Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

how hard to change compressor 06 H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Default how hard to change compressor 06 H3

seems like the clutch has went to crap on my compressor. I need to change the compressor but have never done it before. I cant seem to find a lot of "how to's" on the interweb .. Is this a hard thing to do?
Thanks in advance
Jason

Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the help! Maybe next time I should mention that it is a green 06 model. Here is what i have found out. You need to take off the front left tire, the inner wheel well, the fan shroud, the fan clutch. Its a bit of a PITA to do just to get to 3 bolts that holds the compressor on, but its what you need to do. Hope this was a little more help than what I could find. I know its not as exciting as a color, or maybe the wore out question about the old head problems, or the excitement of graduating from a clown car to a H, but maybe for someone who has this spacific mechanical problem it will atleast ppoint them in the right direction..

Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 PM

Wish I could have helped, but I have zero knowledge on the matter. Glad you got it fixed tho

Old 09-02-2015, 01:49 PM

I have an 06 also with 112k miles. I think mine went bad too, the humidity has been unreal here in Hawaii with the recent flux of hurricanes. Compressor started making this super loud growling sound. come to find out it was the clutch grinding. I shot some WD40 on it and it went away. But figure I need to change the clutch.
My question is were you able to find just the clutch or did you have to replace the whole compressor?
From my research it appears that if you are going to change the compressor you should change the evaporator also! Not to mention to drain and recharge the system requires crazy special tools.
Just wanted to see how you went about doing yours.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2015, 02:26 PM

I COULD have redone just the clutch(I think), but I just decided to change the whole compressor. Sense the compressor itself wasn't bad, I did not change the evaporator/accumulator. Still havnt filled with Freon yet.......

Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM

How much was the compressor and where did you buy all your parts? Going through same thing now. Thanks!!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM

I got the compressor at advanced. Its a refurbished one and I think it ran around $250. That was with no warranty. In order to get a 1 year warranty, I would have also had to but the accumulator, and some manifold thing. That would have bumped it up to around $400. For about $450, you can get a new one.... You can get them cheaper if you order online, but time was of the essence, and I was/ am always on a budget.... You just gotta weigh out the options and see what works best for yer situation..

Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM

OhioHummer,,, I corgot to add that my compressor was still good, only the clutch was shot. Thats why I didnt replace the other 2 things. If your compressor itself is bad, I think it might be best (and recomended) to replace the accumulator and that other thing that i cant think of the name.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0027...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Got this kit from amazon and had everything i needed. Great price. Tou do need a 33gal compressoer or larger to run the vacum pump. Fairly easy job all the info is on the net. Inly tip is remove the swaybar brackets so that you can get the compressor out from the front. Good luck