PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h3 radio swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Default h3 radio swap?

i have the standard cd player in my 2007h3, so i found andbought another factory cd/MP3 on ebay. well after i swaped the players andhooked everything up, it played for about 2 minutes and then the dispaly said LOCKED. is there something i need to do or is this a dealer reflash kinda thing?

john

Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Default RE: h3 radio swap?

ORIGINAL: jcato

i have the standard cd player in my 2007h3, so i found andbought another factory cd/MP3 on ebay. well after i swaped the players andhooked everything up, it played for about 2 minutes and then the dispaly said LOCKED. is there something i need to do or is this a dealer reflash kinda thing?

john
Yep you need to take it to someone with a Tech II programmer (dealers got em) and they will program the radio with the vehicle VIN. This is an anti-theft feature (or a money grab depending on how you look at it).

Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Good luck.

I almost bought an MP3 capable unit from a guy on another forum. (wanted it real bad)

Decided to check into the “re-program” before buying.

What a shock: Two different area Hummer dealers/same ownership…..$127.00 at one, $70+ at the other.

They also warned me that the program might not take and the unit might not work.

None of the other GM dealers in the area would touch it cause it was a Hummer.

Needless to say, I didn’t buy the unit. I’d rather spend the money on an iPod interface.

Please let us know how this turns out for you......

Old 02-12-2007, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Good luck.

I almost bought an MP3 capable unit from a guy on another forum. (wanted it real bad)

Decided to check into the “re-program” before buying.

What a shock: Two different area Hummer dealers/same ownership…..$127.00 at one, $70+ at the other.

They also warned me that the program might not take and the unit might not work.

None of the other GM dealers in the area would touch it cause it was a Hummer.

Needless to say, I didn’t buy the unit. I’d rather spend the money on an iPod interface.

Please let us know how this turns out for you......
Yes, it's amazing how LAZY some dealers can be. The whole reprogramming thing is a piece of cake, they almost should not charge at all. When I talked to my dealer about it, I brought up some of my other "problems" and they did it for nothing! Even if you have to pay, it does not even take them 1/2 hour to do ,so a big charge is rididulous.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM

I had hoped there was a manual way to key in the VIN by way of the radio controls, but if there
was....no one would cop to it.......I guess you cant expect someone to instruct you on how
to defeat a GM security feature............

I knew it was a pretty simple proceedure and thought they might do it for free since I'd just bought the car from them2 months earlier.

Oh well......they DO give good loaners though.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:16 PM

looks like i bought a paper weight. ill put the money toward an aftermarket unit.

thanks john

Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jcato

looks like i bought a paper weight. ill put the money toward an aftermarket unit.

thanks john
John, make some phone calls to your dealer and other GM service entities in your area.

Just because I had trouble doesn’t necessarily mean you will.

You won’t know till you ask them.

Since I hadn’t bought that one yet, it made more sense for me put the money elsewhere.

You on the other hand, have one sitting in your lap.......Therein lies your motivation..

You buy it from Nice Guy?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM

Hey I just did the same thing last week! I just traded my 08 solstice gxp for my 06 H3 and then i wanted a 4 cd changer. Got one off ebay and installed it. It did the same thing. Took it to the hummer dealership, took them 20 minutes and $35 and it was unlocked. But I did suffer the volume loss compared to the orginal one. Which I need to figure out how to resolve that. And that I am wanting XM really bad but the antennae is the same design as the one I have on my solstice. The shark fin. But don't know how to tell if the XM wire is ran for it or not.