Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

steps to increase towing power

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Question steps to increase towing power

Hello All,
i have read a lot of the posts about towing capacity and power (or lack thereof) for the 2007 H3 (NOT Alpha)
i pull a 20ft aluminum express bay boat on the weekend about 50 miles (Approx Weight 1500lbs). relatively flat land but quite a few overpasses.
i have just about 108,000 miles on the H3. it is in GOOD shape.
i am looking to add power or torque so that it is not so sluggish trying to go 70 in the interstate. i dont want to cause any problems either. the only thing i can see in looking up info is a suggestion of adding an aux Transmission Cooler.
what else could i add or beef up to improve the towing and/or power and to not cause problems. i am currently having the oil light (red icon) come on during idle and while i do not believe this is due to towing, i will have to get this checked out. therefore, if i am having work done, i might as well address the towing capability during current work.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM

oh, the only MOD on the H3 is 33" BF Goodrich BAJA tires

Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

When I had my 07 H3 (No 07s are Alphas) it had all the performance Mods: Air Doc Intake with AFE Air Filter, MagnaFlow Cat Back, PCMofNC PCM Tune, SuperModulation Port Polished Throttle Body, CSF Aluminum Radiator and rolled most of its life with me on Mickey Thompson 305 MTZs. Any of those Mods help, biggest 2 would be the PCM Tune and Intake with filter.

Keep in mind performance mods do not increase towing capacity, but they may make it easier. I towed a 23 Chaparral big block bow rider on tandem trailer back to NE of Detroit from just south of Milwaukee and ran 70 all the way (65 up some big hills, and 75 down the other side) all while tucked in behind an 18 wheeler. Overweight for sure.

The radiator was necessitated because the OEM sprang a leak which is not uncommon for I5 H3s. I would no longer recommend the CSF as the first one leaked in 3 months, and the second warranty replacement after 24 months or so.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:01 PM

thanks DocOlds (i saw some of your other posts)
so i was thinking to do the following:
Air Doc CAI intake
AFE pro dry FILTER
PCMforless

is Zoomers Catback exhaust nec? or even needed? and what about Transmission Cooler? i am in Louisiana so it gets HOT here

Old 10-16-2019, 01:27 PM

AIRDOC intake + PCM of NC.com tune is your best bet.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:52 PM

prob a stupid question but what part am i looking to order from pcmofnc ? is it under tuning & performance?
Tuning & Software ? PCM of NC, Inc.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by corillion
prob a stupid question but what part am i looking to order from pcmofnc ? is it under tuning & performance?
Tuning & Software ? PCM of NC, Inc.
Contact them with any questions. For the I5 I would suggest their "Loaner Program" where you fill out the drill down list with the tune options of your choice, you pay plus core loaner charge, they mail you a loaner PCM (or if 2008+ a loaner TCM as well) then you swap out your PCM with the loaner. Place your PCM in the box and mail that back to PCMofNC. They install the tune you ordered, mail back your tuned PCM. You swap out the loaner with your tuned PCM, mail back the loaner and they refund the core loaner charge. No down time for your H3 as you drive with their loaner until you get your tuned PCM back.

The other option is to park your truck, remove PCM and mail it to PCMofNC, they tune it & mail back (no loaner core charge) and you reinstall it. You will not be able to use the truck while the mailing and tuning is happening. Might be like a week to 10 days +/-.

You might want to keep in mind that you really should do whatever other mods you plan on first, as the drill down list of options includes tuning to match. Like you indicate you have an intake and Cat Back, they set the tune to take advantage of that.... otherwise you may have to send the PCM back for a change in tune to match what you do after.

Do some searches here, many people have used the above processes for a PCM Tune and you can read their feedback and suggestions.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:19 AM

thank you for the info

Old 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Oh shucks, forgot.... my 07 also had the PCMofNC Efan conversion. Doesn't make any power, but it frees some up by removing drag from the belt.