PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a surprise today while changing oil.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Default Found a surprise today while changing oil. UPDATED W/ PICS on pg. 2

So I started my oil change today (2006 H3 w/ 75,000 miles) dropped the skid plates and to my surprise found diff oil on one. Knew it had to be diff oil by where the fluid had collected on the skid plate. Got back under the truck and saw that the leak started where the front drive shafts enters the front diff.

Haven't had any time to do research yet but wondering if anyone has had this problem and did you do the work yourself or take it to the stealership?

To make matters even worse it appears that my rear diff is starting to leak at the same point also. Not causing a drip yet in that area but wet where the rear drive shafts connects to the rear diff.

When it rains it pours lol lol.

Thanks for any help guys!
Kirch

Last edited by stvnkrchnr; 11-23-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 PM

I just had the front dif seal replaced on my '09 two weeks ago. On my old '06, the rear dif seal needed replacing a few years into ownership. That's two seals replaced in about 200k miles of H3 ownership for me so I don't think it's a big deal. In both cases the work was done under warranty at GM dealerships and would have been expensive without coverage. If I didn't have the warranties, I would have taken a shot at doing the work myself since the parts, at least, are cheap.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 PM

tricky job...torque when reassembling is critical. most guys wing it and cause new trouble.
an x pert can tell more!!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
I just had the front dif seal replaced on my '09 two weeks ago. On my old '06, the rear dif seal needed replacing a few years into ownership. That's two seals replaced in about 200k miles of H3 ownership for me so I don't think it's a big deal. In both cases the work was done under warranty at GM dealerships and would have been expensive without coverage. If I didn't have the warranties, I would have taken a shot at doing the work myself since the parts, at least, are cheap.
Any idea (ball park) what the dealership charges?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
tricky job...torque when reassembling is critical. most guys wing it and cause new trouble.
an x pert can tell more!!
The more I read the more I agree with you.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:21 PM

I had the front seal and radiator replaced and the total bill was a little over $2000. Just the seal was a little under $1000.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
I had the front seal and radiator replaced and the total bill was a little over $2000. Just the seal was a little under $1000.
F that!!! I'll be doing the work myself at that price. Should be fun and an excuse to buy some new tools lol

Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 PM

Take it to a decent local mechanic and get it done 1/2 the dealer price.
Chris

Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 AM

I just had my seal replaced last month for $140

Old 11-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by stvnkrchnr
F that!!! I'll be doing the work myself at that price. Should be fun and an excuse to buy some new tools lol
My 06 H3 w/ 70k miles also has the front CV seal leak. I bought all four and plan to replace them all in the spring. BTW, I discovered the leak spring of this year, but it's such a small leak (doesn't even drip on the ground, just a greasy area).

The seals are cheap, there are a few writeups online for this job.

I'll throw you a bone (I sure hope this is the correct one haha)

H3/H3T front differential removal, seal replacement, bushing fix.

Quick Reply: Found a surprise today while changing oil.