PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Default Ball Joints

6 months ago, my mechanic told me my LOWER ball joints had very minor play (left side) and minor play (right side), and recommended a replacement.

Today, a different mechanic told me only the right UPPER ball joint bushings were worn and there was play within them, and needs replacement (i.e. the control arm).

The truck drives as normal and doesn't feel out of the ordinary. There is a VERY slight pull right (and the steering wheel doesn't "sit" perfectly straight if I let go...it is maybe 5 degrees turned to the right). Alignment check said it was off slightly for the right camber (just outside of spec).

I am worried that I might damage my tires (1 year old BFG KO2'S), and/ or run into a situation where the wheel could actually crack off (it happened to me on an old Mazda out of nowhere---dangerous).

My question: Am I ok to keep driving on it? What are the typical "symptoms" I'd feel when it starts to get really bad? I have to make a long distance trip this weekend and am just a little worried.

I'm looking at ordering 2 AC DELCO ADVANTAGE upper control arms (left and right--$122 each CAD) and 2 AC DELCO ADVANTAGE lower ball joints ($42 each CAD). Is this an ok replacement? The MOOG ones I was quoted on were $400 a control arm and $122 a ball joint.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Failing ball joints begin to loose the alignment settings over time and begin to chew up tires. MPG may begin to suffer as well.

How many miles on your 3?

When you say long distance trip, like how long? Long to you may be routine for others.

Since we do not know "how bad" they are, tough to speculate, but they usually do not suddenly implode out of nowhere. So if you are talking drive it until your parts come in to get it done, probably not going to be a big deal. Rotate the tires when the ball joints are done even if you still have more miles to go before a normal rotation.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 PM

Just under 100,000 miles on my H3 Alpha (2008). As far as I know, all original factory control arms/ ball joints/ bushings.

Not too long of a distance trip, about 500miles (which is long for me...doing short city trips daily).

I actually had the tires rotated about a week ago, but will rotate them after the work is done. Thanks for the heads up.

Follow up question: how are MEVOTECH parts? I was going to get AC delco but they're all sold out everywhere that ships to Canada, and MOOG seems crazy expensive. The MEVOTECH control arms are $130 CAD and ball joints are $13 for "original grade" or $40 for the premium. Never heard of this brand before.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:07 PM

My two cents: if you trust the mechanic I would get his opinion on how soon to get them. A lot of times if you take a vehicle in to get an alignment they tell you that you need a lot of stuff replaced because they want the extra work. If you get a big enough bar to pry you can make almost every ball joint or suspension part move. Loose parts should be replaced before it escalates. I have a 2001 Tahoe with all original front end on it. I keep it greased and check it. Goes straight down the road and tire wear is perfect. Food for thought is one of the most important things to keep up with on tire wear is tire pressures.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 PM

The lower ball joints are okay if there is a minimal amount of up and down play, less than 1/32". Side to side play is bad. The upper ball joints (control arm) should be replaced with any movement. I am not a fan of Mevotech, Dorman and Mas components. Moog stuff is crazy expensive but lasts longer and usually fits better IMO. I would try to source out AC Delco professional parts locally if they can't be found on-line. Canadians get screwed when it comes to vehicle parts!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:50 AM

I am looking for some good springs for me. Have you ever used some products from spring supplier Sterling Springs? My friend recommended me those but I am not sure about it. What do you think?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 PM

Springs? I assume you are talking about the leaf springs. I have virtually no experience with aftermarket springs and therefore do not have an opinion on the topic. When I have a problem with leaf springs there is shop not far from me that specializes in leaf springs. Just take my vehicles there.