PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat reduction hood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Default Heat reduction hood?

Does anyone know if there is a functional hood vent that releases all the HP robbing heat that builds up under there? Just sold an Unlimited Jeep JK that had a great and very functional "AEV Heat Reduction Hood".

Sitting at red ligths you dcould see the heat pouring out of the AEV hood ontop and sides. I was thinking the non-functional look alike could be put to good use like it emulates. Thoughts guys?

- N8!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Good idea... I once seen a pic of a home made hood vent for the H3... but have never seen anything available commercially.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 PM

I am going to contact my buddy at AEV and see if they could or would be interested in the same process as their Jeep hood. Again crazy functional and fit and finish, beleive it or not, better than stock fit.

- N8!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM

the only concern i would have would be the amount of electrical things under our hoods versus the jeep... If your a wheeler mud can wreak havoc on the PCM, Alt, and fuse box just to name a few...

Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
the only concern i would have would be the amount of electrical things under our hoods versus the jeep... If your a wheeler mud can wreak havoc on the PCM, Alt, and fuse box just to name a few...
Agreed, a lot of us have water hating goodies under there as well as just the stock electronics that REALLY loath water, lol. There was a guy on here with either a 3 or a T, can't remember, that cut out the hood between the reenforcement bars under the louver and I think replaced it with a functional hood louver. Don't know how that went long term though. maybe he'll chime in or do a search on it. You could always upgrade the fan. Need to get my temp down as well, hot humid summers don't help either.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Can't find any pictures of this, anyone got any ideas?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by N8Kern
I am going to contact my buddy at AEV and see if they could or would be interested in the same process as their Jeep hood. Again crazy functional and fit and finish, beleive it or not, better than stock fit.

- N8!
This would be a fantastic upgrade. AEV does make some fantastic accessories.

2009 Hummer H3T Alpha
2007 Jeep Commander Overland

Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM

I would also purchase this type of hood. I have looked under many fiberglass companies to no avail. On my old YJ Jeep I cut the hood on the sides and installed a few louvered vents, that like you said, dumped a lot of heat, seen while stopped of course. I have removed that fake Hummer grill on the top of my hood and taped off the holes that I had access to. You wouldn't believe the grime that gets trapped under that fake vent. I want to have the holes welded shut and maybe install louvers like I did on my Jeep. That is just a lot of paint/body work. It would seem there is a market for a fiberglass/carbon fiber cowl induction hood for H3,T's.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM

I have considered since my 06 H3 I-5 to add two flat fans on the hood and also thought the Alpha would benefit from this where the fake louver panel is and build a carbon fiber surround to cover it most of the time with some vents but make it so I could remove those entirely for hot weather slow crawling, when it was not raining. I was going to have them suck hot air up and out.
I have made some hoods for late model stock cars and exotics as well as ground effect parts so I have the ability but never saw the market to invest in building a mold for throwing some off.
Winter was not cold enough to keep me in the shop and have time to do that yet.
I have a two scoop hood on my Cummins but ended up blocking them off except heavy towing in hot weather. I did raise the boost from 18psi to 38psi on the turbo and caved in my stock air box lid. I installed a scoop with a grill in it and it has a space between the fender and engine liner for solids and water to drop out. It can be blocked off in bad weather. It keeps the EGT down some and helps the diesel breath while heavy towing. I also bored a 4 inch hole in the fire wall just in front of the windshield that goes to that high-pressure area under the wipers for more intake.
Name:  6x40372-1.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  34.0 KB

I'm not really a "fan" of running open intake scoops all the time as they scoop water and "stuff" but could force some heat down and out despite the tendency of heat rising.
Conditions in which I drive the H3 are even worse.
However in my archives I do have a scoop that at one time was available, for a price. Just to give you guys considering it an idea of the result. I don't remember the source right now and would guess they are no longer available, but again I would want a way to block it off at highway speeds in the rain and snow.
Name:  H320Hood20Scoop20002-1.jpg
Views: 6432
Size:  90.4 KB
This was one of my biggest projects awhile back. All carbon fiber pieces. It was to have a final wrap covering it all so I just shot the parts with whatever white I had and the orange just to mess with the guy when he was slow to pay. The guy moved off to California before I got to see the wrap.
Name:  Porsche.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  103.6 KB
Name:  DAH_1629sh5xb.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  91.9 KB
Anyway I look forward to any attempts to build one for the H3 and ideas you come up with.

Last edited by Hunner; 04-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM

Ok, now you are showing 911 race cars, that's my other passion! I made custom parts for an 82' SC I had. Lol! Anyway, my idea for a fiberglass H3 hood would be functional louvers in the factory spot, with a plate and water channels/holes underneath to protect from the elements. Then the back would be cowl inducted, that goes a few inches up and close to the windshield wipers to keep snow etc...from entering. Make it happen, there is a market for this stuff!

Quick Reply: Heat reduction hood?