/C parts replaced and it is better. It's not gone completely but just marginally better. We are choosing to take a wait and see approach on it. It still cycles often, but maybe it's normal and we're just paying too mucgh attention to it. Who knows.

Vibration had come back before going in, but they replaced roof plastic etc and it's gone now. I never saw any cracks at all, but since they replaced it, no more vibes.

The AC isn't loud, in fact it's a little hard to notice. But when you do tune into it, you hear that it cycles very often. It's possible that it's normal, I don't know. It works great and will freeze your **** off.. so I guess we can live with it.

Quick Reply: Head valve ?????????