Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Where is the Air Suspension inlet air filter located?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Question Where is the Air Suspension inlet air filter located?

Purchased a monster H2, was told the air filter may be causing the air suspension to sag, changed the bags, not it. Now I need to know where the air suspension inlet air filter is located exactly before dishing money out to a dealership to run a diagnostic. I searched around the rear driver side fender but saw nothing. I would appreciate if someone can help me out and maybe post a pic of the exact location. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Forgot to mention this is a 2003 model, if that makes in difference.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Default No filter

To the best of my knowledge (by looking at the air suspension compressor schematics/diagrams), there is no filter. (on stock models)

Usually when dealing with the suspension system that still uses the bags and compressor (as most of the earlier H2's did back then), its either the bags or one of the air lines that comes from the compressor and up to the bags themselves. A squirt bottle using a soapy solution will help locate any leaks in the lines as the leak(s) will show bubbles at their location.

If you find no leaks, the second thing I would then look into is you may have a faulty suspension sensor.

Next, that control module (black square thing in front corner of the compressor that has 24 wires connected to it), may be bad causing the compressor to get the command signal to deflate the system.

If you're getting power to the compressor, then that would rule out the relay that sends power to the compressor. Sounds like a air holding problem.

By the way, I'd be interested in knowing, who told you there was even an suspension filter.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fyr145
To the best of my knowledge (by looking at the air suspension compressor schematics/diagrams), there is no filter. (on stock models)

Usually when dealing with the suspension system that still uses the bags and compressor (as most of the earlier H2's did back then), its either the bags or one of the air lines that comes from the compressor and up to the bags themselves. A squirt bottle using a soapy solution will help locate any leaks in the lines as the leak(s) will show bubbles at their location.

If you find no leaks, the second thing I would then look into is you may have a faulty suspension sensor.

Next, that control module (black square thing in front corner of the compressor that has 24 wires connected to it), may be bad causing the compressor to get the command signal to deflate the system.

If you're getting power to the compressor, then that would rule out the relay that sends power to the compressor. Sounds like a air holding problem.

By the way, I'd be interested in knowing, who told you there was even an suspension filter.
Wow thanks for the info., I will be checking it for leaks etc. tomorrow morning. About the air filter, I was reading up on other forums with people having the same issues but no one mentioned the early H2's did not have an air suspension filter. Thanks for the info, will update soon for anyone having similar problems with there rig for future reference.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Im actually looking for that filter too, I read it is not mentioned in the parts cat or service manual, but it is suppose to be there

Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 PM

My Aichtoo leans to the right, about an inch to inch and a half lower than the left side. I suspect I have a bad sensor on the right causing it to bleed air out of that side, or not even inflate it to the correct height. But I'll do a soap bubble test first before going further. But since it inflates I'm guessing more of a sensor thing. Unless the left bag is taking all the weight of the truck and keeping the right side from completely deflating? Have to check that.

Iknow, I hear all y'all, "just put coils under it and be done!!" Starting to lean that way...

Old 10-01-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhelm Juda
Im actually looking for that filter too, I read it is not mentioned in the parts cat or service manual, but it is suppose to be there
mine was located behind the plastic on the fuel fill. Removed the black plastic surround around the filler...and there sat an air filter/muffler thing about the size of a "C" battery.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:07 AM

On the 03 (at least that know of),
There are a couple of filters actually. One that is on or around the pump assembly itself, and one that is up into the left (drivers side) rear quarter panel need the filler pipe.

There might be a third inline further up... not sure since I know the 1st gen H2s had different pump assemblys.

Usually what happens is the filters rust and crap out on us.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Thumbs down What's up with that forum?

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Seems to be about the education system or something.

Quick Reply: Where is the Air Suspension inlet air filter located?