PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire replacement question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Default Tire replacement question...

I have a question...if I have to replace one or two tires for whatever reason, and the remaining tires are in decent shape, not ready for replacement, do I have to worry about the difference in the tread depth? Will this cause a problem with the truck or throw any types of alarms because of the mismatch in traction depths? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-23-2016, 02:59 AM

Always replace two tires to keep the tread even on both sides and remember to pair them front/back and not left/right. You won't get any alarms/codes due to different tires tho. The front wears much faster on my H2 thats why after 1 season I always swap the front with the back to even them out.

Just out of curiosity what tires are you running and planning to buy next ?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Remember, it is an awd vehicle. Thus if you have tires that are not the same size it will change your gear ratio putting strain on the driveline. I dont know if putting new tires with old tires would be enough to affect the ratio. But i would definitely inquire about it.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanks, Malcolm745. What happened is I got a nail in my right rear tire, and the angle of the nail made it impossible to repair. They are General Grabbers, AT2. All new 2 years ago. So I had to buy a new one, and they shaved it to match the other rear tire, with the explanation of the and system and possibly putting a strain on the drive system. I just wondered how much of a strain this could cause with the H2. And, since normal tire wear already shows a difference in front to back, doesn't this also make a difference since you rotate anyway? Just wanted some other opinions from other H2 owners.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks madmayo.. I replied to Malcolm745 on this too... Nail in my rt rear tire, not repairable, so had to buy a new General Grabber a2. Tire rack shaved it to match the other rear, with that awd explanation. But I was curious as to why, with normal tire wear already different front to back, how much of a strain this would cause? For example, I could have used my spare with the new tire and put that on the rear, maybe, so the tire wouldn't had to have been shaved. Tried to ch the manual, and it never mentioned anything I could find about strain on the h2 regarding tread depth mismatch. Just normal common sense about not mismatching tire sizes, patterns, etc. anyway, thanks for the info!

Old 09-23-2016, 03:46 PM

If the other tires are somewhat worn I'd just replace all 4. However, if going with the same size, brand and model of tire I seriously doubt you'll run into any issues with 1 or 2 being slightly more worn than the rest. It is AWD, but from what you describe they sound close enough.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanks, skeptic, but the other three tires were not worn enough to warrant replacing, only 2 years old. they have plenty of tread on them, it was just that slight difference I was told could cause issues since this is an awd vehicle and the rotational difference from what would be technically a bigger tire vs the others, which could cause the computer to think there was a problem. I wasn't sure how much truth there would be, since it wasn't that much of a difference I thought.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM

What they told you is true and it's good they took the time to shave it. Sounds like you found a good tire shop that cares.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:39 AM

Thanks, calif phil, nice to hear a verification of what the shop told me. I can understand the reasoning, once I consider how the vehicle system would see the difference, just wanted to know if it really would make that much difference, especially since the tires were not really that worn in my opinion. Appreciate the info.