PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Steering Shaft Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:43 PM
Default Lower Steering Shaft Replacement?

So I'm considering replacing my lower steering shaft as a possible solution for this clicking noise I'm getting from my steering wheel, and a knock/ clunk I intermittently get when making wide turns or turning over bumps while in motion.

I've read the GM TSB'a which say this is likely the fix, except my H3 is a 2008 Alpha (V8) and the TSB says it excludes "V8'S sold in north America."

My mechanic thinks this is a logical first step, and if not to then consider replacing the coupling shaft.

Has anyone else had these issues? The click seems to occur when I turn the wheel from perfectly straight to 10/11 o'clock position. Intermittent, not all the time, same with the knock/ clunk on wide turns.

Steering itself is fine it's just really annoying especially when it's quiet or on long trips.

PART is $150, labour 1.5 hours + an alignment (Canadian $).

Let me know your thoughts.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Not only did the TSB exclude all V8s, it excludes everything past midway 2007 production year.

Many people mistake a dried out steering shaft U Joint as the TSB problem. There are two, one under the dash, the other in front of the fire wall before the lower steering shaft. Look at them to see if either/both are dry (look rusty or corroded), lube the U Joints with spray lube, like white lithium grease or CRC Power Lube.

Do NOT use WD40, it is NOT a lube, it is a solvent and cuts whatever grease you spray it on. Garbage.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 PM

Hi Doc Olds,

Thanks so much for the advice.

My u-Joint under the hood is indeed rusty and corroded. I only have 150,000km on the truck so it's not terrible but I am getting that clunk and there is minor play.

Just to be clear, you recommend spraying the lube over this spot, as well as the connection point under the dash before the firewall (the end of the coupling shaft where that spring is)? Just want to be clear before I start spraying.

I tried taking apart the housing behind the steering whee and spraying a little under there earlier, to lubricate what I thought was the clockspring plastic contacting...but that didn't do much.

I'll try your lube solution before I look into replacing the lower shaft if that doesn't work.

Is there anywhere else you'd suggest lubing for these issues? I also recently read that you should grease the joints in the steering/suspension fittings regularly...never had this done. Would you recommend?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, you have it about right. A bit of spray lube is not going to hurt anything.

There is a U Joint under the dash, that is how the wheel tilts. Getting to that bugger is a different story.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 AM

Ok, I'll go grab some lube and try spraying it.

The under-dash wheel tilt part seems ok/ to have lots of the thick yellow original lube left. I'm not sure that's where the click comes from when I turn the wheel, but I'm beginning to think it reverberates all the way up the shaft from either the coupling shaft point u-joint, or from the u-joint under the hood where the lower shaft and coupling shaft connect.

Will let you know if this makes a difference!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:34 PM

Accept of course if you live in WI Midwest rust belt. Then your mini u joint coupling rots completely rivets and all and breaks. Happened to gfs 06 and my 07 H3 both. Lube won't fix that lol.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 AM

Doc Olds,

I gave the lower shaft a good soak in Power Lube at all 3 spots (lower shaft bottom u joint, lower shaft to coupling shaft u joint, and as best as I could u joint behind steering wheel under tilt mechanism). I waited 2 days, then coated all 3 spots well with White Lithium Grease.

The interior "click" seems to have gone away, but now the "clunk" in the lower shaft seems far more noticeable, and in fact, there are TWO separate louder clunks than before now...but only when i turn right. Always at the same 2 points, only when the wheel is turned right.

Any ideas? Or do I actually have to go and replace this lower shaft. My mechanic has the part ordered and is waiting for me....was $150, then 1.5 hours labour + 4WAL.

Let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 AM

On ours it was just toasted as I stated above. It is a lengthy job and is very, very, very important to not move steering wheel. It needs to be tightly kept in place so as not to frack up the computer stuff.

Ours cost several hundred just for the parts and numerous hours to redo.
I replaced the lower, mid upper/lower and steering rack bushing/clamp.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 PM

I've narrowed it down to the u-joint behind the steering wheel.

Lubing the others with white lithium grease seemed to stop my knocks. But right behind the wheel I get a "click" and it seems like it's from this u-joint.

I tried fitting the straw in and getting lots in there but doesn't seem to have fixed it.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions for this?

QUOTE=Happy Hummer;339773]On ours it was just toasted as I stated above. It is a lengthy job and is very, very, very important to not move steering wheel. It needs to be tightly kept in place so as not to frack up the computer stuff.

Ours cost several hundred just for the parts and numerous hours to redo.
I replaced the lower, mid upper/lower and steering rack bushing/clamp.[/QUOTE]