PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please....need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Default please....need help ASAP

Im trying to change my wheel bearings. I got all the way to the hub/bearing assembly, and its seized on to the steering knuckle something fierce, which is pretty common from what I've read. So I got out my three-jaw bearing puller, and started getting at it. Well, its so stuck on there that I sheared off one the arms on my bearing puller before the bearing came loose.

I've checked and double checked that I didnt miss a bolt or something, but I cant imagine the bearing being THAT stuck...I took off the axle nut, and the 3 bolts connecting the bearing to the knuckle. Am I missing something here? I dont know what to do...My trucks sitting on jackstands in the driveway, I cant get it to a shop...I've got to get this bearing off, and I'm up sh*t creek without a paddle, or even a raft.

If anybody has any ideas for me, I'd be eternally grateful...

Edit: I took my puller back to the store where I got it, convinced them that it was defective and got a new one. But as I work the puller, its just forcing the stub shaft out through the back of the hub assembly, and I'm worried I'm going to damage the shaft, or worse the differential or something...At what point does the shaft stop going deeper into the diff and the bearing start taking the brunt of the force? What am I doing wrong here....?

Last edited by CurtisP87; 03-02-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:32 PM

soak with bp blaster make sure 3 bolys are out beat the h++l out of it with a 5 lb hammer it will come loose Just changed mine It hellps if you have on lift ,easier to hit

Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 PM

but will the stub shaft eventually stop being forced out the back of the hub, or will it eventually just pop out? I've soaked with PB, beat the old hub like it stole somethin from me...I feel like I might be able to pull it off now, but I'm really worried about the stub shaft, its been forced back a lot.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:58 PM

see if your auto parts store has a slide hammer [axle puller} an have them show you how to attach it. they work very well, the stub shaft should pop out once the bearing is remove.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 PM

So, to make sure we're clear...I should force the stub shaft out the back of the hub, opening the hole in the middle of the bearing, then use the slide hammer to force the bearing off?

It wont damage the stub/axle shafts or my differential to force the shaft out that way?

Thanks for the input, I'm beating my head against the wall with this project. This should have been a 45 minute job and I've spent a day and half just trying to get this damn bearing off. And I haven't even got started on the other side....

Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 AM

NO the stub will not go all the way back, The slide hammer bolts to the 3 lug nuts on the hub, just like the wheel. now use the slide hammer and bang away it will come off

Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 AM

youtube it there should be a video

Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Oh ok, I see what youre saying. I've only seen slide hammers that go inside the bearing hole then spread out to grab on to it, didn't know they had an attachment to bolt onto the hub.

Thats an excellent idea, I'll see if I can track on of those down. Thank you very much!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 PM

This method works. Use 2 fof the bolts on opposite sides.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Well, I finally got that SOB off of there. Well, I didnt, but someone did....

I ended up having to take the entire knuckle off with the bearing still stuck in it. I took it to a machine shop near my house, and they were nice enough to put it on a press and work it out (for a fee )

It took a 12 ton shop press to get that bearing out...Now to tackle the other side tomorrow, fingers crossed that one isn't so stuck.

Quick Reply: please....need help ASAP