PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was it designed to leak ??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Default Was it designed to leak ??????

Determined to make this thing water tight once and for all i decided to strip the roof taking off the rails and lights and whatever . I'm not even halfway through this and already i'm scratching my head thinking who the hell designed this and what were they thinking ????

There's a rain channel in the roof obviously for the roof rails to drop into , though its twice as wide as the rail , and as far as i can tell there is no way the rain can escape this channel unless it finds its way into the trucks interior

Here's the channel ending at the front of the truck , there's even a hole in the plastic cover that the roof light is screwed to in order to let the water in !
Name:  hummerroof001_zpsb7c4881a.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  82.2 KB

Here's the rear , water can just run under the plastic

Name:  hummerroof002_zps32dceddd.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  84.1 KB

Further investigation mean's removing the plastic but i can't find a clue how to go about this , does it just rip off like so much else of the hummer trim or are there bolts hidden under the headliner ?

This is the bit i want off , i want to remove the whole length to see if i can find a rain drain (which seems unlikely) or maybe add one .

Name:  hummerroof003_zps0f080739.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  53.9 KB

Old 09-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Mine leaks somewhere too and it dripps eather on the left or it comes thru the head console where the storage compartments are i did take off the console once but could not find any evidence of rust or stain where that water could come from i did not go that far as to remove the lights but i think some day i will silicone underneath the light and see if this works. Good luck and keep us posted on your work.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:03 AM

Use black gutter sealant (make sure its one that dries coz some don't) remove and seal all the roof lights , then pull off your door rubbers and seal them to . Then open your sunroof and blow out the sunroof drains with air and make sure they work .

If i bought a brand new H2 today all this would be done before tomorrow because silicone costs nothing and neither does a half day of your time , but if it not done and water gets in you have several miles of wiring to get wet which might take you weeks or months or even years to put right !

Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 AM

all i can say is I went to town with a few bottles of silicone sealant and I *think* I've finally got it completely sealed and no water gets it. Sealed all inside the roof light hole and around it, all up under the top of the windshield molding and any crack exposed near the roof marker lights

Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Good for you accely hope i've saved at least one person suffering the headaches leaks can cause