PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a C.B.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 PM

got your message. looks good from what i can see in the dark pix. im not familiar with that mount but i assume its good huh. that big door should be enuf ground plane for cb freqs i think.

so, break one nine good buddy! im a 26 yr ham but still know cb lingo!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 PM

Updated pics, and THANKS HAPPYTHREE!
O.k. today I revamped my mounting situation.

The first pic is the mount (I made this from a piece of 1/8 inch thick stainless and painted it, then cleaned off the paint where I mounted the grounding strap), from the bottom up as it was easier to assemble from the bolt up:

10. The bolt (bottom)
9. Flat Washer
8. Plastic Spacer
7. Ground Wire
6. Mount (I removed the paint to help the ground, and applied some conductive grease)
5. Ring Type Coax Cable
4. Flat Washer
3. Lock Washer
2. Mounting Stud
1. Quick Disconnect (top)

2nd Pic:
Routing the wires through the vent, clean, easy, and NO DRILLING OR CUTTING.

3rd Pic:
Behind the door: Antenna mount ground strap (very thick wire), to the attachment point for the rear window wiper mounting bolt. I actually did do some light grinding of the surface paint where the ground ring actually makes contact, UNDER the rubber mounting grommet. A good point for a little bit of conductive grease (THANKS happythree almost forgot) and you can also see where the antenna coax heads to the door jamb harness.

4th Pic:
Through the door jamb wiring harness, and into the rear interior panel.
This was the most mind rattling point for me. Those little tree type clips, I broke two (heavy sigh and headshake), under the rear "HUMMER" sill plate. I was very careful here, I used a plastic coated hanger to guide the coax through the dust boot, and into the panel.

From that point I ran the coax through the inside of the rear interior panel, under the rear driver's side door sill plate, under the driver's seat, to the center console, and up behind the dash. The final, and only, visible place for the coax to appear is out of the small, un-used, black plastic, hole plug in the bottom of the dash face plate in front of the shifter (with a wire grommet installed there). The coax is 18 feet long and I have approx. 1 foot left out of the faceplate. This is also the point where I'm running the power and ground from the handset, under the dash, out the fire wall into the engine compartment (as oppose to running power from the cigarette lighter adapter that the CB has attached to it from the factory).

The CB is a handheld Midland, there will be more pics as I finish it up in the morning. If anyone sees anything I'm doing incorrectly, PLEASE feel free to chime in! I've not done this before and am just flying by the seat of my pants, and doing as much research as I can find as I go along.

I've gotta pick up an SWR meter tomorrow before I power it up.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a C.B.-pic-1-mount.jpg   Adding a C.B.-pic-2-routing.jpg   Adding a C.B.-pic-3-tail-gate-routing.jpg   Adding a C.B.-pic-4-through-door-jamb-loom.jpg  

Last edited by H3Coyote; 04-21-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I would not attempt a ground to the door, better at the chassis.

H3 rear door cb antenna install

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Doc Olds! THANK YOU! I knew I had seen that somewhere! HAHA, I just didn't know it was "over there"!
I'll re-route my ground to the chassis, also, may I ask which size fuse-able link I should use coming from the battery positive lead to the CB?
I'm grounding the CB negative under the hood (driver's side fender well) to a common body ground used by the factory near the battery.
Doc, I can't thank you enough, Great write up!!

I might just re-think this all, now that I took the time to read the whole thing. we have a lot of trees over here. A flexible antenna and thicker mount might be best.

Doc, you're the man!

Last edited by H3Coyote; 04-22-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: re read
Old 04-26-2014, 03:42 AM

I installed my CB a few weeks ago. Used a standard L mount on my spare tire mount. Ran the coax through the rear vent, behind the driver side rear panels, under the carpet in the rear seating area to the CB mount on the rear of the console between the front seats. Worked great and out of the way.... Used WD40 to feed the coax through the rubber conduit between the rear door and body....