Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

subframe bushing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Angry subframe bushing replacement?

Was driving to work late last week and heard a metal on metal "clack when the motor RPMs would increase from a stop or after slowing. It was almost like somewhere in the drivetrain something wasn't engaging right away. I looked myself thinking U-joints or something obvious but this was over my head so I took it to my mechanic. He (also a hummer owner) said the subframe has a bushing where the front differential is held in place. mine was missing. and since GM parts are a joy to get they wont allow me to purchase the bushing alone and simply press it into the subframe. I must buy the entire subframe, motor mounts and all. I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else or am i just snake bitten with front end troubles? Is there another place i can get just the bushing from?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 AM

Plenty of H3/H3Ts have had Front Differential Crossmember replacments due to worn bushings. The front diff crossmember bushing is not a serivceable item. Although there are peeps who have used 1500 Chevy/GMC kits with a little modification and they worked great.

You may also want to contact: Energy Suspension and ask about the H3 Front Differential Crossmember lower bushing kit. I believe they started making a kit for us now.

By the way, the Front Diff Crossmenber has nothing to do with the motor mounts??

Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM

As another option, do a Google search for "scorpworks h3 crossmember". Replacements are out there.

FYI, if your going to try to replace the bushing yourself, removing what's left of the old bushing and the internal metal sleeve that the bushing is molded to, isn't that easy and the bushings in the Energy Suspension H3 front diff crossmember bushing kit are close but not the right size that's needed for the bushings to fit right because you can't compress them together to give you a tight fit (I know, as I purchased 2 of these kits and found out that they don't quite give you the OEM fit that's needed IMO).

Last edited by Bigunit; 06-08-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: To remove link b/c it upset Mutant
Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
As another option, do a Google search for Replacements are out there.

FYI, if your going to try to replace the bushing yourself, removing what's left of the old bushing and the internal metal sleeve that the bushing is molded to, isn't that easy and the bushings in the Energy Suspension H3 front diff crossmember bushing kit are close but not the right size that's needed for the bushings to fit right because you can't compress them together to give you a tight fit (I know, as I purchased 2 of these kits and found out that they don't quite give you the OEM fit that's needed IMO).
Hey, look who "swooped" in to hock HIS KRAP and push HIS Hummer Forum (nice "google" link to your forum) then "swoop" back out! Never posts here unless it is benificial to HIMSELF. That should give you clue #1. Cost savings? Notice he didn't mention that either!!!!!! Compare the above to an OEM crossmember? Do you have to ship your crossmember to them? Hmmmmm.... the price may keep going up and up!!

If you have any mechanical ability the Energy Suspension Kit is not that hard to install nor is it that hard to remove the old bushing as the above post would lead you to believe. Remember he is selling his stuff and he is a lawyer!

Yes, you will need to shorten the bushings (simple hack saw or band saw) and the sleeve (hack saw or band saw).

Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Mutainy,
The king **** of turd mountain strikes again! Sorry to drop a big log into your bowl of Weeties!

Not hocking my "krap" as it doesn't benefit me nor is it my product - just letting other members know there are other options out there, just like you did & people are free to do their own searches or not. You came here a couple months ago to "hawk" someone else's product (CB ucp) as I recall. I'm sure that in your mind, that was different. BTW, what would you pay for a new, OEM front diff crossmember. If you actually were to read with an open mind, you would see that there is a big $ savings. What would we do without the HUMMER forum Sherriff Mutant? I, at least can say that I have done this myself & have tested both products and know the differece between the 2 products mentioned. Can you? Please tell us how you did yours!

If you did a little research of who is making this product you would see that he probably has a little more knowledge about how things work mechanically, than you do.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
If you have any mechanical ability the Energy Suspension Kit is not that hard to install nor is it that hard to remove the old bushing as the above post would lead you to believe.
BTW, the dificulty of removing the old bushing (and I say this with DIY'ers in mind, not with you in mind because I already know you are "mechanically advanced") is well documented by others who have actually done this work before. All you have to do is a Google search on "bushing redux" and read for ypourself. There's some good info out there on the internets despite wha Mutant wants you to know.!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys, looks like i have to do some reading. I found the Energy bushing online, but where can i buy the scorpworks crossmember? and if i have an 07 h3x what style crossmember do i have?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM

With your H3X you will have the older style crossmember. I can send you a link or 2 on the bushing replacement via PM if you wish.

It really is not that difficult.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Smallunit, I don't believe a single word you type. Your lawyer double talk is like the Peanuts parents whawhahwawhawah. Must be soo frustrating not to have your little "ban powers" over here. Couldn't buy your way in here too?

Yes, I have done the Energy Suspension bushing redux. That's how I know that it isn't as difficult as you make it seem to be to HOCK YOUR product.

Here in the United States we speak ENGLISH and the cereal is spelled WHEATIES.

Last edited by TAINTER; 06-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Mr. Jackabone, your qenis envy of me, your jealous infatuation about what I do for a living and the obvious shortcomings of your manhood are becoming, in all honesty, all too transparent and downright creepy! You seem a little edgy - I really hope you didn't lose your job....again. A while ago, I decided that I would still read the info here as it is a good forum, with for the most part, good people but I don't post much here because of know-it-all ****** like you but if I can help the good members here with information that I might know, I will continue to try to do so.

Anywho, if you can get over the butt-hurt and qenis envy I suggest that we try to have an adult and intelligent discussion about this topic and not lose sight of the fact that we are trying to help another forum member here. Given the fact that you've never been accused of being a genius or better yet, half-way intelligent, I realize that may be quite a challenge for you but I'm willing to try. Are you? You had to have been that fat kid on the school playground who was always picked on. Only that could explain and justify the miserable person that you are - angry at everyone & everything. I am secure in my own skin - someday, maybe you will be too.

Until then, let me put together a few questions for you on this topic to see how much of an expert you really are. Because I see that in your attempt to help the OP and in the bushing redux thread that I referred the OP to (& not you), you and the thread have left out quite a few pieces of information that has transpired and been gained from those of us who actually wheel on more than just dirt Forest Service roads on an island off the Michigan coast and have tested both of these products in this application in the "real-world" and what we have learned since that thread was created that he should know so that he can make an informed choice of what "fix" may be best for him.

Oh, and before I forget, on another note, since your grasp of the English language is so "advanced" that you can spot and single out misspelled words in what seems to be in only my posts, you ought to try to learn and become functionally proficient in your use of the English language first in order to have any credibility when you attempt to make a wise-crack and factually untrue statement out of your ***.

People who pawn goods at a pawnshop hock them. That’s why such places are sometimes called “hock shops.”

Vendors who proclaim aloud about the availability of their goods on the street hawk them. Such people are called "hawkers."

The latter word (by that, I am referring to the second word Mark) is used metaphorically (you might need to look that one up yourself in the dictionary) of people or businesses promoting anything for sale. They are not "hocking their wares" (or worse, "hocking their wears"), but "hawking their wares."

Last edited by Bigunit; 06-11-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: subframe bushing replacement?