Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

U-Joint/Drive Shaft issue? Not moving when turning.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Default U-Joint/Drive Shaft issue? Not moving when turning.

Last week I got my drive shaft replaced (2 rear u joints connecting them are new), the mechanic forgot to put on a new front u joint so I noticed a vibration at high speeds while taking my foot off the gas (Chevy dealer said it was a bad front u joint). Was going to take the H3 back to the mechanic to install a new u joint in the front. Today while backing up I noticed a loud grinding noise when in motion (low speed) and when I turned the wheels, to the left or right, going forward or backward, my H3 came to a stop while my foot was on the gas.

Could this be due to the bad front u joint or the new drive shaft possibly being installed incorrectly?

Having it towed to the GM dealer in the morning, but hopefully looking for answers before then.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 PM

left button, 4hi,,,NOT 4LOCK

Old 08-14-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
left button, 4hi,,,NOT 4LOCK
Thanks happythree, but its been in 4hi (not lock) the whole time.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 AM

Most of the time a u joint will explode dropping the drive shaft to the ground. Was the shaft stuck in the road and stopped forward progress?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Just heard back from the mechanic at the Chevy dealer. There are a few problems. First, the front u joint is wobbling, so that needs to be replaced. Next the guy said that the transfer case has a leak and the transfer case control module and motor encoder need to be replaced.

They want around $1,500 for parts, labor, and disposal to do the repairs. Cleary that is outrageous, so I will purchase the parts (need to find the part numbers) and find a mechanic to install.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:47 PM

I would get a second opinion, pretty rare that you would need both the encoder motor and the shift module. H3's had a common issue with sticking buttons on the selector switch in dash. Ask him what trouble codes lead him to the module and encoder motor.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:49 PM

BTW ive been working on these since they arrived at the dealer. When we were a Hummer dealer I was the tech who did all the work on them

Old 08-16-2016, 07:46 PM

so, i wonder why it didnt move??

Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
I would get a second opinion, pretty rare that you would need both the encoder motor and the shift module. H3's had a common issue with sticking buttons on the selector switch in dash. Ask him what trouble codes lead him to the module and encoder motor.
I'm taking it a different place tomorrow. I have no trust in that dealer who also said I needed to replace the spark plugs for $500+, not knowing that I did it less than a month ago.

But I will have the front u joint installed, since more than one place said it was bad and wobbling. I will also do the transfer case motor encoder. Should be pretty simple to do myself. If the problem isn't fixed after than then I will do the transfer case control module, which also seems simple to do. Hopefully this fixes the issue of the car coming to a complete stop when turning the wheels all the way.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:59 PM

did anyone think of shift fork on this 06 h3?

Quick Reply: U-Joint/Drive Shaft issue? Not moving when turning.