PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 AM

I opted for the Borla/GM Performance sytem. Could not pass it up for that close out price (approx $400.) It sounds and looks great. Has a slight drone around 2,000 rpm, but not bad.
Also installed an Air Doc CAI the same week. The 'ol butt dyno indicated the CAI did the most good.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 PM

I love my Magnaflow .

Old 02-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Hey Guys,

I decided to hit up my local Muffler Shop. We installed a Magnaflow at the Resonator - removing the Resonator then duel 2.5 inch pipes out the back. Stock OEM muffler removed. I wanted 3 inch pipes but was advised did not have any and that 2.5 inch was fine. Upon start up it sounded better and deeper with hardly any drone/resonance. But after cruising around town the last 3 days I am hearing some drone. I am already hearing sensitive due to an industrial job in my 20s working with construction so my hearing is already damaged. Not sure what to do. If the drone continues I will go back to the shop an request a Magnaflow muffler where the old muffler was. I will post up pics when time allows.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 AM

Is there anything out there that would make the I5 sound good? I've heard flowmasters on 4.3 v6 and they sounded lame. But I love their sound on a v8. How do you make an I5 sound tough? And 1000 for cat back exhaust? Not I stalled even? Wow. that expensive.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 PM

I love the Gibson extreme cat-back, and I paid $700 for it plus a K&N intake

Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 PM

My H3 is Alpha so I can't advise you about the smaller engine H3 but good luck.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by H3Ray
Hey Guys,

I decided to hit up my local Muffler Shop. We installed a Magnaflow at the Resonator - removing the Resonator then duel 2.5 inch pipes out the back.
Thank god you finally did something to your HUMMER! It's now been over 2 years that you have been asking about drone.
GOSH, I hope your new exhaust does not have any DRONE! I read somewhere online that "Hearing Doctors all the time advise stay away from drone omitted vehicles" .

10-03-2012, 08:08 AM
What about * DRONE * ?!?!?!?

Drone can kill your hearing over time.

Mine's an Alpha V8. Was thinking of Magnaflow .... ?

Maybe I should do the same, straight pipes and remove muffler.

I'm afraid I'm gonna be to loud, wake the neighbors, drone, etc ....
11-29-2012,
Flowmaster, for many years had bad drone associated with their mufflers. They patented their unique muscle car sound, but drone was an unfortunate negative that came with that Flowmaster sound. I had a Flowmaster muffler on my 2001 camaro SS and it droned really bad. And drone, over a long period time can do serious damage to your hearing. I love Flowmaster and theur unique sound bu the drone is horrible. From what I understand Magnaflow offers the sound and very minimal drone. I'm on the fence about what to do, but I'm leaning towards resonator delete and magnaflow or have a highly skilled Muffler shop fabricate a new system.

Question: If you cut off the resonator and add straight pipe, do you have that bad spoiled gas odor?
* Drone * is a really bad thing. It's very bad for your hearing. Hearing Doctors all the time advise stay away from drone omitted vehicles.
11-30-2012
Does your Billy Boat exhaust drone ( resonate )? Which BB Catback is yours? Pics?

Is Magnaflow the best catback for the H3?

I want a more free flowing system with a deeper, more throaty sound without any drone.

Thanks

10-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Got Pics of your Corsa? I heard the GM H3 Cat-back is very nice and no Drone.

Last edited by TAINTER; 02-27-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AR15wheeler
Is there anything out there that would make the I5 sound good? I've heard flowmasters on 4.3 v6 and they sounded lame. But I love their sound on a v8. How do you make an I5 sound tough? And 1000 for cat back exhaust? Not I stalled even? Wow. that expensive.
I have the MagnaFlaow CAT back for my 07, sounds great, when you nail it, she roars. In spring, it will have been through 8 winters worth of road salt and still has no issues.

I will add, the install took me less than 30 minutes and only one beer. I cut the OEM system in half behind the resonator with a sawzall, sprayed the rubber hangars with silicone, pried off the old out of the rubber hangers, popped the new one on and bolted it up, too easy DIY project to pay somebody to do it. Back in 07, I paid $430 shipped to my door.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 AM

First off Hello Hummer Enthusiast.
Kicking an old dog topic! Exhaust Drone! I recently replaced my 07 H3 exhaust. I had the Magflow on it for several years and just delt with the drone! I really liked the Magflow sound off roading and cruising around town. On the highway, wow, it was horrible. I changed it to the Corsa Performance. Huge difference! However, I could still hear, much less, a slight drone. Then I found something which raises a question! The vent hole in the rear door, behind the spare tire, could it be part of the problem. I removed inside door access panel and lined my door with floor floor mat insulation. I also covered the 6"x6" vent with the same insulation, this still allows the cabin pressure to release when closing the doors. Took it for a test ride and WOW! Silence! Anyone out there still experiencing the loud drone at cruising willing to give this a go before replacing your exhaust? I would be real interested in knowing if this would have fixed the drone from the Magflow! My theory is the exhaust noise is resonating in the rear door and the door is amplifying the sound, bouncing inside the door like a speaker. I am really tempted to put the Magflow back on just to see if that was it. May be a spring project!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 AM

I had the GM perf on my Alpha, never had an issue with drone and it sounded better as time went on. I have had plenty of cat back exhaust systems and i have done what Ray did at local shops. The cat back always sounded better, but on the other hand after of messing with trucks and cars, stock isn't all that bad.

Quick Reply: Catback Exhaust Options