PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof noise and leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Default Sunroof noise and leak

I recently decided to have my sunroof checked out because I was tired of hearing it rattling when it was windy out and leaking if I went through a car wash. I took it to an auto glass company and as soon as they looked at it they told me that my sunroof would need to be replaced as the glass was separating from the bracket that held it in place. They provided me a quote of $1100 for the glass. I told them that I would like to do some research on this to see if any one else had this problem.

I started searching the web and when I typed in "sunroof separating" the first article that came up was something about a recall for Webasto sunroofs. In the article they describe to you how to check to see if your sunroof is one of the recalled models and sure enough mine was. So to any of you that have an H2 sunroof that is rattling or leaking I would highly recommend that you look into this. They allow you to choose the auto glass installer and they send the new glass 2nd day air.

I am happy to say that my sunroof is now noise and leak free and it all it cost me was the gas money to drive it to the installer. I just wanted to share this with everyone. If you have any questions about this just drop me a pm or I will watch this post and try to help out if I can.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM

What year is your H2?

Are you referring to this notice: Sunroof Recall - Webasto Hollandia - SunroofCheck.com
It seems to be specific to aftermarket sunroofs. Isn't the H2 sunroof OEM?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM

That is the recall and I thought the same thing when I started looking into it but apparently the H2 sunroofs were not installed by the factory because when I put my serial number from my sunroof in it came up as being covered by the recall and they replaced it without batting an eye. They seemed very concerned when I told them that mine was separating from the metal bracket that holds it in.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by oldschool71
That is the recall and I thought the same thing when I started looking into it but apparently the H2 sunroofs were not installed by the factory because when I put my serial number from my sunroof in it came up as being covered by the recall and they replaced it without batting an eye. They seemed very concerned when I told them that mine was separating from the metal bracket that holds it in.
Mine 2 trucks don't leak from sunroof but it does rattle if the roof is closed but I slide open the cover. I will look into this too.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 AM

I wasn't sure if this had been covered before on this forum. Maybe it should be a sticky so people can be made aware of this. Apparently Webasto had a bad batch of sunroofs which the glue that holds them to the brackets was bad. From what the lady said when I spoke to her on the phone eventually the sunroof will just fly off. All I can say is thank you Webasto for being on top of this and recognizing that this was something that was their fault and even after 12 years jumping in and taking care of the problem.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 AM

I recently decided to have my sunroof checked out because I was tired of hearing it rattling when it was windy out and leaking if I went through a car wash. I took it to an auto glass company and as soon as they looked at it they told me that my sunroof would need to be replaced as the glass was separating from the bracket that held it in place. They provided me a quote of $1100 for the glass. I told them that I would like to do some research on this to see if any one else had this problem.

I started searching the web and when I typed in "sunroof separating" the first article that came up was something about a recall for Webasto sunroofs. In the article they describe to you how to check to see if your sunroof is one of the recalled models and sure enough mine was. So to any of you that have an H2 sunroof that is rattling or leaking I would highly recommend that you look into this. They allow you to choose the auto glass installer and they send the new glass 2nd day air.

I am happy to say that my sunroof is now noise and leak free and it all it cost me was the gas money to drive it to the installer. I just wanted to share this with everyone. If you have any questions about this just drop me a pm or I will watch this post and try to help out if I can.

I'm assuming the labor cost is on us?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM

They paid for everything. Like I said the only cost for me was the gas to drive to the glass installer. When you go through the website that is posted above they even let you choose who you want to take the vehicle to (as long as they are a certified installer). It was really easy to have done.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 AM

They paid for everything. Like I said the only cost for me was the gas to drive to the glass installer. When you go through the website that is posted above they even let you choose who you want to take the vehicle to (as long as they are a certified installer). It was really easy to have done.
Thanks. I will check my serial numbers then find an installer.