PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

volant intake 03-07 vs 08-09

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Default volant intake 03-07 vs 08-09

So this might sound dumb but what's the difference? Everyone who uses the "air doc" tube uses the same one its the same from 03-09 right? Is the air box itself different? If so would an 08-09 air box work in earlier models? You reuse the stock maf sensor and housing I believe right? So is that where the issue is the 03-07 coupling is smaller then 08-09?? I ask only because I have an 06 but found a really good deal for an 08-09 and going from volant web site the only thing I can tell is the filter is bigger on 08-09 models. The inlet itself I should say is an inch bigger.. the filter length is the same.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks chris

Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 AM

I have a build thread on the other forums, I recently added an AirDoc to my Volant box on my 06. The box does push the MAF closer to the engine so you have to cut off 2" from the box side on the AirDoc tube and I took off another 1" on the engine side of the tube. It will work but the tube has to be modified.

As for 08/09 interchangeability with earlier years, that I cannot confirm. You would think since the tube is the same then the box would be the same but there may be different mounting points on the two different boxes.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM

Here's a couple pics of the install. Look the same as any other but as I mentioned, the tube has to be shortened on both sides.

Name:  20141109_123413.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  20141109_123352.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  119.2 KB

Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM

What made you go with the volant box and air doc tube vs the whole volant setup? Also I hope the volant air box still looks like that. All the pictures just show are an ugly all black plastic box now. They don't have that nice cover on top. (Volant was recently purchased by corsa I guess)

Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 PM

I had never really planned on changing the tube but got sick of seeing the factory seagull in there. When I bought mine the pic also showed the black lid. I usually order all my stuff from hummerpartsclub.com so you could call and speak with Dave who is awesome and see if he knows which lid you would get.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 AM

LoJac, I Finally got my k&n put on & was wondering what is the difference in it & the Air Doc & how much is the Doc? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails volant intake 03-07 vs 08-09-20141110_164757.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Tube wise, you'd have to compare the two with the specs. The Volant box and yours is probably the biggest difference. If yours doesn't seal to the hood then you're sucking in hot engine compartment air where the Volant box is bringing air in from the fender vent like stock.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Doc, i guess they're all just a personal preference but you are the Only person that i've seen that has one of these, i did see one on Amazon & they were a good bit cheaper & Nobody could tell me IF they add any Extra HP or Torque! Where as the K&N (the one i bought) adds an Extra 11HP & 9lbs. of Torque (i'm guessing that's why they're more expensive) & the guy i talked with said they sell 3 times as many k&N's as they do of the Volants (i couldn't find Any Reviews on the Volant) I also noticed on yours you had 5 clamps on it & on the other one i saw it only had 2, did you do something different to yours?

Last edited by mattdillon; 12-20-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I have a build thread on the other forums, I recently added an AirDoc to my Volant box on my 06. The box does push the MAF closer to the engine so you have to cut off 2" from the box side on the AirDoc tube and I took off another 1" on the engine side of the tube. It will work but the tube has to be modified.

As for 08/09 interchangeability with earlier years, that I cannot confirm. You would think since the tube is the same then the box would be the same but there may be different mounting points on the two different boxes.
Just curious, but do you think the air doc and the volant box offers you any advantage over the complete volant set up ?
I am thinking about just dropping in an airdoc or an airaid, and probably getting a new airfilter to go in the stock box, but wondering if I am missing a trick here. If you think the volant tube and airdoc pretty much are the same, then thinking maybe best to do the volant all in one kit ?! I definitely want a sealed airbox (keep the hotair out!)

Old 12-24-2014, 08:29 PM

I would stick with the sealed box personally. Being these things have a dedicated air vent in the fender to suck in cool air, there's no point in doing away with a sealed airbox. I guess the main reason I initially didn't go with the full Volant setup was the cost. Plus I believe it comes with an aftermarket MAF which I did not want. I've never really understood the point.

You can always throw in a more responsive sensor in your stock MAF if you really wanted to. The GTO guys did it all the time. I still have all the info bookmarked on where to buy the sensors and what not.

Quick Reply: volant intake 03-07 vs 08-09