PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Default H3 Tire recommendations

Hello Hummer Enthusiasts,

In need of new tires for'06 H3. Stock tires are 265/75R16 and planning on staying with that. Researching tires on TireRack and TireBuyer and have a few questions:

1) Current stock tires are Passenger (P265). I am towing a boat (19' runabout) and am not using for off-road. What are the recommendations on moving to the Light Truck (LT265)?

2) Considering the following tires at this point:
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

Folks at Just Tires tell me the SilentArmor had been replaced with the Adventure although the Silent Armor can still be found in stock.

Looks like the Adventure (LT) will cost me right around $1000 for four (installed with all fees and taxes).

Still in the investigation phase so very open to input/recommendations.

Thanks,
LifeIsGood

Old 01-18-2014, 03:34 PM
rsc

Most of the folks coming here want to know what the biggest tire that they can fit is or what the best tire is offroad. I applaud you for having an original tire thread! The BFG T/A is probably the best all around tire of those three. I'm not sure if it is THE best for your needs though. There are lots of highway tires for light trucks so its not gonna be an easy decision. Cooper makes an ATP or AT3 that is very good and should shave a chunk off your price quote, Discount Tire lists your choices right around $160 each.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Discount tire seems to have the best prices, plus a just bought a set and got free shipping.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Tire rack was the place to go many years ago, however over the last few years I have received many new tires, much cheaper, from discount tire. Check prices from both sites, get your best total shipped price.

Car & Truck Tires, Custom Wheels, Car Rims & Truck Rims - Discount Tire

Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 PM

If you want the best on road performance, go with Michelin LT. I had them on my motor home and GMC Envoy and they were the best.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM

I am looking at the ATPs for the our H3 that doesn't see alot of offroad time

Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks RSC, I was half expecting to be ostracized for posting yet another thread on tires (especially after I saw the Tires/Wheels forum AFTER posting my thread).

For the record, I do use the H3 during hunting season but current hunting lease does not require rough off-road (still holding on to a portion of my man card :-)).

I might consider a 285/75/16 if I knew the impact on gas mileage/noise/handling would be negligible.

Thoughts?

LifeIsGood

Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'll definitely check out Discount Tire for prices. Does anyone have information on the 'P' vs 'LT' designation? What criteria would determine if I need/should move to the LT? Note that the current tires are Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor P265/75/16.

Also, I was prepared to go with an All-Terrain tire but there was at least one suggestion to go with a highway tire. Although I am primarily concerned with performance on the highway (gas mileage, noise and handling), I do want the tire to look like it belongs on an H3. Thoughts?

LifeIsGood

Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM

I GOT 20 ON TRIPS WITH 265 S
I got A new h3 with 285 now tops at 18.

I
assume the tires.
btw I recently reported only .15 in wear in 41000 miles on the stock 285s

Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM

The more I dig, the more complicated it gets:
All-Terrain vs Highway
P vs LT....
C vs E....