Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

problem with ac climate control need some help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Same symptom of one notch high heat symptom.
Repair time start to finish <15 minutes.
SOLUTION VERIFIED

Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
rsc

I've been looking for this thread for over a week! Should have searched A/C and not "heater". doh. Well, now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 AM

Just fixed mine by following the instructions. $2.00 for resistors + cheap 9.88 radio shack soldering kit = success

Old 11-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Default my 2.5 cents

first,from earlier,
It helps to shift to Low. However leaving the key on will drive you nuts so after removing the dash piece I put it back in park.
Disconnecting the battery would of course shut the dinger bell off. So I would recommend that and you can leave it in low to have more room, now that we know this did fix it. (fingers crossed
a simple mod lets you shift out of park with no batt,no key, no brake ,just shift like the old days. then if you're stuck dead you can move. jfwiw.
just kill the shift solenoid at the shifter. like stuck in garage with dead batt,or worse, on the rr tracks!
now my q?,
was this fixed in 08/09 or might I need it in my 09 at some point?

btw #2, there are two motors, left and right heat! I guess you could get fancy and make dual controls! let the girls have all the heat they want huh. actually the 3rd motor is mode control.

btw,as I look at the wiring,this problem would affect the "mode" control position as well. anybody notice a shift in the mode control? b4 you fixed this?

Last edited by happythree; 11-03-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by kavik
Just fixed mine by following the instructions. $2.00 for resistors + cheap 9.88 radio shack soldering kit = success
Did the exact same thing! Their 9$ solder iron kit was perfect.... Came with iron, heat sinc clamp, solder, and tin stand for iron! All ya need!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
RGD

Originally Posted by Hunner
Your post of this is the first time I saw the resistor fix. I guess I never saw or was not interested whenever it was first posted.
I would like to thank you for posting it recently. It seems to be happening more often to more people. It happened to me and I did the fix.
Since I see people asking about it I thought I would post how I did it to help those needing more info. It's great to have people with a common interest getting together to fix things.

The procedure here is the HUNNER method of installing it. Proceed at your own risk.
  • I did not disconnect the battery as I wanted to confirm this resistor fixed it instead of by some fluke disconnecting the battery did.
  • Set the parking brake. Turn the key on.
  • It helps to shift to Low. However leaving the key on will drive you nuts so after removing the dash piece I put it back in park.
  • Disconnecting the battery would of course shut the dinger bell off. So I would recommend that and you can leave it in low to have more room, now that we know this did fix it. (fingers crossed)
  • First you have to do the stick your fingers in the DC sockets and pull up and out.
  • I cut me a piece of cardboard for a work surface in case solder dropped.
  • I disconnected the plug from the back of the switch to get more room to work
  • Find the light blue wire with black stripe. I peeled back the high quality gooey sticky black electrical tape GM chose to use far enough to expose the wire back into the loom so I could slide on some shrink wrap long enough to cover the splice.
  • Call me old school, I'm old and went to school, but just as in my battery thread I make a physical connection first then solder.
  • I used some forceps for a heat sink.
  • I used a Radio Shack 68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. They come 5 to a pack for $1.30 or $.26 a piece.
  • If you don't know, use a low wattage iron so as not to fry the insulation on each end. Heat the wire until it pulls some solder as you feed it.
  • Use some fine solder, Radio Shack still has that!
  • Grabbed a short piece of shrink wrap I keep around. After the solder area cools slide the shrink wrap you remembered to slide on BEFORE you soldered over the entire splice. Use a heat gun carefully to shrink the wrap and secure and insulate your splice. I did not re-tape it at this time as I wanted to test it first. I will use a high grade of black electrical tape or some loom.
Now in transitional fall weather you can adjust the air temp but leave on the air conditioning to freshen your cabin temp and humidity!

A big thank you to the person who came up with the inline 68 ohm resistor fix to correct the temp control problem. Yes it fixed the problem. Cost to fix this was $1.65. Thank you

Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM
rsc

Dang it! I overpaid, mine cost $1.68.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Just bought an 08 alpha. And discovered that it had this problem. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the control unit. Sounds like there is something in the Portugal units that is weak and is popping with regular use and a battery disconnect / reconnect can also damage it. The resistor trick or replacing the unit with a Mexico unit seems to correct the problem.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the how to on the resistor fix. This fixed my problem and is a fairly easy and quick fix. Great pics to thanks.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:22 PM

This fix worked for me too.
For those that never took off console before (and to make it clearer for 1st timers)...

Put fingers in 2 outlets and pull up and out
If will feel like there are clips above the radio - there isnt
but the ac vents are sleeves that slide into a duct
so once you get the bottom disconnected, pinch a vent slot thing and pull forward
then disconnect wires as needed

Quick Reply: problem with ac climate control need some help..